PDA

View Full Version : OT: Start Up CPL

Wedge2566
01-26-2005, 07:13 AM
I know in a previous thread Jumoschwanz mentioned downloading Startup CPL to close out any programs running on Windows that will slow down performance. I am not Windows savy enough to know what to shut down and what not to. Does anyone have advise on this subject?

Thanks.

Wedge2566
01-26-2005, 07:13 AM
I know in a previous thread Jumoschwanz mentioned downloading Startup CPL to close out any programs running on Windows that will slow down performance. I am not Windows savy enough to know what to shut down and what not to. Does anyone have advise on this subject?

Thanks.

Heavy_Weather
01-26-2005, 07:19 AM
depending on what version of windows you have, you can click start/run and type msconfig, click the startup tab from the top and turn off everything except your virus program.

Wedge2566
01-26-2005, 07:27 AM
Im running Win XP Pro I went to the msconfig and I do not have a clue what to "uncheck".

Jumoschwanz
01-26-2005, 10:58 AM
Hi Wedge,

startupcpl is a nice little program that only takes up 56kilobytes of disk space.

Once it is installed you go into your control panel and you will see an icon marked Startup.

All you have to do to start is shutdown everything you can! Don't worry you cannot hurt anything this way. After doing this, when you restart your computer, if somthing is not as you would like you simply go back into Startup CPL and re-activate it.

For instance I took everything on startup on my fathers computer off. He noticed that his Kodak Photo software icons were missing. He was not savvy enough to know he could just go into Start/programs whenever he wanted and find and start this program so to make things easy I just went back into StartupCPL and checked this one item for startup and his worries were over.

Startup CPL does free up a lot of RAM, and when I want a program to start I don't mind starting it up through the start/programs procedure, I do not miss the taskbar and desktop icons at all.

You will notice that some programs you uncheck will replicate and re-check themselves! When this happens I just let them go, you can't win them all. These programs might have options themselves to keep them from starting up, but each is different and you have to decide if you want to spend the time learning about them to keep them from startup or not.

THat is about it. You can't do anything with startupcpl that will hurt your system, or that cannot be easily undone, so play with it and see what you can turn off.

Yes msconfig can do the same thing, but not all versions of windows have msconfig! I use windows2000 and it does not come with it. I could import the msconfig from windows XP into win2000, but it has a few glitches and probably takes up more than StartupCPLs 56k of discspace, and uses more resources to boot! S!

Jumoschwanz