PDA

View Full Version : Easier to fight with more realism?



MikeDixonUK
06-04-2006, 03:30 AM
Hi everyone (First Post. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/halo.gif )

I've been playing IL2/PF for a while now, slowly increasing the realism as I seem to get better. (Never tried it online yey though)

After I turned on the no external views option I seem to be doing much better in Dogfights vs the AI.

Previously I used to get killed 9/10 of the time fighting vs a 109E in a Hurricane mk II, but in the past 2 missions with forced inside view I've managed to down 2!

Anyone else get this when they first changed to no external views?

I'm guessing its because you have more situational awareness when on more realism because you can't just go on outside view and look around, plus I have map Icons and Aeroplane Icons off.

Next step, TrackIR. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

WTE_Galway
06-04-2006, 03:57 AM
Originally posted by MikeDixonUK:
Hi everyone (First Post. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/halo.gif )

I've been playing IL2/PF for a while now, slowly increasing the realism as I seem to get better. (Never tried it online yey though)

After I turned on the forced cockpit, no external views option I seem to be doing much better in Dogfights vs the AI.

Previously I used to get killed 9/10 of the time fighting vs a 109E in a Hurricane mk II, but in the past 2 missions with no cockpit I've managed to down 2!

Anyone else get this when they first changed to no external views?

I'm guessing its because you have more situational awareness when on more realism because you can't just go on outside view and look around, plus I have map Icons and Aeroplane Icons off.

Next step, TrackIR. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

i find cockpit on gives you better position cues than wonder woman view myself

also trackIr is almost essential for serious combat simming .. get one

SeaFireLIV
06-04-2006, 06:10 AM
I think it is easier to fight and live if you have cockpit on because everyone else is just as restricted as you are, so...

No `radar` all seeing that you`ll get with no cockpit. You can sneak up on an aircraft without him automatically knowing you`re there. You can tell if he`s looking by how he turns his aircraft... My lead and I were tracking a lone 109 flying above us straight. We flew below and behind him for about 5 minutes while my leader got closer and closer. The 109`s spider sense must`ve started tingling, because just as the lead got in range he started banking right.

"He`s checking his six!" I radioed, "You`d better shoot!"

The lead guy fired, raking the 109 and killing the pilot.

You couldn`t do that in wonder-woman view.

At the same time as long as you don`t make the mistake the 109 did you can often keep out of guns range and try to hit him in his blind spot. It`s much fairer, more realistic and you`ll last that bit longer if you keep your eyes open.

IL2-chuter
06-04-2006, 02:16 PM
After I turned on the no external views option I seem to be doing much better in Dogfights vs the AI.



I think it is easier to fight and live if you have cockpit on because everyone else is just as restricted as you are, so...


I'm not sure the AI is affected by one's choice of view.

. . . And you should have more (certainly quicker) situational awareness with cockpit off/externals, the apparent improvement you're experiencing could be because you're simply trying harder (thinking more) rather than just winging away. There are a lot of (realistic) limitations to cockpit up, especially in the game as opposed to RL (RL pilot here . . . it's SO much easier to dogfight in a real plane).


http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

leitmotiv
06-04-2006, 02:22 PM
Going outside the cockpit is pretty much tossing the immersion factor out for arcade-type play.

bogusheadbox
06-05-2006, 03:01 AM
I am a very average dog fighter. (actually pretty **** really).

I only fly full realism and find it both easier and harder than arcade realism.

Easier for the reason, that if i do manage to sneak up on someone's six - then i actually have a chance of shooting them down.

Harder for the fact that planes like Beaufighter, Tempest - are a right mongrel as you have zero view behind you and you have no idea on how to evade.

But that is offsided by flying in a squadron. They let me know just when i am going to die ;-)

SeaFireLIV
06-05-2006, 04:55 AM
Bugger, read too fast. Didn`t see it was against the AI. Oh well, I`ve never fought in anything other than close cockpit view so couldn`t say if there`s a difference.

Dean3238
06-05-2006, 07:16 AM
I prefer full real, the trouble I have is finding the war after I get in the air. Pretty easy for a noob like me to get lost anyway, and all too often I spend a pile of time wandering around aimlessly looking around with my TrackIR till my head hurts and finding nothing.

Trouble is, as has been mentioned before, is that the contrast between moving objects in the air and the background scenery is too similar. I'd love to take advantage of my height to swoop in and kill low/slow targets, but I can't see them, and they can see me easily against the sky... so I'm at the disadvantage. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/disagree.gif

Dean

leitmotiv
06-05-2006, 10:09 AM
Don't sweat it, Dean, that's what this is all about. The sky is a very big place, and it is also hard to see things against the ground. This sim reflects that---that's why real pilots got bounced in WWII. It's not a rendering flaw, it's a fact of life. Airplanes are easier to spot against clouds or against the afterglow of a setting sun, for example. Keep looking and pull up to look behind and wag your tail to check your 6 o'clock. Doesn't hurt to roll upside down and take a fast look, either. Tracer trails will lead you to the action. Good luck.

Von_Rat
06-05-2006, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by leitmotiv:
Don't sweat it, Dean, that's what this is all about. The sky is a very big place, and it is also hard to see things against the ground. This sim reflects that---that's why real pilots got bounced in WWII. It's not a rendering flaw, it's a fact of life. Airplanes are easier to spot against clouds or against the afterglow of a setting sun, for example. Keep looking and pull up to look behind and wag your tail to check your 6 o'clock. Doesn't hurt to roll upside down and take a fast look, either. Tracer trails will lead you to the action. Good luck.

it is a flaw. in the game that is. it doesnt reflect real life. in rl planes that your looking right at, dont disappear as you get closer to them.

MikeDixonUK
06-05-2006, 01:33 PM
I play with all realism on now apart from Engine Overheat (those AI planes allways running away is starting to get on my nerves so I need a little Boost http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif )

I used to play it with all realism on other than external views and map Icons, much more interesting now that theres no map icons also, never realy payed much attention to the landscape before I needed to use it for navigation, only problem is the Spitfire flight stick seems to block the compass.

Doubt I'd last long on a map like Coral Sea or Midway with just open ocean and limited fuel. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/touche.gif

Also, is there a way to turn up the resolution on the cockpit mirror/make it clearer, not sure if I'm supposed to dive away from the flying squares or wave to them. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

WTE_Galway
06-05-2006, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by MikeDixonUK:


I used to play it with all realism on other than external views and map Icons, much more interesting now that theres no map icons also, never realy payed much attention to the landscape before I needed to use it for navigation, only problem is the Spitfire flight stick seems to block the compass.

Doubt I'd last long on a map like Coral Sea or Midway with just open ocean and limited fuel. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/touche.gif

Also, is there a way to turn up the resolution on the cockpit mirror/make it clearer, not sure if I'm supposed to dive away from the flying squares or wave to them. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif



I never really knew the maps properly till I went full real offline .. now I recognise every little pond, river bend and road junction within 20 minutes of home http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Could probably navigate VFR in real life around some of the towns.

There are different mirror resolutions in game. They usually toogle with the same hotkey that turns the mirrors on in the first place .. but I suspect only if your overall screen resolution is high enough to allow it.

tagTaken2
06-07-2006, 12:24 AM
There's a trade-off b/w playability and immersion. Flying off-line, I'll go for the immersion, so full-switch is the way. Remove the hud and speech text lines, that's cheating http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/halo.gif. You should be able to use cockpit gauges, and navigate in an elementary way.

WTE_Galway
06-07-2006, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by tagTaken2:
There's a trade-off b/w playability and immersion. Flying off-line, I'll go for the immersion, so full-switch is the way. Remove the hud and speech text lines, that's cheating http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/halo.gif. You should be able to use cockpit gauges, and navigate in an elementary way.

I like flying with HUD off but only certian planes give you enough visual cues about radiator flaps etc.

I was VERY pleased when i first noticed the Hurri had a radiator position indicator http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

mortoma1958
06-07-2006, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by WTE_Galway:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MikeDixonUK:
Hi everyone (First Post. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/halo.gif )

I've been playing IL2/PF for a while now, slowly increasing the realism as I seem to get better. (Never tried it online yey though)

After I turned on the forced cockpit, no external views option I seem to be doing much better in Dogfights vs the AI.

Previously I used to get killed 9/10 of the time fighting vs a 109E in a Hurricane mk II, but in the past 2 missions with no cockpit I've managed to down 2!

Anyone else get this when they first changed to no external views?

I'm guessing its because you have more situational awareness when on more realism because you can't just go on outside view and look around, plus I have map Icons and Aeroplane Icons off.

Next step, TrackIR. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

i find cockpit on gives you better position cues than wonder woman view myself

also trackIr is almost essential for serious combat simming .. get one </div></BLOCKQUOTE>No neccesarily on the TIR thing. I have become so adept at using the numpad for viewing, that TIR would not help me much. It would free up a hand but in the heat of combat I usually don't need to do much but adjust the throttle, so the other hand being free would be of little assistance. I can track aircraft with amazing proficiency using numpad.
That includes wild manuevering around bombers as I make complex slashing attacks, rolling, climbing and diving all over the place. All the while the bandit bomber is in my view unless I get in front of him for a while. And even TIR wouldn't help in that case!!! If I showed you tracks of my fighting, you'd think I had TIR.

tagTaken2
06-08-2006, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by mortoma1958:
No neccesarily on the TIR thing. I have become so adept at using the numpad for viewing, that TIR would not help me much. It would free up a hand but in the heat of combat I usually don't need to do much but adjust the throttle, so the other hand being free would be of little assistance. I can track aircraft with amazing proficiency using numpad.
That includes wild manuevering around bombers as I make complex slashing attacks, rolling, climbing and diving all over the place. All the while the bandit bomber is in my view unless I get in front of him for a while. And even TIR wouldn't help in that case!!! If I showed you tracks of my fighting, you'd think I had TIR.

If you woke up with a TIR box on your bedside table tomorrow, would you bin it?
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif
If you flightsim more than 10 hours a week, unless you're broke TIR is only second to a good joystick. It's not just the immediate leap in SA, it's the immersion factor. It feels NATURAL.
It's the best horribly overpriced, limited-use flightsim accessory out there.

Jumoschlong
06-10-2006, 01:57 PM
It is certainly easier to use historical WWII tactics when settings are fully realistic.

With "arcade" settings, which include "Wonder Woman view", icons, and padlock, you are much easier to identify and find at all than in WWII, and you will be shot down by pilots who can make unrealistic lead shots because they can follow you in a turn and see through the engine and cockpit floor of their aircraft while shooting, which is ridiculously non-historic.

Full-real servers and pilots are the best, the rest are a bunch of panty-waist as*&bags.



Jumo*******

hkg36sd
06-10-2006, 08:57 PM
I have some issues with full realism in that some of the canopy frames are thicker than others and in reality, even with the harness straps tightened, you would still be able to move your view to either side of the obtrusive frame by tilting your head. (I find myself trying to peer around the canopy during the game!) In the heat of a dogfight, I never go external as this would disorient me too much. ( alas, do not have console skills!)
I agree that the external view is a 'cheat' of sorts especially when looking through obvious blind spots though I must say that I do immensely enjoy seeing others in a furrball as well as seeing the damage effects on the planes.