01-06-2006, 02:32 PM
This series NEEDS 6dof.

ImpStarDuece
01-06-2006, 02:37 PM
Not going to happen

BM357_TinMan
01-06-2006, 02:51 PM
Oh, I know it won't.

Our dear Oleg can be singularly minded and stuborn as an old stick of hickory, but it needs be said every now and again because it is so true.

This series DOES need 6dof.

crazyivan1970
01-06-2006, 03:28 PM
Has nothing to do with Oleg being stubborn or whatever..., it just a huge job that he cannot allocate resources and time for. I think he made it perfectly clear back in the day http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Hristo_
01-06-2006, 04:24 PM
Oleg's sims were the first to use TIR device. AH or WB, for example, were not using it for months or even years later, despite them being "constantly in development".

Meanwhile, TIR went through generations, up to the current 6dof. It is not realistic to expect of Oleg to update his sim which is now over 4 years old. Especially if tihs update would mean massive amount of work and delay of BoB.

BoB will most likely use the latest TIR would be able to offer when it comes out.

Scen
01-06-2006, 05:14 PM
I bet they would do it if they could make money!

Scen
01-06-2006, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Hristo_:
Oleg's sims were the first to use TIR device. AH or WB, for example, were not using it for months or even years later, despite them being "constantly in development".

Meanwhile, TIR went through generations, up to the current 6dof. It is not realistic to expect of Oleg to update his sim which is now over 4 years old. Especially if tihs update would mean massive amount of work and delay of BoB.

BoB will most likely use the latest TIR would be able to offer when it comes out.

That's sorta true however, like most developers they are on to the next product to make money. Charge a fee for an addon provided there was a big enough market and I bet he would do it.

vocatx
01-07-2006, 11:05 AM
I may be wrong, and if I am someone will soon correct me. The current cocpits are modeled in 2-d, and if you were allowed to use 6dof, the 'pits would "tear apart" when you moved your head around. So, to impliment 6dof (which I would really like to see), would involve building new models of every 'pit in the sim. I would say this is not very feasible.

Hristo_
01-07-2006, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by vocatx:
I may be wrong, and if I am someone will soon correct me. The current cocpits are modeled in 2-d, and if you were allowed to use 6dof, the 'pits would "tear apart" when you moved your head around. So, to impliment 6dof (which I would really like to see), would involve building new models of every 'pit in the sim. I would say this is not very feasible.

Exactly my opinion. It would be a massive undertaking.

Oleg has to think strategically - not even money is all that matters. He might earn some money for the suggested addon, but may lose customers in the long run if BoB is late. Unless we all pay 50$ for 6DOF version of FB+AEP+PF http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.

EDCF_Rama
01-07-2006, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by vocatx:

No the models are not in 2D, they are in 3D.
But they are modelled for a single, non-moving point of view. And potential existing faces or objects that can't be seen from this point of view are NOT modelled (to save polygons).
Now if you allow translation of this point of view (3 axes of the 6-dof are translation), then those missing faces, polygons and objects would be visible, and so would HAVE to be modelled.

Moreover, since currently the head isn't supposed to move, the collision of the head and the canopy isn't coded... that should also be added in case of 6-dof.

So yes, it would be a major rework

Jetbuff
01-07-2006, 05:22 PM
I like the idea of 6DoF too, but let's consider the options

Option 1: Oleg magnanimously redoes all 160+ cockpits for all flyables to accommodate 6DoF. Maddox Games goes broke and BoB is scrapped.

Option 2: Oleg allows us to employ 6DoF with the existing cockpit models. The forum is overloaded with complaints about graphical glitches and claims of exploits. We stop playing IL-2 in disgust.

Option 3: Oleg redoes all the pits and sells it as an expansion. Few buy it (not that many trackIR + vector users actually) and it's a flop that only further delays BoB.

Option 4: Oleg continues to 'be stubborn' and we get a polished, well rounded BoB with all the trimmings including 6DoF on schedule. (OK, maybe two weeks late http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif) He makes a lot of money and BoB's expansions start rolling in.

marcocomparato
01-07-2006, 08:07 PM
dont ask for the impossible. rather, lets keep it real. what we NEED and can easily achieve is :

Z-AXIS MAPPING FOR VECTOR TRACKIR USERS TO A FOV AXIS. its what LOMAC enabled after vector expansion released. theyre based off the same 1C codebase i think.

it doesnt require new texturing. just some programming. according to naturalpoint its a few lines of code.

LEBillfish
01-07-2006, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Jetbuff:
I like the idea of 6DoF too, but let's consider the options

Option 1: Oleg magnanimously redoes all 160+ cockpits for all flyables to accommodate 6DoF. Maddox Games goes broke and BoB is scrapped.

Option 2: Oleg allows us to employ 6DoF with the existing cockpit models. The forum is overloaded with complaints about graphical glitches and claims of exploits. We stop playing IL-2 in disgust.

Option 3: Oleg redoes all the pits and sells it as an expansion. Few buy it (not that many trackIR + vector users actually) and it's a flop that only further delays BoB.

Option 4: Oleg continues to 'be stubborn' and we get a polished, well rounded BoB with all the trimmings including 6DoF on schedule. (OK, maybe two weeks late http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif) He makes a lot of money and BoB's expansions start rolling in.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/351.gif

BfHeFwMe
01-07-2006, 11:24 PM
Well if BoB is such a leap and its already dough in the bank, Ahemmm, what's the bloody big deal?

We already have six DOF in all the gunners positions. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif