PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Buzz

Zombie_Gaz
11-01-2011, 06:02 PM
I will start by appoligizing for my complete lack of knowledge.

I have a Squier Telecaster and noticed today that there's quite a bit of "buzzing" when I use the toggle to switch to either the front or back pickup when playing the game.

When I keep the pickup toggle in the middle (I'm guessing that means both are used) I get little to no "buzz".

Is this normal?

TheDeveloperDad
11-01-2011, 06:14 PM
The buzz could be a couple things. Might be because there's too much "action" - your strings might be too close to the neck.

Zombie_Gaz
11-01-2011, 07:04 PM
I don't think it's the action as the middle setting (both pickups, I think) has no buzz at all.

zidakano
11-01-2011, 07:13 PM
Is it buzz e.g. (mechanical noise of the strings hitting something else) or is it hum (background noise in your signal that's always there sounds similar to florescent tubes).

if its only when you are playing it would probably be buzz but since you said it is a specific pickup it is more than likely hum. I assume you telecaster is two single coil pickups which will always have "some" hum the reason why your middle position would not have hum is when both pickups are used together they form a humbucker which cancels out 60cycle hum.

Negimized
11-01-2011, 07:13 PM
I do not think that it has anything to do with actions or etc. I think that it is your guitar. If I am not wrong, your guitar has a single coil-ed pickup. Normally they generate more "buzz". If you have Humbucker pickups installed, it would probably fix your problem.

Zombie_Gaz
11-01-2011, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by zidakano:
Is it buzz e.g. (mechanical noise of the strings hitting something else) or is it hum (background noise in your signal that's always there sounds similar to florescent tubes).

if its only when you are playing it would probably be buzz but since you said it is a specific pickup it is more than likely hum. I assume you telecaster is two single coil pickups which will always have "some" hum the reason why your middle position would not have hum is when both pickups are used together they form a humbucker which cancels out 60cycle hum.

Okay - that makes sense.

Yes, it's a hum rather than a buzz. In other words, it is a steady sound when no strings are being played.

So it's normal to have a little bit of a hum when only one pickup is selected on a Telecaster?

It seems quite loud to me. How much hum is "normal" when one pickup is selected? Again, there is NO hum when the middle toggle (both pickups) is selected.

I guess the easy solution is to just play in the middle position but I'm just curious.

zidakano
11-01-2011, 08:26 PM
Yes playing in the middle position would be the easiest and quickest solution to getting rid of them hum.

While some hum will always come with "true" singlecoil pickups if it is excessive it could be a loose ground wire. Unfortunately without being able to have your guitar in hand I couldn't make a judgement on if your hum is more than it should be.

If when you play the game its only annoying when it's a high gain song and not a clean one then its probably pretty normal amount. But honestly I would just play in the middle position. All of my guitars have humbuckers so then just naturally cancel out the hum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_coil
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humbucker

Links provided for some extra credit reading if you are so inclined.

triguy98
11-02-2011, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by zidakano:
Yes playing in the middle position would be the easiest and quickest solution to getting rid of them hum.

While some hum will always come with "true" singlecoil pickups if it is excessive it could be a loose ground wire. Unfortunately without being able to have your guitar in hand I couldn't make a judgement on if your hum is more than it should be.

If when you play the game its only annoying when it's a high gain song and not a clean one then its probably pretty normal amount. But honestly I would just play in the middle position. All of my guitars have humbuckers so then just naturally cancel out the hum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_coil
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humbucker

Links provided for some extra credit reading if you are so inclined.

Good advise. I have never gotten my hands on a Squier Tele before, but you may also want to have your shielding redone/ upgraded. Especially important with single coils. The hum is part of the charm of single coils, as long as it isn't too excessive.

DaletonaDave
11-02-2011, 06:36 PM
To the original poster...

I'm suddenly having a similar, if not the same problem. I've had my 'Lefty' Strat Squier Series w/ 3 single coils for many years now. I've been playing the game fine for a few days. Then last nite, I started getting a 'buzz/hum' like you describe. It reminds me of the hum/buzz/feedback sound you get while plugging the guitar into an amp, just before it's plugged all the way in. (hope I described that well enough)

Yes, it is plugged all the way in, and it does not do this with my real amp. I've also noticed that while in-game, if I turn off the in-game pedals and go "clear", it doesn't have any bad noise. It comes right back as soon as I turn in-game effects back on. I've tried all combo's of volume, tone knobs & pick-up switch positions.

So, would anyone have anymore info on this issue? Does this sound like a bad cable maybe? I've only had maybe 6-8 hrs of gameplay so far, and then this started happening.

P.S. - I'm using a ps3 btw. (no other mics/cameras hooked up anywhere)

gumbomombo
11-03-2011, 03:14 AM
This software is heavily dependent on its pitch detection algorithm. If you are sending a signal that has a lot of interference your game play will be greatly diminished. I'm pretty sure they have their algorithm account for some interference; if it's outrageous then the algorithm, in theory, will discard the input as interference.

The squier series, I believe, are equipped with 3 single coil pickups. Single coil pickups are inherently buzzy lol. Plug your guitar into a regular amp and try different tone settings with either the top middle of bottom pickup. Some fenders also come in a HSS layout (humbuckers, single coil x2). Humbucking pickups effectively reduce the buzzing noise ("bucks" the "hum"). So if you you see two single coil pickups next to each other at the bottom of your guitar that is most likely a humbucker pickup, use this! Humbucker pickups are more in tune with the demands of this software.

Also, try to stand as far away from the television (or other electronic device) as you can.

Hope this helps.

B.A. Comp Sci
Experienced player

JinjaBeard
11-03-2011, 09:23 AM
when i play on my single-coil tele i simply roll off the volume and tone a bit. that and keep the strings muted whenever they're not in use.

and roll completely off your guitar volume between songs.

the hiss shouldn't interfere with anything during actual playtime, and shouldn't be overly noticeable.

DaletonaDave
11-03-2011, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by JinjaBeard:
when i play on my single-coil tele i simply roll off the volume and tone a bit. that and keep the strings muted whenever they're not in use.

and roll completely off your guitar volume between songs.

the hiss shouldn't interfere with anything during actual playtime, and shouldn't be overly noticeable.

I've tried playing with the volume/tone/pickup switch with no luck whatsoever.

The thing that really threw me for a loop is the fact that it was working fine for the first few days of playing, and now it's not suddenly. It's also not doing this when I plug into my real amp. I'm half tempted to buy another tone cable, but I'd hate to spend the $30.00 and it not help with my problem.

Danny180866
11-03-2011, 03:08 PM
I had a problem with buzzing also but discovered it was feedback from the playstation eye (the mic)

nekotika
11-14-2011, 04:40 PM
Try this:

-Go to the guitar setup in Rocksmith main menu.

-Put always your guitar sound level at MAX, and do not change it never. If you change the sound level, rocksmith will go nuts.

-When asked to silence your guitar, first silence it with your hand, then remove it. DO NOT touch any metalic part of your guitar! that way rocksmith will ignore the static of your guitar.

-Play and have fun.

DeepDrummer
11-15-2011, 06:24 AM
The squire tele (I bought a used one this week) is not a bad guitar at all. I have seen all kinds of mods to that guitar on youtube but honestly I think mine sounds fantastic. Yes a bit of a hum from time to time but it IS an old design. There are ways to shield it as has been said. It's a classic sound and my second favourite (of 9) guitar. It works fine with the game for me. I played it yesterday for the first time after setting it up and I can't get enough of that guitar.

moongrafik
11-15-2011, 10:38 AM
The game just gets too much noise from single coil pickups like telecaster and stratocaster pickups. It even has trouble recognizing notes on my jazzmaster pickup. Either use in between positions of switch to humbucker pickups.