PDA

View Full Version : Audio issue with 1.1 (with more info than "needs to be better," LOL)...

XyZspineZyX
08-14-2003, 04:09 AM
Greetings, folks.

An audio issue I have experienced since installing 1.1...

At some point in the flight, the audio level was suddenly dropping by 1/2 and staying that way. The engines, the guns, etc. were much lower than before. I have replicated the problem with multiple planes on multiple maps, so it is not isolated to a single plane model or map.

After more testing, I seem to have determined when it occurs. And to give you a more accurate description of the altered audio, it gets stuck at the same level your engine volume is dropped to when you fire your guns and the second after firing, before the other game audio fades back in and resumes normally.

Well, this phenomenon of having audio "drowned out" also occurs when you are in the vicinity of enemies. I noticed when I first approached AAA or armor and they shot at me, the game volume immediately dropped by 1/2. However, the volume remains low even after they are done firing or I have left their area. Plus, the AAA explosions are reduced in audio level too. My plane's guns also are dropped to the same low audio level as my engines in these cases. All audio gets stuck in a low level. Once, it slowly faded back in to the normal level (or close to it) after I had killed all ground targets (Armor), but it took more than a minute after they were destroyed before audio came back.

I have switched audio settings but the problem still occurs.

Any suggestions?

Sorry if this is a repost. I didn't see anyone else describe the same symptoms.

XyZspineZyX
08-14-2003, 04:09 AM
Greetings, folks.

An audio issue I have experienced since installing 1.1...

At some point in the flight, the audio level was suddenly dropping by 1/2 and staying that way. The engines, the guns, etc. were much lower than before. I have replicated the problem with multiple planes on multiple maps, so it is not isolated to a single plane model or map.

After more testing, I seem to have determined when it occurs. And to give you a more accurate description of the altered audio, it gets stuck at the same level your engine volume is dropped to when you fire your guns and the second after firing, before the other game audio fades back in and resumes normally.

Well, this phenomenon of having audio "drowned out" also occurs when you are in the vicinity of enemies. I noticed when I first approached AAA or armor and they shot at me, the game volume immediately dropped by 1/2. However, the volume remains low even after they are done firing or I have left their area. Plus, the AAA explosions are reduced in audio level too. My plane's guns also are dropped to the same low audio level as my engines in these cases. All audio gets stuck in a low level. Once, it slowly faded back in to the normal level (or close to it) after I had killed all ground targets (Armor), but it took more than a minute after they were destroyed before audio came back.

I have switched audio settings but the problem still occurs.

Any suggestions?

Sorry if this is a repost. I didn't see anyone else describe the same symptoms.

XyZspineZyX
08-14-2003, 04:22 AM
Ztownpirate, I've had the same thing happen to me. One thing I've noticed is that the radio transmissions are still normal volume for me. Don't feel like the Lone Ranger.
Now, off to e-mail (another) bug report.

Blotto

"Only the spirit of attack, born in a brave heart, will bring success to any fighter craft, no matter how technically advanced." - A. Galland

"Look, do you want the jets, or would you rather I slap the props back on?" - W. Messerschmitt

XyZspineZyX
08-14-2003, 04:28 AM
Try using the default setting's in hardware /sound

XyZspineZyX
08-14-2003, 04:37 AM
Again, I have tried each audio setting. Default was what I originally had it on when the problem surfaced.

XyZspineZyX
08-14-2003, 06:12 AM
Same here, with Audigy2 card.

Doesn't happen too often!
Only on map of Finland so far.

F19_Choocky

http://www.f19vs.tk/

XyZspineZyX
08-14-2003, 07:03 AM
Same here.

Nforce audio, different settings although not every combination.

Also I noticed with Audio Extensions on (EAX?) the sound is VERY bass-ey and with it off it's too tinny.

Funny that other than these issues the actual sounds; engine, guns, flak are all improved quality wise.

I can live with it for now but I hope they issue a fix instead of waiting months for the follow-up patch. I'm quite sure they are aware of it by now.

I'm not one to complain but it's odd that a problem this big and widespread got through the testing.

<center>http://members.rogers.com/4xtreme/chbanner.jpg

XyZspineZyX
08-14-2003, 01:01 PM
ztown...I ahve the same problem too. I use stero headphones and an onboard ac97 soundcard. So it's not any particular soundcard problem. It's a universal problem. Like you i ahve tried many different settings and nothing works. If nayone hears of a fix let em know but i really think it is a bug that will ahve to be fixed in teh next patch.

XyZspineZyX
08-14-2003, 03:04 PM
I thought the word had gotten out on this by now...sorry, but there is almost certainly nothing you can do about this problem. Not by changing your settings, not by changing your hardware. Nothing.

At least nobody ever came up with a fix in all the time we were running Beta 8, which had exactly the same problem. All sorts of people using all sorts of setups tried all sorts of things, and some of those people were very competent. Check the back threads at SimHQ. Nothing worked.

The one thing that does relieve some of the problems a little bit is to make sure you're running 32 sound channels. Anything less and you lose your engine sound when you open fire with the multi-gun fighters. But that doesn't correct the major bug you're talking about.

The problem seems to be that the new sound system is not handling compression properly. You'll notice that the bug usually kicks in under conditions of sudden heavy sound input, such as flak bursts or bomb explosions. Evidently it gets overloaded.

Which should not happen in a properly designed system, and should not be difficult to fix, and I'm still amazed they haven't fixed it, since they've known about it for at least a month. It didn't "slip by" in the testing process. It's been a well-known problem at least since Beta 8 came out.

If you want to go digging through back threads at SimHQ, you will find that this was extensively discussed, and officially reported, by the users of the leaked betas, and that Maddox personally acknowledged receiving the information and thanked Ian Boys for collecting it. It seems safe to assume, then, that the official beta testers reported it as well; but even if through some incredible oversight they missed it, it definitely WAS reported.

But anyway, you're not going to fix it yourself, and you might screw up your system trying unless you know what you're doing; and you certainly shouldn't waste money on new hardware in the hope of correcting it. The bug is wired into the new sound system which we were told would be so wonderful. (And no, you can't replace it with the old sound. That's been tried too.)

This is one of those "Is bug, we fix" things. Only this time we not fix. We not even admit bug is exist, so far. At least if anybody official, Maddox or Ubi, has so much as mentioned this major bug, I missed it.

Well, maybe they've been trying for a month to fix it and still haven't come up with a solution. But they definitely know about it. Repeat, THEY KNOW ABOUT IT, and have for weeks at least. Even if they're trying to pretend otherwise.

So sending in a bug report on this one is a waste of time. As is trying to fix it yourself, unless you have truly impressive skills and resources. (If you do find a fix, you ought to approach Maddox for a job; you obviously know more than anybody he's got on the team.) All we can do, as usual, is sit back and wait for the next patch and hope it gets fixed, and wonder what the next patch will screw up.

Meanwhile, I don't know about you guys but I've been having a hell of a good time with FS2K2 and I think I'll just go on doing that for a while. You young guys can fantasize about being war heroes; I'll just fantasize about being rich enough to own my own airplanes...and try to forget that I spent forty bucks on this thing....

Blind Joe Death

aka
inada
Mulla Stondaa
Hugh G. Rexion
Heywood Jablomi
I.P. Innuendo
mogilshchik
bezumniy

(Don't tell me you didn't know.)

XyZspineZyX
08-14-2003, 03:21 PM
I got exactly the same problem.. but what is funny that only in Single player.. and mostly when I fly Stuka on QMB.. i get the 50% sound reduction.. Really Annoys me! And I can't use hardware on FB, it reduces sound volume too.. though it adds a nice bass-boost, but somehow I Don't think it should do that?

Audio is still cramped with 1.1.. My sound card is Hercules GameTheater XP 7.1...

Official Sig:

<center>http://koti.mbnet.fi/vipez/shots/Vipez4.jpg </center>

XyZspineZyX
08-14-2003, 03:24 PM
Blind_Joe_Death wrote:
-
- Meanwhile, I don't know about you guys but I've been
- having a hell of a good time with FS2K2 and I think
- I'll just go on doing that for a while. You young
- guys can fantasize about being war heroes; I'll just
- fantasize about being rich enough to own my own
- airplanes...and try to forget that I spent forty
- bucks on this thing....
-

I went back to the original IL-2 and am playing that until FB gets solid again.

the original IL-2 really does look/feel and work great.

XyZspineZyX
08-14-2003, 03:30 PM
My audio switches sides in mid flight. Then I go, reverse stereo and get it working, return to the flight and it reverses itself again. Anyone else getting this?

http://www.vfa25.com/sigs/phist.jpg

XyZspineZyX
08-14-2003, 03:39 PM
I have the same problem. I noticed it always happens to me a few seconds after I start a quick mission in the Crimea as VVS. Haven't noticed it happening anywhere else but it might've.

Hope we get a fix for this. New sound is otherwise awesome!