PDA

View Full Version : I so hope this DRM isnt used

Bob117769
02-14-2010, 11:05 PM
I read an article that DRM is being used in the newest upcoming Silent Hunter but it seems like its been improved to **** even more ppl off read here for details: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_Hunter_5. Can anyone confirm that this BS wont be on conviction I mean I can just barely handle the news of no SVM but if this happens with conviction I mite end up on the 6 o clock news as the next victim in a murder sucide case.

Isanator
02-14-2010, 11:22 PM
I don't think there is, can't confirm it though.

Isanator
02-14-2010, 11:29 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/foru...1091065/m/7221023828 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5271091065/m/7221023828)

Read that, I suggest reading the link too.

So yes, it does sound like it will have it, but all I could find was that guy saying it did, so, just a chance it doesn't.

But, in the FAQ link, it says if they stop supporting services on the game, they will release a patch to let players continue playing the core element of the game.

A Stealthy Lamp
02-15-2010, 12:27 AM
What is DRM http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Salacon
02-15-2010, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by Jawa_Slayer:
What is DRM http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif DRM is Digital Rights Management. It's supposed to prevent pirated copies of games from being playable. Especially the online portions.

Though, like with what I'm hearing about Conviction, some games try to force you to be online even when playing the single player, which, theoretically, makes playing an illegal version of the game impossible.

JAHman28
02-15-2010, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by Salacon:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jawa_Slayer:
What is DRM http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif DRM is Digital Rights Management. It's supposed to prevent pirated copies of games from being playable. Especially the online portions.

Though, like with what I'm hearing about Conviction, some games try to force you to be online even when playing the single player, which, theoretically, makes playing an illegal version of the game impossible. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doesn't sound that bad.
And from what I heard about silent hunter 5, that 89% of ppl will not buy the game, It sounds like 89% off people want to copy the game and sell it on. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Of course there will be people in the countryside that have no internet connection.
But then how could they type onto these forums t express themselves? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

GakunGak
02-15-2010, 04:25 AM
Library computers, mobile phone internet, wireless cafe....

Rea1SamF1sher
02-15-2010, 04:58 AM
If it would be a Steam competitor with Offline mode noone would have a problem with it and Ubi would begin to make good PC Games again. Steam (Valve) is getting alot of money because all guys who uses Steam knows that their support is fast and good. Games will be still updated after years. Team Fortress 2 still gets Game Content. And that's why alot are buying it on PC!!!!! There aren't many pirated copies. So guys from Ubisoft. Take UPlay as a competitor to Steam (with Offline Mode) and if the support is fine you will see that sales will increase on PC.

SA Snake
02-15-2010, 05:34 AM
Originally posted by Jawa_Slayer:
What is DRM http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

The Devil! thats what it is!

Sypron
02-15-2010, 05:46 AM
Yes, SCC will have Ubisoft's new DRM for PC's. Hopefully it will combat piracy enough to encourage Ubisoft to continue developing for the PC platform. They've been considering ending PC support due to rampant piracy.

My heart goes out to those people who don't have the internet connection required to use it, though.

Rea1SamF1sher
02-15-2010, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by Sypron:
Yes, SCC will have Ubisoft's new DRM for PC's. Hopefully it will combat piracy enough to encourage Ubisoft to continue developing for the PC platform. They've been considering ending PC support due to rampant piracy.

My heart goes out to those people who don't have the internet connection required to use it, though.
If noone will buy this game because of DRM, I am sure alot will pirate because they don't need there a constant internet connection. Then Ubisoft will make evne a worse DRM and it goes on... Make a Steam competitor!!!!!

Jamsedreng22
02-15-2010, 06:20 AM
No offense, but someone will figure it out. They have already made stuff go around Securom. And NON-steam games. You can even play Left 4 dead, Counter Strike etc. non steam :P so they will figure it out. Making it 100% pirate proof is not possible. When the coders get smarter, so does the piraters. It's sad that they don't use their potential to something good though.

Aj6627
02-15-2010, 06:20 AM
Make a Steam competitor!!!!!
Better yet, just use Steam completely.

Jamsedreng22
02-15-2010, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by Aj6627:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Make a Steam competitor!!!!!
Better yet, just use Steam completely. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
NO!... just... no.

Aj6627
02-15-2010, 06:43 AM
If we are going to have cloud based DRM, why not do Steam? It's better than this crap in that you can play offline with Steam.

Bloodhunteruk
02-15-2010, 07:18 AM
If they use the always online platform, I won't buy this game, I'll get better service with those other guys that hang out in the dark corners of the tinternet.

Seriously, if Ubi want me to buy their games, give me a good reason, my saves are in the "cloud", memory sticks are good for that, I can install it on as many computers as I want? There are always work-arounds for DRM.

I really want this game, so Ubi, don't force me not to pay.

It seems only some publishers have clued into the fact that goodwill from supporters goes along way. ****ing off the people who want to pay is counter-productive.

DeafAtheist
02-15-2010, 08:35 AM
I don't see the point in owning a PC without an internet connection unless all you used it for was offline gaming, but the suggestions for Ubisoft create a Steam competitor doesn't seem like it would help because that would require an internet connection to get support. So if people really want to game offline piracy will continue regardless of whether there's online support or not.

Isanator
02-15-2010, 08:43 AM
Why make a Steam competitor if Steam is already selling it..

http://store.steampowered.com/app/33220/

Jazz117Volkov
02-15-2010, 08:46 AM
^ My PC is on the internet and all it's good for is offline gaming because satellites have such a latency problem. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

bubbaganoosh
02-15-2010, 08:47 AM
I have no issues with DRM. I buy the legit version of the game so it doesn't matter to me. The devs have to do something. Their games get cracked anyways so it is usually a temperary messure but they have to do something. How long do people think devs will produce PC games when they sell a million copies (whatever) but 3 million poeple have the game due to pirated copies.

If people just paid for the game it would put these guys who crack games out of business and then maybe more devs will make more PC games. The consoles don't suffer the propblem as much as console games are harder to crack.

Isanator
02-15-2010, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by bubbaganoosh:
I have no issues with DRM. I buy the legit version of the game so it doesn't matter to me. The devs have to do something. Their games get cracked anyways so it is usually a temperary messure but they have to do something. How long do people think devs will produce PC games when they sell a million copies (whatever) but 3 million poeple have the game due to pirated copies.

If people just paid for the game it would put these guys who crack games out of business and then maybe more devs will make more PC games. The consoles don't suffer the propblem as much as console games are harder to crack.

The thing about DMR, if they do, choose to stop supporting the game, that means no one can play anymore.

So if they released Splinter Cell: Senile Old Man, that means they will probably not support conviction, because they have to focus on supporting the newer Splinter Cell.

AionKnight
02-15-2010, 08:54 AM
Only issue i have with it is that i might not be able to play with my bro using the same copy of convictions

NeonXXV
02-15-2010, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by Isanator:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bubbaganoosh:

The thing about DMR, if they do, choose to stop supporting the game, that means no one can play anymore.

So if they released Splinter Cell: Senile Old Man, that means they will probably not support conviction, because they have to focus on supporting the newer Splinter Cell. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They said that if they stop supporting SCC they will release a patch removing the DRM.

Sypron
02-15-2010, 08:58 AM
Please guys, just be realistic for a second. It's very obvious that making a game require constant internet connection is going to lock some people out of playing it, but it's only a small percentage of the market who don't actually have the required internet connection.

The DRM isn't to compete with Steam, it's to combat piracy. And even though it won't be 100% effective against piracy it will still be more effective than a lesser measure. Most multi-platform games these days loose money on the PC because the development costs outweigh the sales, which are always hurt heavily by piracy. If you put in some restrictive DRM then it goes further to slow piracy, even if it removes some customers and sales.

There are huge teams of people who get paid a lot of money to work out the cost, risk and benefit of a system like this. It's probably been considered in the past; the technology has been capable of it for several years. There are two forces acting against Ubisoft as a business. There is a certain number of people who do not have an internet connection. They represent a percentage of the consumers, and a percentage of the sales. Every year, that percentage drops as more people get connected. Then there is the force of the pirates. They represent the amount of sales lost due to insufficient DRM. Every year that figure grows higher.
Eventually, the amount of money that would be lost by alienating a portion of the consumers is outweighed by the amount of money lost to piracy, so it becomes more cost effective to satisfy one situation than the other.
This is just how business works.

BLOWITOUTYERASS
02-15-2010, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by bubbaganoosh:

I do too but from a birds eye view, I think that the reason why people pirate is two reasons, Because A) Companies don't make proper measures like releasing a beta or demo and B) the economic times, No one has money to buy games. The root of the problem lies within P2p programs and the start and invention of the CD-R burner , If companies are soooo intent on stopping piracy , they should just ban burners and p2p sites, but there is a pro side to it as well in some sense, things get discovered such as: If no one heard of elvis so to speak and hes not making any profits from cd sales or hasn't been heard of in 50 years, and someone comes across that song then there's another new fan born.

Bloodhunteruk
02-15-2010, 10:00 AM
What annoys me is the fact you always have to be online, if my internet goes down or something then I can't play the game at all.

While its true there are some people who will pirate something because they can, there are also alot of people who pirate out of spite towards the publisher, look at Spore and Mass Effect, people pirated those because they were angry with EA for putting such massive restrictions in place. Invasive DRM tends to lead to an increase in piracy.

This is even worse as along with an online activation every time you want to play, you have to be online all the time.. I see it as an invasion of privacy that they are constantly monitoring my connection.

I'd suggest people read the whole FAQ on it, as some of you don't appear to know what the thing really means.

http://support.uk.ubi.com/online-services-platform/

Why is Ubisoft forcing their loyal customers to sign up for a Ubisoft account when they donít want to give their private data and only play single player games?
We hope that customers will feel as we do, that signing up for an account will offer them exceptional gameplay and services that are not available otherwise.

Favourite part.

Sypron
02-15-2010, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Bloodhunteruk:
While its true there are some people who will pirate something because they can, there are also alot of people who pirate out of spite towards the publisher, look at Spore and Mass Effect, people pirated those because they were angry with EA for putting such massive restrictions in place. Invasive DRM tends to lead to an increase in piracy.

Just because people pirate out of spite doesn't mean that they should. The people who do that are only making the problem worse for themselves.

Most people don't look beyond their selves; they don't think about how their actions affect the future or how their actions affect other people, and they don't think about situations from other people's perspective. That's why when a company takes aggressive measures to combat piracy some people will think "This company is trying to isolate me for no reason! I shall respond by illegally acquiring their product rather than pay them for what I do not find satisfactory."
It just adds to the problem, and the next time that company makes a game they'll go to further measures to stop the piracy. One day they'll just stop bothering all together. No more PC releases.

Invasive DRM leads towards more piracy, yes, but it doesn't have to. People are just digging their own graves, and the graves of the larger community.

LCGuardian
02-15-2010, 07:53 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bloodhunteruk:

Just because people pirate out of spite doesn't mean that they should. The people who do that are only making the problem worse for themselves.

Most people don't look beyond their selves; they don't think about how their actions affect the future or how their actions affect other people, and they don't think about situations from other people's perspective. That's why when a company takes aggressive measures to combat piracy some people will think "This company is trying to isolate me for no reason! I shall respond by illegally acquiring their product rather than pay them for what I do not find satisfactory."
It just adds to the problem, and the next time that company makes a game they'll go to further measures to stop the piracy. One day they'll just stop bothering all together. No more PC releases.

Invasive DRM leads towards more piracy, yes, but it doesn't have to. People are just digging their own graves, and the graves of the larger community. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can see the argument clearly, but I'm not sure this DRM is the answer. A system which forces those who wish to play the game into acting illegally because their internet connection is insufficient just does not sound that great. In that case, some people will not act illegally because they are too stingy to purchase - they will act illegally because they are forced to when they were prepared to legally pay for the product. In an age where piracy on PC is running rampant, doesn't a system designed to combat this but instead encouraging it fail?

Sypron
02-16-2010, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by LCGuardian:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sypron:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bloodhunteruk:

Invasive DRM leads towards more piracy, yes, but it doesn't have to. People are just digging their own graves, and the graves of the larger community. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can see the argument clearly, but I'm not sure this DRM is the answer. A system which forces those who wish to play the game into acting illegally because their internet connection is insufficient just does not sound that great. In that case, some people will not act illegally because they are too stingy to purchase - they will act illegally because they are forced to when they were prepared to legally pay for the product. In an age where piracy on PC is running rampant, doesn't a system designed to combat this but instead encouraging it fail? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You talk as if no one has access to the internet. Like it's some luxury item reserved only for royalty and government. Think about just how many PC gamers don't have internet access, it is a very small portion of the market.

Most people who wish to play the game will have no trouble in doing so.

And the DRM does not force people to pirate the game. There is still the option of PAYING for the game, legally, then cracking it to work where there is no internet access. If piracy is possible, then it is possible for people to remain moral and purchase the game then manipulate it to work in their environment.

No one is ever forced to act illegally. They choose to do so.

WhiteKnight77
02-16-2010, 10:29 AM

You talk as if no one has access to the internet. Like it's some luxury item reserved only for royalty and government. Think about just how many PC gamers don't have internet access, it is a very small portion of the market.

And the DRM does not force people to pirate the game. There is still the option of PAYING for the game, legally, then cracking it to work where there is no internet access. If piracy is possible, then it is possible for people to remain moral and purchase the game then manipulate it to work in their environment.

Would you pay for the hotel's internet connection over and above the free service they provide so you can stay connected during a game playing session? I stayed at a hotel in the Netherlands for 3 months and the free service was junk. Paying for it would have been $25 or more a day. Would you pay that just to play an SP game? I wouldn't and I spend a lot of time in hotel rooms.

Bob117769
02-16-2010, 12:37 PM
All this pirate talk you ever thing that maybe the pirate rly just doesnt care and just wants the game for free. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif In the long term the pirates always win and with enough time the game is always cracked. My topic starting post was all exaggeration. Oh don't worry I plan to buy the game when the price has dropped to around $10. Although I have a feeling I will be playing before then........ http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Sypron
02-16-2010, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by WhiteKnight77:
Would you pay for the hotel's internet connection over and above the free service they provide so you can stay connected during a game playing session? I stayed at a hotel in the Netherlands for 3 months and the free service was junk. Paying for it would have been $25 or more a day. Would you pay that just to play an SP game? I wouldn't and I spend a lot of time in hotel rooms.

The DRM does not force people you pirate the game. There is still the option of PAYING for the game, legally, then cracking it to work where there is no internet access. If cracking the game is possible, then it is possible for you to remain moral and purchase the game then manipulate it to work in your environment.

LCGuardian
02-17-2010, 05:14 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LCGuardian:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sypron:

I can see the argument clearly, but I'm not sure this DRM is the answer. A system which forces those who wish to play the game into acting illegally because their internet connection is insufficient just does not sound that great. In that case, some people will not act illegally because they are too stingy to purchase - they will act illegally because they are forced to when they were prepared to legally pay for the product. In an age where piracy on PC is running rampant, doesn't a system designed to combat this but instead encouraging it fail? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No one is ever forced to act illegally. They choose to do so. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But if its the same DRM as AC2 (and I assume it will be), there has to be a continuous connection or the game freezes. Can all PC gamers ensure that they will have an uninterrupted broadband connection? I think its a legitimate concern for some PC gamers.

WhiteKnight77
02-17-2010, 08:34 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WhiteKnight77:

The DRM does not force people you pirate the game. There is still the option of PAYING for the game, legally, then cracking it to work where there is no internet access. If cracking the game is possible, then it is possible for you to remain moral and purchase the game then manipulate it to work in your environment.

No one is ever forced to act illegally. They choose to do so. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have around $600 worth of Ubisoft games, some are even duplicates. I probably have a good $2000 worth of games and payware mods (Flight Simulator) and not one is pirated.

I was talking about an internet connection. As it appears you have never spent a night in a hotel room, you missed the point. While most hotels here in the States offer free internet, hotels in Europe offer free internet at worse than dial-up speeds, if they offer internet at all. They do offer faster speeds, but you have to pay for it, at least $25 a day or more.

My job keeps me on the road. In 4 years time, I have been to Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, South Carolina, Florida, Virginia, Iowa, North Carolina, Georgia and The Netherlands. I have lived in hotel rooms for up to 13 months. I may have spent 8 months at home in those 4 years and I am fixing to head out of town again next week for a month. Tell me why I should have to pay to play an SP game that requires a persistant internet connection.

Bloodhunteruk
02-18-2010, 02:07 AM
I'm fine with DRM, I bought every splinter cell before this, but having drm THAT QUITS YOUR GAME, if you lose connection to the internet is stupid.

I just bought a new pc, my wireless on it is a bit unstable, I don't want to lose my progress if my wireless cuts out.

I wonder, can I send Ubi a envelope with £35 in it and just download it?