PDA

View Full Version : Bombs after death

Yimmy
01-15-2005, 08:17 PM
Concerning bombs, why do they cause no damage to enemy ships and the like when you are dead?

For instance, I have skipped a bomb on the water, and flown down the side of a ship, to be killed by a direct hit a split second before the bomb hits - I see it hit, it explodes, but it fails to cause damage.

is this in for any real reason, or is it a bug of sorts?

Yimmy
01-15-2005, 08:17 PM
Concerning bombs, why do they cause no damage to enemy ships and the like when you are dead?

For instance, I have skipped a bomb on the water, and flown down the side of a ship, to be killed by a direct hit a split second before the bomb hits - I see it hit, it explodes, but it fails to cause damage.

is this in for any real reason, or is it a bug of sorts?

BlitzPig_DDT
01-15-2005, 08:55 PM
Are there really bombs after death? It's like the tree that falls in the forrest when noone is around....

3.JG51_BigBear
01-15-2005, 08:57 PM
Damage to ships isn't the easiest thing to see. What ships were you dropping bombs on? and have you tried/experienced the same with ground targets?

Latico
01-15-2005, 08:59 PM
Ships don't display damage the way our aircraft do. Your bomb may have caused damage but not enough to be seen. Damage markings usually don't show up on ships until enough damage has been inflicted, depending how it has been modeled.

I recently built a mission with Avengers attacking a IJ carrier with torpedos. One after the other the Avengers launched their torps and all hit. After the 4 torp hit it's mark the damage markings became visible on the side and on deck. Although it was not enough to sink the carrier, smoke began to rise from the deck and it slowly coasted to a halt, dead in the water. It's defense guns were still operational, but planes appeared to not be able to land on it, as I saw one (AI I think) attempt a landing and roled right off the front of the CV.

Yimmy
01-16-2005, 08:09 AM
No no no, the bomb I dropped should have sunk it. It was a 1,600 pound bomb from an SBD5 in this case.

After my plane exploded mid-air I swung the kill camera round and saw the bomb inpact the stern dead on, and explode.... to no damage.

I have not noticed the same thing when attacking ground targets, but I assume it is also true of it.

Zeus-cat
01-16-2005, 09:18 AM
What kind of ship was it? A 1600 pound bomb will not sink a big ship like a carrier; for the bigger ships you need multiple hits.

Zeus-cat

Yimmy
01-16-2005, 10:05 AM
Indeed; however this was a Japanese destroyer.

A 1,600 pound bomb must have a warhead of what, say 1000 pounds; that being about 450 odd kg's. I would be ****ed if a destroyer could survive that!

In any case, I have sunk such ships with one before; I am certain it is a case of the bombs damage being discounted once the launching aircraft is destroyed.

dse1010
01-16-2005, 01:44 PM
Were did you hit it? Placing of the bomb affects the damage. And if it happens again, speed up time and after a while see if the ship is stopped or listing.

_VR_ScorpionWorm
01-16-2005, 04:22 PM
Some ships have more armour on thier sides then on the deck. A 1600lb bomb may destroy most ships, but if a certain ship is extra armoured it wont do much with only one bomb.

Yimmy
01-16-2005, 04:35 PM
Hmmm, maybe it was the place of where the bomb hit then, as I got it right on the bows.

I noticed that while I could sink a US destroyer with two 250kg bombs to the side, it takes 4 to the bows.

Latico
01-16-2005, 05:25 PM
Yep that's it.

Figure it like this. divide the length of a ship into quarters, Then try to hit within the 2 center quarters. That's where all the vital stuff is, like the boiler rooms and ammo magazines.