PDA

View Full Version : You're on a mysterious island, alone-

gascan75
01-26-2020, 07:29 PM
One of the projects I'm trying to work my way through right now using the Breakpoint landscape as a backdrop is the story of a Tier 1 type who was sent on what is widely believed to be a one way mission to "do what needs to get done."

"What needs to get done?"

"Figure it out when you get there."

The back story is a little on the "wild" side and probably full of holes but poetic license and all that. I wanted to get a guy alone on an island-

You know what I meant.

So with this idea in mind our hero has landed on a dark section of an obviously inhabited island with enough supplies for 3 days of tactical living. For all intents and purposes, nobody related to the evolving story knows he is there. The island is obviously set to be Auroa or at least within that chain of large and small islands. I'm not sure if I'll ever connect to the Breakpoint story or not-

There are no maps of the island (since nobody knew whether or not it was there in the first place)... which suggests to our hero that there's some sort of exotic technology "hiding" the island chain.

You can assume:

1) Our guy has determined that access to water and food will not be an issue- in fact judging by local wildlife he'll have "not eaten this well in years."
2) Our guy has no current radio connection to the outside world.
3) He has A rifle and a pistol- standard blowout kit (because I read a few books and see that term all the time) and a few odds and ends.
4) Our "hero" is probably good- but might be bad. This relates to the back story where he has been accused of a heinous crime... and this mission is either his punishment (if he dies) or his absolution (if he lives and "saves the day"). In the end he will be both good and bad- transitioning fluidly from one side to the other to try and keep things interesting.

Knowing this- if it was YOU... on the island- with conditions similar to Auroa and everything that means (roving military patrols, overflying helicopters, high flying drones, weird black towers, a variety of satellite dishes... occasional hostage situations, an entire brigade of broken down motorcycles)... What would your first 3 priorities be and how would you go about addressing them?

Keep in mind we're not necessarily limited to things you can do in game- since it will be a "described narrative" I can talk through some of the tasks.

Curious to see what comes up since it will result in more interesting content!

gascan75
01-27-2020, 05:28 PM
Well I just watched a youtube channel review of "Wonder Woman" and apparently my invisible island idea isn't exactly original so I'm off that.

I'm thinking instead I'll line up with the Breakpoint story of the Ghost team that went in and, in my version, disappears. Our hero is sent in inconspicuously to figure out what happened and try to set the stage for a follow up force. The justification for it will be that since nobody other than a couple key folks knows about his mission, he'll have better luck actually getting anything done. It's unlikely a single person would be sent in but that's what I have to work with now so I'd like to try and make a cool story out of it.

But the question still stands- If you were left alone on an island and nobody knew you were there, what would your first few moves be?

CrockfordCK
01-28-2020, 01:33 AM
How about this; Your Hero, is none other than the OG "Buzz" Gordon. With his lifelong dedication to service, he would have plenty of connections that would cue him into what happened with his Ghosts. After some asking around in Washington, he begins to piece together how deep the conspiracy goes and learns that he can't trust anyone. So he goes it alone, the last mission, of the first Ghost?

As for first moves?There's the basics. Shelter, or a stash of some sort. A place to keep any extras that you don't want to be lugging around. Water, a source that is reliable, but not near your "camp" in case one becomes compromised. And food is all over on auroa, and you should have brought enough with your for a few days.

Beyond the basics. Intel! I'd be spending all my time reconing the areas around me, looking for a Sentinel radio I could steal. Get into their comms with out them knowing.

gascan75
01-28-2020, 10:52 PM
How about this; Your Hero, is none other than the OG "Buzz" Gordon. With his lifelong dedication to service, he would have plenty of connections that would cue him into what happened with his Ghosts. After some asking around in Washington, he begins to piece together how deep the conspiracy goes and learns that he can't trust anyone. So he goes it alone, the last mission, of the first Ghost?

As for first moves?There's the basics. Shelter, or a stash of some sort. A place to keep any extras that you don't want to be lugging around. Water, a source that is reliable, but not near your "camp" in case one becomes compromised. And food is all over on auroa, and you should have brought enough with your for a few days.

Beyond the basics. Intel! I'd be spending all my time reconing the areas around me, looking for a Sentinel radio I could steal. Get into their comms with out them knowing.

I'll need to look into the Buzz back story since I don't recall- but that really sounds like a great idea. Or alternatively a task assigned by the original ghost- I like the connection... let me noodle it.

My idea is to produce some video content that is narrated- not sure if it'll be like reading out diary entries or just an "inner" narrative- ie: thoughts going through the head as we work through our process. A focus will be to bring us back to the Ghost Recon we want... and by we I'm just talking about the purists- not sure whether we're a minority or a majority at this point. I'm not sure who's left.

CrockfordCK
01-28-2020, 10:54 PM
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/ghostrecon/images/a/a9/Harold_Gordon_face.png/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/347?cb=20180910030019
https://ghostrecon.fandom.com/wiki/Harold_Gordon

gascan75
02-02-2020, 02:23 PM
I’m still shooting in game content for this but I get the wind knocked out of me with some of the stuff going on out there sometimes. It’s taking longer than I thought to crank out the first episode- but I’m still grinding away.

Crockford- I must say your suggestion got me thinking hard about my hero. Wait- I know how that sounded... You know what I mean. Anyway- the link to the OG is brilliant but I think he’s probably too old. But now I am thinking that someone very close to the OG... his own flesh and blood... might provide an excellent narrative opportunity. I mean- even dudes with flattops get laid... don’t they? So not totally implausible.

Not wanting to be labeled within the army special warfare community he’d have gone to the Navy side and gone up the DEVGRU tree... with deep roots in tier 1 across the services I imagine he’d have forged an immaculate reputation and would be a respected professional...

Buzz long since retired but with all of his connections in the community is approached about “the issue” happening inside the ghosts and asks if he has anyone in mind who can go clean things up from this recently failed mission-

Just maybe.

Steven527
02-03-2020, 06:18 AM
Most of the story lines I have gone into are in the non spec ops spectrum. My problem with the spec ops side is there is an entire command and logistical side that makes any premise hard to support. I tried to think up reasons to be on the island independent of the game idea. One that I've toyed with is instead of it being a spec ops mission that instead it is a normal gov't investigative team and your character is in the security detail. I've even got one now that was on Skell's security team and therefore targeted when Sentinel took over. He's now on the run and trying to find his boss.

This is him finding his own place in Long Valley ransacked by Sentinel. Obviously this is pre update as he hadn't been notified that HR required he wear a special belt.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49481364856_15e523922c_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2iouVSh)Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon® Breakpoint2020-1-22-14-8-47 (https://flic.kr/p/2iouVSh) by Steven Burke (https://www.flickr.com/photos/186177621@N08/), on Flickr

gascan75
02-03-2020, 01:12 PM
Yeah the tangible, credible story line may be slightly out of my reach but I figure if I can develop a character people like or relate to maybe I can skate on the background a bit.

Actually one of my side quests was to get my guy signed up as a sentinel guard doing one of those “hacks” of the system. This would be one of my missions- and I would need to lock down all the sentinel gear. Unfortunately while this should allow him to operate with more liberty in the world of without getting dog piled by sentinel troops all the time- we know that can’t happen in game so... it still makes turning that part of the story into anything very difficult. But it’s an angle I’m looking at as part of the narrative even if it doesn’t work into many of the visual scenes.