PDA

View Full Version : Bug in ship destruction

HaukiHunter
06-17-2005, 03:12 AM
On some occasions I decided to chase the merchant ship straight behind it. The idea is to fire the first torpedo to its propellers and then to sink the ship which can not move. It seems to be a good tactics
because it is hard to notice the trail from my torpedo in ship's own white trail and also because it is impossible to miss when gyro angle is 0. Unfortunately in many cases after the blast the ship does not stop because torpedo does not damage propellers enough. It looks like a bug in ship destruction model and it is very unrealistic.

Goosen83
06-17-2005, 03:25 AM
Why is it unrealistic? Say you hit the ship below the waterline but above the propellers then the shape of the ships hul might even protect the screws from the blast. There are many aspects in it. When I blow of propellers I classify it as a near miss aka bad aiming as it would be way better to hit a ship amidships.

HaukiHunter
06-17-2005, 03:41 AM
Ship propellers and rudder are among the weakest points, I see that my torpedo hits this place precisely and I expect more damage. It was a real life tactics to hit the ship to this place and it worked. It is not always possible to hit the target amidships for many resons.

W.Irving
06-17-2005, 03:56 AM
It's much safer to do a 'traditional' 90? solution for a torpedo in the engine compartment.

I was experimenting with weak (and strong) spots of the T3 yesterday and managed to aim a little TOO far off at the stern of the ship. The torpedo missed the hull and instead hit the rudder of the T3 (at roughly 80?)!
But it didn't go off. Instead, the torpedo was momentarily halted by the rudder, and when the ship had passed, it kept on going. It might as well have been a faulty impact pistol (this was mid 1940 and a G7e).

I've seen this before, I launched a G7e towards a badly listing T3. The torpedo made it up on the deck of the T3 and ran amuk there for a few seconds before silently falling to the ocean floor.

Perhaps also a faulty pistol (1940 again), or it could be that there are certain surfaces of the ships which do not trigger the impact pistol.

Blabaer
06-17-2005, 05:37 AM
I've seen this before, I launched a G7e towards a badly listing T3. The torpedo made it up on the deck of the T3 and ran amuk there for a few seconds before silently falling to the ocean floor.

Please please please say you got a pick of that event.....a priceless view.....http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

W.Irving
06-17-2005, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by Blabaer:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I've seen this before, I launched a G7e towards a badly listing T3. The torpedo made it up on the deck of the T3 and ran amuk there for a few seconds before silently falling to the ocean floor.

Please please please say you got a pick of that event.....a priceless view.....http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't say I don't. Let me check when I get home. Imagine 30 instances of the 'clonk' sound being played simulatenously.

Jose.MaC
06-17-2005, 07:02 AM
You will not blow the propellers unless you achieve a direct hit to every propeler. So is better to aim under the ship and ensure the torpedo explodes under keel. This way the ship will be forced to sail at 1 knot and with a little bit of luck, will sank in 20 minutes or so. I do lots of times. Set torpedo depth 0.5 meters under ship if the weather is fair, and 0.75 if rought.