PDA

View Full Version : Oshkosh 2010



erco415
08-03-2010, 12:32 PM
Here's a roundup of coverage from AvWeb (http://www.avweb.com/).
More photo galleries here. (http://www.avweb.com/news/airventure/).

GoToAway
08-03-2010, 06:41 PM
I really have never understood why what is arguably the best airshow in the country is held in the middle of nowhere.

I'd love to go. But I don't ever foresee being anywhere near Wisconsin.

WTE_Galway
08-03-2010, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by GoToAway:
I really have never understood why what is arguably the best airshow in the country is held in the middle of nowhere.

I'd love to go. But I don't ever foresee being anywhere near Wisconsin.

Well it ain't that practical to run an airshow that big out of O'Hare or JFK is it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

jarink
08-03-2010, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by GoToAway:
I really have never understood why what is arguably the best airshow in the country is held in the middle of nowhere.

It's real simple. The EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association) that hosts the airshow has their HQ and museum (http://www.airventuremuseum.org/) in Oshkosh.

Only in the "middle of nowhere" can you get the best brats, cheese curds and kringle in the US!
http://zedomax.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/bratwurst-2.jpg
http://www.cheesecurds.net/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/trader-joes-wisconsin-cheddar-cheese-curds-up-close.jpg
http://whatscookingamerica.net/Bread/Kringle6.jpg

GoToAway
08-03-2010, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by WTE_Galway:
Well it ain't that practical to run an airshow that big out of O'Hare or JFK is it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif No, but here (in the NE) they generally seem to run the bigger ones out of ANG or AF bases. Seems to work well enough.


Originally posted by jarink:
It's real simple. The EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association) that hosts the airshow has their HQ and museum (http://www.airventuremuseum.org/) in Oshkosh. That makes sense.

Still, though. It has to be a fly-in affair for 90% of the attendees.


And I'm not even sure what the last two foods you posted are. Cheese curds and some sort of nut-donut-thing?

Bremspropeller
08-04-2010, 04:35 AM
You also get the best planes:
http://www.seqair.com/Hangar/Rives/FalcoN63KCRainbow.jpg

R_Target
08-04-2010, 05:53 AM
There's probably 15 million people within a three-hour drive to Oshkosh, maybe more.

GoToAway
08-04-2010, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by R_Target:
There's probably 15 million people within a three-hour drive to Oshkosh, maybe more. I think you're missing my intent.

There's a reason that the Paris airshow is in Paris and not at an airfield in the middle of the French Alps.

I'm not debating that a lot of people live in Wisconsin. I was simply wondering why such a large event was held in a place that is pretty inconvenient for the majority of the American population.

But the EAA factor provided the answer to that, so I don't see why we need to continue debating it. I'm sure that Wisconsonians believe that Wisconsin is the center of the universe and nothing I say will change that. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

erco415
08-04-2010, 10:20 AM
Cheese curds are produced as part of the cheese-making process (curds and whey). The curd is pressed into forms and then aged, and you have cheese. Cheddar cheese curds (shown) are far milder in taste, somewhat softer, and if really fresh, squeak when you bite into them.

Kringle is a pastry of Danish origin, and can be had with a variety of fillings. Racine WI is considered the center of the kringle universe, as far as the US is concerned, and there are several bakeries there that would be happy to ship you a kringle if your curiosity is getting the better of you.

The EAA convention has a substantial drive in crowd, and drive in camping on the show grounds is where it's at. I've flown in and camped in the showplane area, and it was cool, but it certainly lacked the social aspect of camping at Camp Scholler (the onsite campground, where the drive-in folks are). The "North Forty" parking area, where the modern airplane folks park and camp, might be better than the showplane area, but I never parked there. Let me tell you, a week in Camp Scholler is time well spent!

If you've never been, you really need to attend the Oshkosh show. I've been multiple times. At first it's airplanesairplanesairplanes but after a few years I discovered that the people were just as interesting (if not occasionally more so!) as the machines. If you do go, you'll want to be an EAA member for improved show access (and a cool magazine) and plan on needing at least three days if you hope to see more than just a slice of what the show has to offer.

And wear good shoes. They don't call it the 'Oshkosh Death March' for nothing!

GoToAway
08-04-2010, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by erco415:
Cheese curds are produced as part of the cheese-making process (curds and whey). The curd is pressed into forms and then aged, and you have cheese. Cheddar cheese curds (shown) are far milder in taste, somewhat softer, and if really fresh, squeak when you bite into them. I knew about curds, I just wasn't aware that anybody actually ate the them before pressing them into cheese. I suppose it makes sense, but I just never knew about it.

I'll give WI one thing: they make good cheese. Not as good as Vermont ( http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif ), but there's none of that "processed American 'cheese'" nonsense going on there. Just real cheese, and good cheese at that.

jarink
08-04-2010, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by GoToAway:
I was simply wondering why such a large event was held in a place that is pretty inconvenient for the majority of the American population.

But it's convenient for people flying in from both coasts. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif


Originally posted by erco415:
The EAA convention has a substantial drive in crowd, and drive in camping on the show grounds is where it's at. I've flown in and camped in the showplane area, and it was cool, but it certainly lacked the social aspect of camping at Camp Scholler (the onsite campground, where the drive-in folks are). The "North Forty" parking area, where the modern airplane folks park and camp, might be better than the showplane area, but I never parked there. Let me tell you, a week in Camp Scholler is time well spent!

I went there a couple of times with my dad in the '80s. Once we flew in and stayed for 4 days. Flying in and out of there is an experience you won't ever forget. It's the only time I've been in a C172 and seen 10-12 planes in the landing pattern in front of us and another 10-12 behind! The air is so crowded on the last Friday it's called "Fantastic Friday". They even sell audio recordings of the air traffic controllers (http://www.forums4.us/Friday.php)!

Where Oshkosh differs from other, more traditional airshows is that it's like a big sleepover. The best experience is being around a ton of other people that love airplanes all day, for several days. Heck, they even have a seaplane 'base' for those aircraft that are landing gear challenged!
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1/jarink/OshWater.jpg

Last year my Dad jumped there a couple of times with his old para team, the Liberty Parachute Team. While there, he made his 2,000th jump.

Packing chutes and streamers (I was told the 'flag' is officially a 'banner' and can therefore be laid on the ground)
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1/jarink/Packing.jpg

Pre-jump walkthrough
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1/jarink/Planning.jpg

The team is ready to go. (My dad is second from the right, first row.)
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1/jarink/LibParaTeam.jpg

Almost jump time! (note the red and white plane in the upper left - he'll circle the jumpers as they descend)
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1/jarink/OshAir.jpg