PDA

View Full Version : Walkthrough Document

bettysgz
04-20-2005, 07:16 PM
I expected that there would somewhere exist a "walkthrough" document for SH3 like I've seen for other games where the author takes you through each phase of the game "step by step" and explains each instruction so that a complete novice could walk through the game. So far, I have not found such a document and would like to try a humble beginning - for the Naval Artillery exercise at the academy.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
GENERAL NOTES

You must set NumLock on in order to use the commands Pan Camera Up, Pan Camera Down, Raise Camera and Lower Camera. These commands exist only on the numeric keypad.

The wheel button on the mouse can be used in several circmstances to "zoom in" or "zoom out". When on the bridge, you can use it to switch to the binoculars or to the optical aiming device. I'm not yet sure of the circumstances controlling which is used. Perhaps when using the deck gun manually, the OAD is used and when the crew is firing the deck gun, the binoculars are used.

The Shift and Ctrl keys can be used sometimes with the cursor keys or with the mouse keys and scroll wheel to make large or small motions. The Shift key usually makes motions that are larger than normal while the Ctrl key makes motions which are smaller than normal. For example, when using binoculars, you need to use the mouse to move the crosshairs to the target of choice. Another example is when using the OAD, these keys can be used to help you aim. Using the Shift and Ctrl keys is a very nice way to have more precise control over these keys. I am finding these two keys are used in many places in many ways and I'll try to make a list.
ABBREVIATIONS

I use the following abbreviations. I try to use the same ones used by the game when possible:

OAD - Optical Aiming Device
TDC - Torpedo Data Computer
UZO - Bridge Targeting Binoculars
DOCUMENT NOTES

In this document, I do not refer to the 11 icons that run down the left side of the screen. These icons all correspond to the 11 function key shortcuts F2 thru F11 and I use the shortcuts because they are shorter and easier to describe than the icons. For example, instead of saying "L-click on the bridge icon", I will just say "press F4".

There are six icons that run along the bottom of the screen starting from the lower left corner. They correspond to six of the crewmen and to keep things short, instead of referring to these icons, I just use the following abbreviations. These are also used in the game when these officers send a message to the captain and these messages appear at the bottom of the screen in the center as a sort of log of events. So, when I say L-click on WO, that is equivalent to clicking on the Watch Officer which is the rightmost of these six icons.

CE - Chief Engineer
NA - Navigator
WE - Weapons Officer
SO - Sonarman
RA - Radioman
WO - Watch Officer

Academy - Naval Artillery Exercise

When you start this exercise, you see an explanation for use of the deck gun which implies you may either fire it yourself (manually) or you may let the crew do it. The explanation says, to designate a target for the crew, use the binoculars (shortcut B) and then press the spacebar. To fire manually, press F10.

Here is how to get the crew to fire the deck gun.

Press F4 to go to the bridge. Then press B to use binoculars and then use the mouse to place the crosshairs over the ship you want to target. Then press the spacebar which attaches a little yellow triangle to the target that sticks with it. This is one way to identify the ship you want to target to the crew. Now click on WO, then "crew on deck", then "man the deck gun". That is all you need to do. The crew then starts firing.

Note that you never have to fire a shot to get the crew to start shooting. This seems to be a common misunderstanding. Also, note that you never need to click on "fire at will". I guess this is only used after you tell te crew to "hold fire" and then want them to resume.

But there are still a few commands that I don't understand and would appreciate some advice. They include:

Under Watch Officer - Nearest Visual Contact. This appears to be a request to identify the closest ship the watch crew has spotted but I'm not sure what to do with this info or if it applies to manual deck gun shooting or crew deck gun shooting or both.

Under Watch Officer - Choose a deck gun target - Recommended Target. This seems to be a request for the Watch Officer to recommend a target. I don't understand what you then do with that info. Especially, how to find out which target he recommended and how you can see it.

I'm still confused about the diff between binoculars and the optical aiming device. It seems perhaps binoculars are used when the crew fires the deck gun and the optical aiming device is used for manual deck gun firing.

The biggest mystery is what is going on in the Nav room at the beginning of this mission. It seems the five targets are so close together, they show as heavily overlapping circles and you have to be a magician or something to tell them apart.

bettysgz
04-20-2005, 07:16 PM
I expected that there would somewhere exist a "walkthrough" document for SH3 like I've seen for other games where the author takes you through each phase of the game "step by step" and explains each instruction so that a complete novice could walk through the game. So far, I have not found such a document and would like to try a humble beginning - for the Naval Artillery exercise at the academy.

GENERAL NOTES

You must set NumLock on in order to use the commands Pan Camera Up, Pan Camera Down, Raise Camera and Lower Camera. These commands exist only on the numeric keypad.

The wheel button on the mouse can be used in several circmstances to "zoom in" or "zoom out". When on the bridge, you can use it to switch to the binoculars or to the optical aiming device. I'm not yet sure of the circumstances controlling which is used. Perhaps when using the deck gun manually, the OAD is used and when the crew is firing the deck gun, the binoculars are used.

The Shift and Ctrl keys can be used sometimes with the cursor keys or with the mouse keys and scroll wheel to make large or small motions. The Shift key usually makes motions that are larger than normal while the Ctrl key makes motions which are smaller than normal. For example, when using binoculars, you need to use the mouse to move the crosshairs to the target of choice. Another example is when using the OAD, these keys can be used to help you aim. Using the Shift and Ctrl keys is a very nice way to have more precise control over these keys. I am finding these two keys are used in many places in many ways and I'll try to make a list.
ABBREVIATIONS

I use the following abbreviations. I try to use the same ones used by the game when possible:

OAD - Optical Aiming Device
TDC - Torpedo Data Computer
UZO - Bridge Targeting Binoculars
DOCUMENT NOTES

In this document, I do not refer to the 11 icons that run down the left side of the screen. These icons all correspond to the 11 function key shortcuts F2 thru F11 and I use the shortcuts because they are shorter and easier to describe than the icons. For example, instead of saying "L-click on the bridge icon", I will just say "press F4".

There are six icons that run along the bottom of the screen starting from the lower left corner. They correspond to six of the crewmen and to keep things short, instead of referring to these icons, I just use the following abbreviations. These are also used in the game when these officers send a message to the captain and these messages appear at the bottom of the screen in the center as a sort of log of events. So, when I say L-click on WO, that is equivalent to clicking on the Watch Officer which is the rightmost of these six icons.

CE - Chief Engineer
NA - Navigator
WE - Weapons Officer
SO - Sonarman
RA - Radioman
WO - Watch Officer

Academy - Naval Artillery Exercise

When you start this exercise, you see an explanation for use of the deck gun which implies you may either fire it yourself (manually) or you may let the crew do it. The explanation says, to designate a target for the crew, use the binoculars (shortcut B) and then press the spacebar. To fire manually, press F10.

Here is how to get the crew to fire the deck gun.

Press F4 to go to the bridge. Then press B to use binoculars and then use the mouse to place the crosshairs over the ship you want to target. Then press the spacebar which attaches a little yellow triangle to the target that sticks with it. This is one way to identify the ship you want to target to the crew. Now click on WO, then "crew on deck", then "man the deck gun". That is all you need to do. The crew then starts firing.

Note that you never have to fire a shot to get the crew to start shooting. This seems to be a common misunderstanding. Also, note that you never need to click on "fire at will". I guess this is only used after you tell te crew to "hold fire" and then want them to resume.

But there are still a few commands that I don't understand and would appreciate some advice. They include:

Under Watch Officer - Nearest Visual Contact. This appears to be a request to identify the closest ship the watch crew has spotted but I'm not sure what to do with this info or if it applies to manual deck gun shooting or crew deck gun shooting or both.

Under Watch Officer - Choose a deck gun target - Recommended Target. This seems to be a request for the Watch Officer to recommend a target. I don't understand what you then do with that info. Especially, how to find out which target he recommended and how you can see it.

I'm still confused about the diff between binoculars and the optical aiming device. It seems perhaps binoculars are used when the crew fires the deck gun and the optical aiming device is used for manual deck gun firing.

The biggest mystery is what is going on in the Nav room at the beginning of this mission. It seems the five targets are so close together, they show as heavily overlapping circles and you have to be a magician or something to tell them apart.

MouseNo47
04-20-2005, 08:37 PM
When i get sufficiently through the campain i shall be creating a faq for gamefaqs.com.

It will include everything possible in the game and even have lessons for manual tdc.

But this is still a while off yet.

bettysgz
04-21-2005, 05:50 AM
I will slowly be enhancing my document - mostly for my own use - but also I'd like to produce a sample walkthrough for the Naval Artillery exercise in the academy.

If you find any info in my document, please feel free to use it in your FAQ. I have now updated it to include some info on the numeric cursor pad and the use of SHIFT & CTRL keys which you might find useful for your FAQ.

Keep in touch.