PDA

View Full Version : P40B and C takeoff behaviour

TPN_Cephas
11-08-2004, 09:15 AM
Both the B and C models of the P40 have a really bad left right wing wobble on takeoff. I have tried accelerating with less power like I do with the B239 which also does this, but no matter what I try I inevitably touch wing tips to the ground until I get up to about 80kmh. All the other members in my squad have the same problem. I generally take off without damage but it is annoying.

TPN_Cephas
11-08-2004, 09:15 AM
Both the B and C models of the P40 have a really bad left right wing wobble on takeoff. I have tried accelerating with less power like I do with the B239 which also does this, but no matter what I try I inevitably touch wing tips to the ground until I get up to about 80kmh. All the other members in my squad have the same problem. I generally take off without damage but it is annoying.

brasil66
11-08-2004, 09:17 AM
Playing the Pearl Harbor mission, I noticed the exact same thing and wondered what I was doing wrong. I've been playing IL2 since it was released and have not experienced this difficulty on any other aircraft that I can remember.
Its a grass field....but still...its just crazy how the plane wobbles. Glad to hear its not just me.

Nige_Reconman
11-08-2004, 09:22 AM
On concrete airstrips i get far less yawing problems on takeooff then on unsealed makeshift strips. I've tried the usual methods on counteracting rudder/reduce flaps/les power etcetera and it doesn't seem to help.

Oh well still easy enough to take off on though.

mortoma
11-08-2004, 09:28 AM
This is a bug and before PF came out, I found that certain planes on certain maps had this problem really bad. For example, in AEP, I had a problem taking off the I-153, I-16 and P-11C on certain maps. Granted thses planes are always harder to take off that normal but the I-153 in the Kuban map is super tough to take off in. Try it in the Leningrad/Finland map though and it's twice or three times easier!! So I'd say it's a bug and it's a bug that affects some planes on some maps. Some planes are not affected at all, no matter which map you try them in but some planes are super affected. I also have noticed the P-40 problem. I will try it in other maps to see what happens. If there are maps in which it's easy to take off from then we may be on to something.

mortoma
11-08-2004, 09:32 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nige_Reconman:
On concrete airstrips i get far less yawing problems on takeooff then on unsealed makeshift strips. I've tried the usual methods on counteracting rudder/reduce flaps/les power etcetera and it doesn't seem to help.

Oh well still easy enough to take off on though. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes you can still take off but let's not just accept a bug and be complacent. I'm pretty sure these aircraft didn't have this problem in real life so why settle for unrealistic behavior in a sim when sims are supposed to be as realistic as possible???

Chuck_Older
11-08-2004, 10:26 AM
Get the tail wheel off the ground as soon as possible in the P-40B and C (And H81A-2)

Yes it's a bug but you can get the tail up at about 30mph and once the tail's off the ground the plane handles normally, grass or concrete strip, it doesn't matter

brasil66
11-08-2004, 10:28 AM
Chuck. Good point. I can live with this very minor bug. Let Oleg work on my pressing issues for now. Tail wheel up DOES work fine.

mortoma
11-08-2004, 10:56 AM
I disagree, it's not minor to me. I have no trouble taking off in it but the wobble is aggravating and unneccesary. What's minor to some is major to others. It's always been that way.

Ruy Horta
11-08-2004, 11:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TPN_Cephas:
Both the B and C models of the P40 have a really bad left right wing wobble on takeoff. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually the early P-40 seems to be one of the few a/c in the series which models a more difficult take off that at least echoes partly what I read about her wrt ground looping.

Its NOT an a/c that likes a full throttle take off.

Just ease up on the trottle and raise the tail as soon as you can.

WTE_Gog
11-08-2004, 11:45 AM
I have experienced the same but fixed it myself by slow and gradual application of the throttle. Since then, no drama's.

TPN_Cephas
11-10-2004, 02:14 AM
We tested this in our squad again last night.
We found a work around by holding the brakes and applying full power. On takeoff you release brakes and apply forward stick pressure to get the tail up as quickly as possible.

Unfortunately we have found that on landing the plane exhibits the exact same problem. One of our pilots (a professional airline pilot) made a perfect landing straight as an arrow and on rollout as soon as it got down to below 50 kmh it started rocking badly.

This would really be nice to have fixed.

Fillmore
11-10-2004, 03:07 AM
From my perspective the problem is that the nose wants to pull up too soon, way below stall speed, so if you leave the stick alone the nose pulls up and you immediatley stall and snap roll. The first time I flew the P40B (Pearl Harbour mission) I immediately recognized its takeoff behaviour as being the same as the B229 and corrected it in the same manner - push stick forward right from beginning of takeoff roll.