PDA

View Full Version : Good News For Oleg and 1C

GT182
03-08-2005, 02:51 PM
Finally some good news on the piracy of software.

"HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) - Three members of a global computer piracy ring admitted Thursday they shuttled millions of dollars in computer games, movies and software around the world through a coded system of Web sites and chat rooms."

Here's the rest of the story from my CompuServe account:
The men pleaded guilty in U.S. District court to federal copyright charges, becoming the first people convicted in what the U.S. Justice Department said was the largest-ever investigation into software piracy.

Their arrests came after FBI agents in New Haven spent more than a year looking into the underground ``Warez'' community on the Internet.

``It's a competition of different groups racing to release pirated software over the Internet,'' said Seth Kleinberg, a 26-year-old Los Angeles man who, with a high-school education and a home computer, cracked the computer industry's toughest copyright protections.

Kleinberg, who lives with his dad, faces between five and six years in prison when he is sentenced in July.

He pleaded guilty along with Jeffrey Lerman, 20, a University of Maryland student from Long Island, and Albert Bryndza, 32 of New York.

The investigation, dubbed ``Operation Higher Education'' spanned across the United States and about a dozen foreign countries, prosecutors said.

The FBI recently built a state-of-the-art computer crimes facility in the New Haven field office to handle Internet investigations.
03/08/05 14:11

This is great news for Oleg,1C and all the other software and gaming companies at least.

GT182
03-08-2005, 02:51 PM
Finally some good news on the piracy of software.

"HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) - Three members of a global computer piracy ring admitted Thursday they shuttled millions of dollars in computer games, movies and software around the world through a coded system of Web sites and chat rooms."

Here's the rest of the story from my CompuServe account:
The men pleaded guilty in U.S. District court to federal copyright charges, becoming the first people convicted in what the U.S. Justice Department said was the largest-ever investigation into software piracy.

Their arrests came after FBI agents in New Haven spent more than a year looking into the underground ``Warez'' community on the Internet.

``It's a competition of different groups racing to release pirated software over the Internet,'' said Seth Kleinberg, a 26-year-old Los Angeles man who, with a high-school education and a home computer, cracked the computer industry's toughest copyright protections.

Kleinberg, who lives with his dad, faces between five and six years in prison when he is sentenced in July.

He pleaded guilty along with Jeffrey Lerman, 20, a University of Maryland student from Long Island, and Albert Bryndza, 32 of New York.

The investigation, dubbed ``Operation Higher Education'' spanned across the United States and about a dozen foreign countries, prosecutors said.

The FBI recently built a state-of-the-art computer crimes facility in the New Haven field office to handle Internet investigations.
03/08/05 14:11

This is great news for Oleg,1C and all the other software and gaming companies at least.

crazyivan1970
03-08-2005, 03:33 PM
Unfortunately it just a little tiny bit of well oiled piracy machine... but still, good news indeed. One step at the time.

BBB_Hyperion
03-08-2005, 04:13 PM
For 1 they get 10 new take his place and bringing someone to prison for beeing able to find weaknesses in a software(which MFC is 1 of the main problems concerning security ) is a little overdone. They should hire these guys http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif. I doubt that it is a good message cause 3 out of millions is ineffective.

I like the new software better that encrypts itself so you cant calaculate a solution to it cause the program flow changes in smaller cycles . Based on complex fractal algorithms only a part of the software is at all executeable in a cycle.

This system combined with the idea of allowing a copy but reduce functionaly options every time intervall sounds for me more reliable .)

heywooood
03-08-2005, 08:03 PM
its a start - and it is better than doing nothing about it.

Philipscdrw
03-09-2005, 04:39 AM
Sending them to jail will discourage others from starting.

zaelu
03-09-2005, 05:31 AM
Between five and six years of prison... for software piracy? Sometime the sense of rightness of human kind is so hilarious. In Romania you could get cheaper with raping a girl. I'm sure if a law in this aspect will be voted in some countries they will have death sentences too.

http://www.jlhs.nhusd.k12.ca.us/Classes/Social_Science/Japan_Visit/Hiroshima.JPEG

steve_v
03-09-2005, 05:51 AM
Good post Gary. Thanks.
It only seems minute to those who will not be serving prison time. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Bearcat99
03-09-2005, 06:13 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by zaelu:
Between five and six years of prison... for software piracy? Sometime the sense of rightness of human kind is so hilarious. In Romania you could get cheaper with raping a girl. I'm sure if a law in this aspect will be voted in some countries they will have death sentences too.

http://www.jlhs.nhusd.k12.ca.us/Classes/Social_Science/Japan_Visit/Hiroshima.JPEG <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is grand theft......... and in Romania perhaps the lawmakers should purt more value on the country's women. Although the laws arent aiece of cake here in that respect either.

stubby
03-09-2005, 06:27 AM
Unfortunately, targeting internal pirates is a waste of time and effort. The real pirates are places like China, Thailand and Singapore. A few years ago my neighbor's brother got back from Hong Kong. In his book bag on four or five CDs, he had probably 50,000 US dollars worth of software burned. Everything from Oracle, CAD, Microsoft Office Suite, etc.. Any and everything one would need to run a business. His brother whom I played soccer with, justified the thievery because he owned a small web development company he ran out of his house and couldn't afford to legally purcahse the stuff he needed. I gave him $hit of course but he could care less. The thing was they pirate stuff was being sold on a street corner for 5 US dollars per CD. It was an eye opener. I can't even begin to tell you how many 'factory' DVDs he got but they were all current releases that he got for a buck a piece. Many agrue that piracy isn't as bad as the industry claims it to be because the industry wants any reason to jack prices up. If this guy is an example of what the situation is really like, it's pretty bad.

rummyrum
03-09-2005, 07:04 AM
Same type of crack down worked with drugs too http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Piracy tain't going anywhere...

womenfly
03-09-2005, 07:34 AM
Thanks BearCat99 for your comment....
"in Romania perhaps the lawmakers should purt more value on the country's women." That one went to the bone. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

I am sure they will be hired by some company when they get out .... or before, to smart not to.....

msalama
03-09-2005, 08:03 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rummyrum:
Same type of crack down worked with drugs too http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly. Not that drugs (possibly excluding grass, I dunno) aren't a bad thing - and piracy too - but all these godawful crusades just seem to lead nowhere in the long run...

airjunkie
03-09-2005, 10:04 AM
2 arrest wow! that leaves 300 or so to pick up the
slack

BaldieJr
03-09-2005, 09:28 PM
For as long as the box contains no tangible, people will pirate.

Intellectual Property is concept lost on the nonintellectual.

Common sense is a concept lost on the intellectuals.