PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone fly the J2M3 raiden on line?



SkyChimp
08-20-2006, 02:48 PM
I don't play on-line anymore. But I play off line and love this little plane. It's fast, climbs like a castrated monkey, rolls like a Focker, and has plenty of firepower. How popular is this little plane on-line?

Bobsqueek
08-20-2006, 02:56 PM
Last time I flew online a few weeks ago was in the J2, cosmic airplane.

JG53Frankyboy
08-20-2006, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Bobsqueek:
Last time I flew online a few weeks ago was in the J2, cosmic airplane.

its not very popular amongst red pilots on online servers http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

you can fly it on some maps on the Zeke vs Wildcat server - its a killer...........

i would never have expected it that it would be so powerfull in game. oleg must have found some special sources about it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

TX-Gunslinger
08-20-2006, 03:17 PM
I've flown it a few times. It turns well, climbs like crazy, rolls well and has a great cannon punch. Terminal dive is outstanding with good elevator authority, about the same an an Anton.

Seems to have a lot of ammo for a Japanese plane, but I've never actually counted it.

Great plane - but with that rapid "blue" overheat that seems to be common on all axis.

In summary, Chimp, I agree.... it's a comfortable aircraft to fly.

I always thought to myself that the Ki-84 was the Japanese "FW-190" with better turning and less ability to take damage - but I'd say this aircraft is even more along that line, with even more refinement than even a late war butcher bird. Seems to be able to take a fair amount of damage too, certainly more than Ki-84.

Beautiful aircraft too = looks like a short stubby bullet.

S~

Gunny

tigertalon
08-20-2006, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by TX-Gunslinger:
Seems to have a lot of ammo for a Japanese plane, but I've never actually counted it.


190 rpg for one pair and 210 for the other. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

In a nutshell, take the best from La5FN and Fw190A, and voila, you have J2M3.

ploughman
08-20-2006, 03:33 PM
It's a great opponent for a Spitfire. Deadly dangerous.

JG53Frankyboy
08-20-2006, 03:55 PM
and i have to as.
the J2M5 was a positive surprise in this game as the Ki-100 was a bad one.........


i know the Ki-100 was no stelar performer in 1945 - the year of its combat debue.
and its best points, high reliability and easy to fly, doent count in this game.
but now how it is.......... these P-51 pilots must had a very bad day http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif


"Ranged against the Mustangs was a wide variety of Japanese fighters. Only Jack had the 51 's speed, and none could match the Mustang's acceleration or high-altitude performance. The most numerous Japanese fighters were the Navy's Mitsubishi A6M line, including the ultimate Zero, the A6M6. The JAAF's most widely-deployed fighter over the Empire was the Nakajima Ki-84 . . . Frank to the Americans. Zeke was about 100 mph slower than the Mustang and could only hope to out-turn or out climb it at low to medium altitude. Among the fastest enemy fighters, Frank was still about 50 mph slower than the North American, but climbed and turned better. Still, a 51 employing combat flap could stay with Frank long enough for a kill, if the Mustang's speed wasn't excessive. Otherwise, Frank would evade with a tight turn when the 51 opened fire.

The Kawasaki Ki-61, dubbed Swallow by the Japanese and Tony by the Allies, was a poor match for the 51; its only advantage was lighter wing loading. But ironically a serious engine shortage turned the Swallow into a falcon. Faced with a lack of the 1,160-hp liquid-cooled engines for which the Ki-61 had been designed, (See Airpower, March 1975) the Japanese quickly developed a means of fitting extra Tony airframes with 2,000-hp radials. The result was a match for almost any American fighter in the war. Designated Ki-100, the radial-engine Tony never received an Allied code name, but was respected by Mustang pilots who suddenly found their speed advantage badly depleted."

http://506thfightergroup.org/mustangsofiwo.asp

but anyway, the Ki-84 comparisson also dont fit http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

RCAF_Irish_403
08-20-2006, 04:00 PM
I would much rather fly the J2M3 than the Ki84

berg417448
08-20-2006, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by JG53Frankyboy:
and i have to as.
the J2M5 was a positive surprise in this game as the Ki-100 was a bad one.........


i know the Ki-100 was no stelar performer in 1945 - the year of its combat debue.
and its best points, high reliability and easy to fly, doent count in this game.
but now how it is.......... these P-51 pilots must had a very bad day http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif


"Ranged against the Mustangs was a wide variety of Japanese fighters. Only Jack had the 51 's speed, and none could match the Mustang's acceleration or high-altitude performance. The most numerous Japanese fighters were the Navy's Mitsubishi A6M line, including the ultimate Zero, the A6M6. The JAAF's most widely-deployed fighter over the Empire was the Nakajima Ki-84 . . . Frank to the Americans. Zeke was about 100 mph slower than the Mustang and could only hope to out-turn or out climb it at low to medium altitude. Among the fastest enemy fighters, Frank was still about 50 mph slower than the North American, but climbed and turned better. Still, a 51 employing combat flap could stay with Frank long enough for a kill, if the Mustang's speed wasn't excessive. Otherwise, Frank would evade with a tight turn when the 51 opened fire.

The Kawasaki Ki-61, dubbed Swallow by the Japanese and Tony by the Allies, was a poor match for the 51; its only advantage was lighter wing loading. But ironically a serious engine shortage turned the Swallow into a falcon. Faced with a lack of the 1,160-hp liquid-cooled engines for which the Ki-61 had been designed, (See Airpower, March 1975) the Japanese quickly developed a means of fitting extra Tony airframes with 2,000-hp radials. The result was a match for almost any American fighter in the war. Designated Ki-100, the radial-engine Tony never received an Allied code name, but was respected by Mustang pilots who suddenly found their speed advantage badly depleted."

http://506thfightergroup.org/mustangsofiwo.asp

but anyway, the Ki-84 comparisson also dont fit http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

And to confuse the issue even more there is this evalaution I found of the Mustang by a Japanese pilot:

"To offer you a counter perspective...from the pages of Flight Journal, the subject: a captured P-51C Mustang named Evalina:

"Maj. Yasuhiko Kuroe-a famous personality in the 64th Sentai that had first dueled with the Mustang-was ordered to test-fly the aircraft and wring out its secrets. He was the top Army ace among the academy graduates and the ideal man for the job. He was the first JAAF pilot to shoot down the stealthy RAF Mosquito."

"Kuroe returned to Japan from Burma in January 1944. He became a test pilot for the Army Flight Inspection Department and evaluated air-to-air rockets and high-altitude, twin-engine interceptors to be used against B-29's. While flying an experimental Ki-102 fighter, he claimed two Superfortresses shot down. Before the War ended, he recorded 51 aerial victories in his logbook."

"In his report, Kuroe noted that the Mustang had a better turning performance than the Ki-84 Frank and that it had superior climbing power and dive speed and a magnificent direction finder. The .50-caliber guns were found to be much better than the Japanese 12.7mm guns.

Maj. Yohei Hinoki came face to face with the Mustang at Akeno Fighter School when Maj. Kuroe paid a visit. Though he now had a wooden leg, Hinoki was still flying, and he was still bitter toward the sleek machine. He was invited to test fly Evalina, and the experience simply took his breath away. "It was made for a pilot!" he told this author in 1980. "It handled beautifully, was finely engineered, nicely designed, very fast, and it was tight. It did not leak oil!"

"The Army GHQ ordered Kuroe to train pilots at each base and use the P-51 in mock dogfightts. He flew against the Frank, the Ki-61 Tony, the Ki-44 Tojo, and the superb Ki-100 Goshikisen. In one memorable match, Kuroe was pitted against Capt. Teruhiko Kobayashi, the 24-yar-old CO of the 244th Sentai. Kpbayashi flew head-on into Kuroe's path, which unnerved him. The young captain had twice intentionally rammed B-29's; he was an ace with three B-29's and two Hellcats shot down."

Xiolablu3
08-20-2006, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by SkyChimp:
I don't play on-line anymore. But I play off line and love this little plane. It's fast, climbs like a castrated monkey, rolls like a Focker, and has plenty of firepower. How popular is this little plane on-line?

You should come and play online with us Skychimp, would be great to see you. In fact I am going to pm you.

Its a great little plane when used in its historical scenarios, its 4 20mm really cut planes up. Its treated a bit like a Japanese FW190.

I prefer the US planes, so when a map with the J2M3 comes up I am usually red, but I have flown it the odd time and it seems cool.

The problem is that the Ki84 is often on the map too, and the ki84 can carry bombs to the target and hte J2M3 cant. SO often the Ki84 is taken instead.

Feathered_IV
08-20-2006, 09:01 PM
Its a great thing to fly on Zekes' server. The reds BnZ's never think to check if there might be something even higher than they are http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Can't wait for the Shiden http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif.

vocatx
08-20-2006, 09:06 PM
The Jack is a good plane. For a Japanese airplane it's pretty fast, climbs and turns good, and takes a fair amount of damage. I don't think it's the terror weapon that most of the guys that fly mostly red seem to think it is. Most late war US aircraft can easily out run it and definitely take more damage and keep fighting. Most of the guys using it on-line are simply not using the proper tactics and teamwork required to keep the advantage.

Personally, given the choice, I still take the Ki-84 (preferably the -B) over the Jack.

Haigotron
08-20-2006, 09:43 PM
i love it soooooooo much i chose it as my sig

VW-IceFire
08-20-2006, 09:51 PM
Been flying it alot on the new scenarios on UK-Dedicated2. Intercepted and shot down at least one B-29 and tangled with Corsairs and Mustangs to very good effect. The J2M3 is something to be reckoned with as its fast, small, and agile with a decent punch. It balances out the Allied aircraft quite well.

KIMURA
08-20-2006, 11:14 PM
When I fly for Blue @ Zero vs.WCat-Server I absolutely prefer the J2M3 over any other IJN/JAAF a/c. It climbs like a monkey and combines good firepower with relative high diving speeds and good level speeds. The thing you have to handle with the J2M3 are the slow firing guns. If dont aim carefully you can easily "hole the air" around the targets instead of hitting it.

If I fly Red I got most respect for the J2M3, more than for any other contrahent including noob planes like Ki-84-Ic.

Badsight-
08-20-2006, 11:42 PM
oh - i lub the Raiden

absolutly

JG52Karaya-X
08-21-2006, 03:04 AM
A most excellent plane - like Kimura I choose it over the Ki84

Rollrate, turnrate, sealevel speed and speed at altitude are all very good and the ammunition supply is very generous. Only the trajectory of the 20mm is a bit bad thats why I leave convergence at 500m most of the times. It is definitely a planes that can cause a lot of chaos among its enemies and just yesterday I fought 2 P51Ds at ~4500m and shot them both down. If the Mustangs let you get to close range its all over for them because even if they decide to dive you can stay with them long enough to fire a few vital bursts. The best Japanese plane ingame - be sure!

F19_Orheim
08-21-2006, 03:19 AM
A fav on late war on Zeke's. I can't for my life understand why people choose the Ki84c instead of this chubby little plane, it's excellent.

HotelBushranger
08-21-2006, 04:55 AM
I reckon it's a great place, HOWEVER whenever I'm 50m on someones tail, whenever I fire I swear it NEVER does! It always seems to temporarily jam RIGHT at the crucial moment. This alone put me off flying it, I'm a helluva lot better with the Ki-100 anyway http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/typing.gif

F19_Olli72
08-21-2006, 05:24 AM
I never liked the Ki-84, so ill definatly pick the Raiden over it. On Zeke's i stayed with a Corsair in a steep dive from over 4000 m right down to the deck. Not many japanese planes can do that. Besides, it looks cool http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

JG53Frankyboy
08-21-2006, 05:29 AM
Originally posted by HotelBushranger:
I reckon it's a great place, HOWEVER whenever I'm 50m on someones tail, whenever I fire I swear it NEVER does! It always seems to temporarily jam RIGHT at the crucial moment. This alone put me off flying it, I'm a helluva lot better with the Ki-100 anyway http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/typing.gif

if your guns are not hit by enemy fire - there is no gun jam modelled in game.......

Feathered_IV
08-21-2006, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by F19_Olli72:
I never liked the Ki-84, so ill definatly pick the Raiden over it...

I have to agree. I never felt at home in the Hayate at all. Maybe I'm just too much of an IJN officianado http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/metal.gif

Fighterduck
08-21-2006, 07:06 AM
pretty rare to find it on online maps: but first time i used it....the climb rate it's just crazy! ..yeah..for me the J2 is the best jap plane to fly...fast, heavy weaponery, manouvrable like a zero...love this plane ^^

R988z
08-21-2006, 09:22 AM
I first gave it a go a couple of months or so ago, nice easy(ish) plane to fly, good armament, turns pretty good, if not that fast in a straight line. I was able to use it quite successfully, though more because noone else used it much and the I guess the other pilots just weren't used to it's capabilities. You can't run away though, but thats the same with most japanese aircraft.

Ernst_Rohr
08-21-2006, 12:50 PM
I fly the Japanese birds quite often and I do like the J2M birds. The speed plus diving ability come as a very rude shock to a lot of red flyers, which is always fun! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Given the option though, I fly the Ki-84b. The 84 is slightly faster across the board, and turns slightly better. The 84 also has better visibilty and heat managment over the J2M. Plus, as is mentioned, the guns on the J2 are SLOW so you have to shoot accurately. Diving and toughness definately go to the J2 though, its a much more robust plane than the 84.

I think the J2 and Ki-84 are equivelent planes and like em both, with my personal preference going to the 84 for heat and visibility.

In most cases though, the J2 is a great performer, and really scares the heck of the red flyers who are not used to its performance compared the the usual weakness of the Japanese birds.

SkyChimp
08-21-2006, 07:21 PM
I fly offline exclusively now. There isn't a single plane I can't pretty easily handle in the J2M3. Even the La-7s on Ace settings are easy meat. There has to be multiple La-7s for it to be a match.

Xiolablu3
08-21-2006, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by Fighterduck:
pretty rare to find it on online maps: but first time i used it....the climb rate it's just crazy! ..yeah..for me the J2 is the best jap plane to fly...fast, heavy weaponery, manouvrable like a zero...love this plane ^^

Not really mate, if the time period and setting is right then its always there.

Its always popping up on the servers I fly on, try some other servers http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif