PDA

View Full Version : Screen Settings vs. Game Settings

e2michaelb
02-16-2006, 08:05 PM
I plan to start experimenting with different resolutions and other game setting to maximize my computer's potential. Question: Must the monitor resolution setting as selected in "Control Panel>Settings>Display>Settings" correspond to the resolution settings selected in-game and in the conf.ini file?

lairdperkins
02-16-2006, 09:24 PM
If you have a CRT, No.

If you have an LCD, Maybe.

LCD panels have a "native" resolution, typically 1280x1024 or 1600x1200 for 4:3 panels. You cannot run higher than this native resolution. If you run lower, the monitor can often emulate the lower resolution by lighting up adjacent pixels, but it tends to look a little blurry especially when there's a lot of motion on the screen (ie in a video game).

IMO it's better to run at the native panel resolution and turn down or off things like anti-aliasing and antistropic filtering, or turn down texture quality to acheive the desired frame rate. Again, bear in mind that frame rate itself is subjective. The human eye is only capable of seeing around 40fps. I find 60fps a reasonable plateau to shoot for - 60hz is the standard refresh rate of most LCD monitors, 60fps average means that the frame rate will rarely drop below 40 even with lots of explosions going off etc.