PDA

View Full Version : The Settlers 2020 - Will there be a game mode with limited control of military units?

stygger
01-22-2020, 05:31 PM
Playing the first Settlers I loved that the focus was on the economy, the better you structured your economy the better military you got. This is a stark contrast to most other games where the focus was on building and using military units to win by abuse the AI's shortcomings in some gamey way.

I fully understand that the Settlers series at times moved towards allowing the players to get direct control over military units in an attempt to provide more "action" and attract new players. So for the 2020 version of Settlers, will there be an "economic" game-mode where the control of military units is limited (see Settlers 1) so that you actually need to have a better running economy to win?

vackillers
04-26-2020, 09:29 PM
I would also love an answer to this and was thinking about asking a similar question, you should post that in the questions thread thats sticky'd at the top of the forum. Might get a more direct answer.

Ubi-Thorlof
04-29-2020, 11:54 AM
Heyho,

this is gonna be a bit of a "yes and no" answer ;)

The military is neither as indirectly controlled as in the first 2 The Settlers games nor as directly controlled as in e.g. The Settlers 3 and 4.
We've just started off our next topic in regard to articles over on the The Settlers Alliance which is, coincidentally: the military.
We will start introducing various buildings related to the military path and have articles going in detail regarding recruitment, control, military leaders etc later down the line.

So, only a short reply here:
Any offensive actions require direct player input with you controlling groups of soldiers, while defending can be done in a more passive, indirect manner.
A stable, well-oiled economy and logistis system will be needed to produce the equipment needed for the soldiers - also due to all workers in the game now needing food (and not just the miners).

There is, however, no dedicated mode where certain features are completely changed or deactivated (you can play without opponents, though).

Hope this sheds some light on the topic - more later :)

vackillers
05-31-2020, 10:26 PM
thanks for the reply!