PDA

View Full Version : Ground Object Damage Calculation

XyZspineZyX
07-30-2003, 11:46 AM
This is just a report:

in several missions I've created myself using the FMB, I've seen regularly that vehicles like a surfaced submarine does major damage objects that seem to be far out of their reach, and also at least IMHO don't appear to be damageable by a sub's deck gun, for example. This finding applies to other ships with their guns as well.

I don't know whether this has been noted or reported anywhere, but it seems wrong, and hence I wanted to report it.

I am also under the impression that at least AI-inflicted bomb damage on objects often doesn't coincide with where the bombs actually fell, and how many. The damage seems to be rather random, as the bombs were dropped in entirely different sectors of the target area.

Just as a report, apologies if this is known, or I'm failing to properly understand something about this finding.

XyZspineZyX
07-30-2003, 11:46 AM
This is just a report:

in several missions I've created myself using the FMB, I've seen regularly that vehicles like a surfaced submarine does major damage objects that seem to be far out of their reach, and also at least IMHO don't appear to be damageable by a sub's deck gun, for example. This finding applies to other ships with their guns as well.

I don't know whether this has been noted or reported anywhere, but it seems wrong, and hence I wanted to report it.

I am also under the impression that at least AI-inflicted bomb damage on objects often doesn't coincide with where the bombs actually fell, and how many. The damage seems to be rather random, as the bombs were dropped in entirely different sectors of the target area.

Just as a report, apologies if this is known, or I'm failing to properly understand something about this finding.

XyZspineZyX
07-30-2003, 04:55 PM
Bump.
AchimT always finds notable things.

XyZspineZyX
07-31-2003, 09:53 PM
as a little addendum, both of the German FLAK gun types (20mm and 88mm) are capable of attacking and sinking submerged submarines. Can this be right?

XyZspineZyX
07-31-2003, 10:05 PM
Another strange one is how the MLRS rockets can't sink the new ships, regardless of how many hits they get.

I lined up a few hundred panzerwerfer 42s on the coast shooting at the Kirov, and even after a few thousand rocket hits, it is still floating. On time compression, engulfed in flames from explosions, it never sinks.

But you could attack it with one load of PTAB bombs on the deck and it would sink immediately. 2.5kg mini bombs that should have no effect whatsoever.

There are tons of these inconsistancies.

<div align=center>http://www.members.shaw.ca/fennec/plane.jpg </div><font size=-9>

XyZspineZyX
08-01-2003, 08:16 AM
Ah, interesting. I'd just switched from two flights of BF110's equipped with 500K bombs to HE111 with torpedoes because even 8 bombloads of the 500K bombs were unable to damage the Kirov.

However, since I had no way of know whether that's realistic or not, I didn't mention it. If the PTAB can kill it though, then it would at least be good if the Readme explained such things, as at first sight, they don't seem logical to the less informed user like myself.