PDA

View Full Version : Bizarre orders from HQ

Nick_Toznost
09-10-2005, 05:49 PM
I'm currently enjoying a highly (so far) successful career. I've got a pimped up type IX, completed every "patrol this sector" order and it's late '42.
Thought I'd treat myself to a change of flotilla/base. I was transferred to Bordeaux. I then discovered that I had to patrol DN16. That's Cuba for anyone without a map to hand. Seemed like a rather extreme order to me. I set out and noticed my fuel was at 50% at a third of the way out. Abandon patrol.

I then went back a save game or 2 and was restationed to Bergen, where do they want me to patrol? SOUTH AFRICA.

I understand that the whole Atlantic is mapped out so I'm sure you can and are meant to get to these destinations. I just can't work out how. It's also very boring waiting. Esp when you leave it on 1024 and go off and make a cup of tea and come back to find you've moved 2 kilometres because your watchman's spotted a German fishing boat.

I quit the game and came on this forum.

Does the game expect me to have the next sub up with (I presume) an adequate fuel supply?

Should I really bother with patrolling the areas I'm ordered to?

If I don't patrol the assigned area will I lose anything else other than renown, Ie, will it stop me getting promoted etc?

I'm still a noob really, this is my first career.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

HW3
09-10-2005, 07:26 PM
Um...this may be a stupid question but, your not trying to sail all the way there on the surface are you? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Messervy
09-10-2005, 07:48 PM
I think if you go at the slowest possible speed you just might get there and back.

Cpt.Thorne
09-10-2005, 07:50 PM
I´d try this...make a path to your patrol area and back go ahead slow and ask your navigator how long can you go with the fuel you have if it is longer than the waypoints back and forth go for it as slow as possible on the surface and remember going slow submerged you can make quite distances if you have your batteries pimped...going anything faster than slow or 1/3 speeds the boat guzzles the diesel down a lot quicker.As you will most likely counter enemy ships and have to sail quicker you just have to control the fuel mileage from your navigator afterwards. These boats have quite a mileage considering their size. I have spent weeks patrolling south of Iceland and returned back with still a relaxing amount of fuel on board the VII B I used to have. Luckily my patrol ordes are currently mostly close the canarian islands Azores or Gbraltar (stationed in Brest) so no sweatting there.

You earn renown reaching the grid and patrolling it and docking like this with 100% realism settings
Reaching patrolgrid: = 500
Patroling patrolgrid for 24 hours = 200
Docking at home port = 100

other than that I think it is not mandatory to reach it but 500 is a good amount more about renown and realism and other stuff about it in here Renown community manual (http://www.communitymanuals.com/shiii/index.php?title=Renown)

and other good stuff to look around at the Community manual main page (http://www.communitymanuals.com/shiii/index.php?title=Main_Page)

I´d say your crew would love to cruise the caribbean for some time more than the freezing waters of Denmark strait or close to Greenland http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Hope this helped,
Good hunting!
Cpt.T

Gunnersman
09-10-2005, 07:54 PM
You dont have to go to the patrol area in your orders...however, you get renown for it. How much? I dont know. I think its quite a bit.

You can always hit escape and "return to base" but you dont get renown for docking at your base.

There is a mod you get download that allows you to enter neutral ports or use milk cows to extend your range as well. Check out "Sansal's Milk Cow Mod" at subsim.com.

Nick_Toznost
09-10-2005, 07:54 PM
Thanks for the replies. I think my biggest problem is that I'm too impatient perhaps. Some good suggestions there. Thanks again.

paulhager
09-10-2005, 08:24 PM
I just completed a career, which included about 18 months in a Type IX. Had several long patrols which were either to PZ's across the Atlantic or which were in the vicinity of Freetown, which allowed me to head over to Port of Spain. This was possible because my cruising speed was never more than 1/3. At slow your range is something close to 20,000 km.

What to do on these long missions? Some people have changed the TC value. Me, I just read a book. In fact, I've read 3. Since, left to my own devices and with no computer game, I'd probably have read the book(s) anyway, it was an ideal solution. First time I've ever been able to play a computer game AND engage in another activity as well.

I will note that when 1943 rolled around, leisurely cruises across the Atlantic became more problematic. What I did was to cruise at 1/3 while in Allied air cover and then to slow in the mid-Atlantic. The idea is to transit the danger area with "all deliberate speed." I returned to 1/3 when in air cover on the other side. I limited higher speeds to situations where I had to set up an attack on a convoy or other target.

Baldricks_Mate
09-10-2005, 08:28 PM
Another hint: When on the surface following a plotted course, click on the Navigator & select "maximum range at current speed". Vary speed & click again. Settle on the speed that gives the most range, probably about 7 knots surfaced which you may have to set manually in the navigation dials at the bottom right of the stations screens. Click the little black button to toggle from "helm speed" (slow ahead etc) to set speed dial. The navigator won't give you a range when submereged though.

ZG77_Lignite
09-10-2005, 09:12 PM
I've been tasked with patroling Capetown in my Type IXc. At about 8-9 knots (slightly better than ahead slow) and good weather (diving is a good idea in bad weather) I can get better than 26000km, which leaves about 4000+km worth of fuel for shadowing and attacking. Total tonnage so far is 15000. Can't wait to get the IXD2 and park off of India.

Kaleun1961
09-10-2005, 10:01 PM
Isn't using batteries to cruise submerged only going to drain your diesel anyway, because you have to burn diesel to recharge the batteries? I've never had to consider using the batteries to extend my cruise range; to my thinking I can't help but feel the necessity to run one diesel motor to recharge is counterproductive. But I may be wrong. I'm willing to learn.

Baldricks_Mate
09-10-2005, 10:38 PM
Yes, ordering the command "charge batteries" slows your boat speed slightly, as one engine is devoted to that task, most noticeable if at flank. However, I have not noticed a decrease in range that has any effect in my campaigns. I tend to use this command when shadowing between attacks and when getting a charge in quickly before being spotted by aircraft. It has its uses.

Kaleun1961
09-10-2005, 10:41 PM
I'll give that a try when the necessity arises.

blastomatic1759
09-10-2005, 11:10 PM
wait until HQ decides to send you somewhere stupid like CG32. Thats spain and i never saw a river to go up , so i guess they expected me to do a shore raid and loot, pillage and tear up some town but i didnt see it. Anyone know whats at CG32? besides dirt,or why i got sent there.

Bullbyte
09-11-2005, 01:52 AM
Ah yes. Welcome to the G quadrant's of "Sudeafrika". Currently on my second mission ordered to GR and Capetown now in my IXC out of St. Nazaire. In real time terms be prepared that these are multiple game day missions. At least they are for me. Over six hours in transit time alone. Tests your patience for sure. Good news is there is no air cover around Capetown but there are a couple warships to keep an ear out for. During my patrol of GR57 the first time down there, I went into the harbor. One stinking little small tanker was all I found, but this new mission I am currently on has RUb 1.43 implemented so may make it more interesting and also it's August 1943 and I just got my snorkle. A couple notes along the way:

1.) Your tonnage for the mission is going to come from convoy's you will encounter in the DG > DH Quadrents.

2.) From the dead center of DH7 (That's the most SW quadrent in DH.)if you go due South from there you can travel all the way to the equator without air cover hampering you. If you then leg just a bit North of the equator headed East, you can travel to the center of FF3 (Noth East Quandent in FF) and take a direct line to Capetown. No air cover.

2.) Fuel is going to be tight as you suspect. No high speed chases to intercept run away contact markers. Intercept coming into your heading at flank fine. But let the runners go. I docked back at St. Nazaire with about an eight tank of fuel left having gone most the distance at slow speed and keeping my flank speed intecepts as few as possible.

3.) The hardest part time wise for me was porposing the North of Spain back into port as the radar equiped aircover is out day and night and never ever misses you. (Shoot two down and four more show up. Jeese.)

4.) I should explain that by "porposing" I mean I would let my air come down just about half of the first marked zone on the dial and then pop up for a quick recharge and fresh air at flank speed then back down - day or night. That's just about enough time to do those activities at 64x time before the PBY's vector onto you. (and I do mean "just") The idea is being not to run your batteries and air down too far or it becomes a nightmare to recharge and refresh them with the air drones dogging you. Still it is a LONG way at 64x.

5.) Save often. When your done for the day Alt + F4 out.

Have a Bon Voyage!

W.Irving
09-11-2005, 03:21 AM
For some reason, you don't seem to consume fuel while recharging (nor can you hear the engine running). So theoretically, you could complete a patrol without using up any diesel fuel.

IRL, the most economic way of travelling would be using one diesel at its most efficient RPM, and never submerging.

Tobus75
09-11-2005, 05:26 AM
Before 1943 I always:
- run submerged during night
- run slow or 2/3 surfaced during day

this to spot better during the daytime and listen for ships when visibility is low during the night.

After 1943 I always:
- run submerged during daytime
- run slow or 2/3 surfaced at night.

This to counter the increasing harrasment from the air. Ships found during daytime I shadow to attack at night.

This way, I have never run out of fuel, no matter what sub I was sailing at the time. Running out of fish is another matter though. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Sunfighter1941
09-11-2005, 08:14 PM
I challenge anybody to do a port to cuba and back to port mission without using time compression http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Pv-
09-11-2005, 08:40 PM
Recharging batteries DOES use fuel, but it shows up are a slight decrease in surface speed from what you would have if you were not charging. The good side of it is it DOES extend your range running on batteries. I do it often when I know I have a thin fuel reserve and have the ability to do long surface runs to charge up. Running on standard I lose about 2-3 knots in relatively calm weather. This is not enough decrease in performance to negate the advantage of running on battery.

Give it a try. Get an estimate of range from your navigator, then submerge and run on battery at 2 knots for 8 hours. You will surface with about 1/3 of your battery used. Charge it up and when at the same speed again ask the nav for another estimate. You will find several hundred KM added to your range (if not more.) If in rough water, submerge deep enough to dampen out the surface effects a bit (close to 50 meters.)
-Pv-

Schrambling
09-12-2005, 02:50 AM
I just started playing the game and I recently changed the realism setting for fuel to limited. I then found I could barely make it to the mission grid and back to base. (Especially being used to unlimited fuel and eager despite playing at +512)

Then it dawned on me to split travel between submerged and surface and now I have much fuel to spare and usually run out of torpedo's first. Submerged I cruise at Ahead Standard (+/- 6 knots) and surface I cruise at 1/3 Ahead (+/- 9 knots).

I think it might be possible to make it to Cuba, but not sure about the return trip. In any case, bring extra cheese!

W.Irving
09-12-2005, 03:44 AM
Originally posted by Pv-:
Recharging batteries DOES use fuel, but it shows up are a slight decrease in surface speed from what you would have if you were not charging. The good side of it is it DOES extend your range running on batteries. I do it often when I know I have a thin fuel reserve and have the ability to do long surface runs to charge up. Running on standard I lose about 2-3 knots in relatively calm weather. This is not enough decrease in performance to negate the advantage of running on battery.

Give it a try. Get an estimate of range from your navigator, then submerge and run on battery at 2 knots for 8 hours. You will surface with about 1/3 of your battery used. Charge it up and when at the same speed again ask the nav for another estimate. You will find several hundred KM added to your range (if not more.) If in rough water, submerge deep enough to dampen out the surface effects a bit (close to 50 meters.)
-Pv-

I read ages ago that if you ran out of diesel, you could simply dive and run on batteries. When the batteries were drained, you could surface and recharge them without having any diesel.

Completely unrealistic though, getting longer range by running on batteries. Overall efficiency of the propulsion decreases substantially. I shall have to test this myself.

The fact that you can go further by submerging from time to time only confirms the idea that the game does not consume diesel when the batteries are being charged.