PDA

View Full Version : Ati x800 pro vs Ati x1600 pro?

potver
03-07-2006, 03:13 PM
I bought recently an Ati x1600pro ( now with ccc) but I don,t see any difference with my former card Ati x800, and a lot more stutters.
Perhaps I don,t have the right settings for it.
Anyone with experience with this card?
And does this card work with the old drivers f.i. 5.11+ CP?

Xiolablu3
03-07-2006, 05:10 PM
MAte you should check benchmarks before you 'upgrade'

You have 'upgraded' to a slower card I am afraid. The X800 is faster than the X1600.

Just becasue its newer, it doesnt mean its a faster card.

My old Geforce TI4600 is still faster than a Geforce 6200 and not far off a 6600 (non GT). Of course it has no modern pixel shaders like the newer cards tho.

Always make sure you research the card you have and the card you intend to buy, there are benchmarks all over the internet, just google the name of the card you want to see tests of. Such as googling 'x800 benchmarks' should find you some good tests for that card comparing it to others.

The X800 should be a good card for over a year yet, put that back in and try and return the X1600.

VW-IceFire
03-07-2006, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by potver:
I bought recently an Ati x1600pro ( now with ccc) but I don,t see any difference with my former card Ati x800, and a lot more stutters.
Perhaps I don,t have the right settings for it.
Anyone with experience with this card?
And does this card work with the old drivers f.i. 5.11+ CP?
Most benchmarks show that the X800 is still a slightly faster card in most cases except when running a game heavy with pixel shaders. If you play a game that uses heavy pixel shaders on all surfaces (we expect BoB to be like that) then the X1600 usually comes out a few FPS ahead. But the X800 was a solid card. Best to check all the reviews and benchmarks. Unfortunately I don't see you gaining or loosing using either card except that you've sadly spent the extra money.

Video cards can sometimes be a tough buy.

In the meantime, you may want to check your drivers out and all that.

The X1600 has some nice new features that the older cards don't have and will undoubtedly improve in performance slightly with the drivers (its got a fully programmable ring-bus so it may yet see some advantages gained in areas not yet possible). As an all around card, the X1600 has more features but its considered a mid-level enthusiasts card while the X800 was, in its day, the high end gaming card.

potver
03-08-2006, 03:19 AM
Thanks for your opinions guys.
Yes that was a dumb decision, but it had pixel shader 3.0, AGP, 512 Mb and was not too expensive (125 Euros)
So I thought it could be somewhat better as a newer line of cards.