PDA

View Full Version : The incredible shot from u-54, unbelievable!!

Kuniworth
04-02-2005, 08:18 AM
Cant believe this.

I am the commander of VIIB sub u-54 and have had a brilliant career so far with 103,000 tons sunk. Now it's late march 1940 and u-54 been assigned to go to square BF15(southwest of the british isle) from wilhelmshaven. So I plot my course to travel around UK instead of through the channel and leave the port.

All is quiet until I come approxamatly 200 kilometers west of the orkney islands. So far no ship has been spotted but all of the sudden at 17.33 the watch officers cries "ship spotted" at 60 degress traveling fast to the east.

I can't see anything but the navigation map says TASKFORCE. Now my blood starts to rush, warships!! Finally I may get a chance to nail some big bugger.

So I count the distance to around 8000(?) meters. I am heading northwest and they are heading east at bearing 60 degrees. I realise this will be almost impossible to catch up with the taskforce but I immediately change course to northeast. A gamble with little chance of success.

I change course and can soon see smoke from 6-7 ships. They travel faster then me so all looks in vain - I cant catch them.

At 17.36 the watch officer cries out that the enemy has spotted us and opened fire. Shells are suddenly all around us and I realise it would be suicide to remain surfaced.

So I order a crash dive and then periscope depth.

up scope and what do I see? 6500 meters away I can recognize the Nelson battleship and some destroyers steeming away. Can't spot any carriers or other big ships... But even more disturbing; on the navigation map I can see that a destroyer is charging at my location maximum speed.

So I curse my bad luck when I finally stumble upon a taskforce but decides nontheless to send some torps against the Nelson Battleship. The weaponsofficer gives me a quick target solution and I fire three torps instantly.

At 17.39 two electric and one steam torpedoes are launched. I even forgot to open the tubes(got a little nervous with shells whistling past my periscope) and then I order a dive to 50 meters and silent running. Of course I have no hope that the torps would hit anything.

The destroyer is closing incredible fast and soon depth charges are in the water around me, but Im sneaking away safe to the east. My sonarman reports that other warships are closing fast, most likely destroyers. So I rig for silent running and 3 knots speed.

Then something incredible happen. At 17.45 sonar reports two torpedo hits! One must have missed but two did appearently hit something. I am sure it must be one of the destroyers charging at me but suddenly the navigation screen showes the symbol of a sunk ship - Nelson battleship!!!!!!!!!!

The two torps must have hit Nelson with maximum effect sinking it almost instantly. The destroyers that are coming after me are to far off to really be a threat so I use the external camera to see what the taskforce consisted off;

can't find anything but 6 destroyers.

I sank the only capital ship in the taskforce with a lucky shot from hell.

Amazing. What a rush!!! And all happened in 12 minutes gametime http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

I played with all realistic except camera(which I don't use) and manual tdc.

Kuniworth
04-02-2005, 08:18 AM
Cant believe this.

I am the commander of VIIB sub u-54 and have had a brilliant career so far with 103,000 tons sunk. Now it's late march 1940 and u-54 been assigned to go to square BF15(southwest of the british isle) from wilhelmshaven. So I plot my course to travel around UK instead of through the channel and leave the port.

All is quiet until I come approxamatly 200 kilometers west of the orkney islands. So far no ship has been spotted but all of the sudden at 17.33 the watch officers cries "ship spotted" at 60 degress traveling fast to the east.

I can't see anything but the navigation map says TASKFORCE. Now my blood starts to rush, warships!! Finally I may get a chance to nail some big bugger.

So I count the distance to around 8000(?) meters. I am heading northwest and they are heading east at bearing 60 degrees. I realise this will be almost impossible to catch up with the taskforce but I immediately change course to northeast. A gamble with little chance of success.

I change course and can soon see smoke from 6-7 ships. They travel faster then me so all looks in vain - I cant catch them.

At 17.36 the watch officer cries out that the enemy has spotted us and opened fire. Shells are suddenly all around us and I realise it would be suicide to remain surfaced.

So I order a crash dive and then periscope depth.

up scope and what do I see? 6500 meters away I can recognize the Nelson battleship and some destroyers steeming away. Can't spot any carriers or other big ships... But even more disturbing; on the navigation map I can see that a destroyer is charging at my location maximum speed.

So I curse my bad luck when I finally stumble upon a taskforce but decides nontheless to send some torps against the Nelson Battleship. The weaponsofficer gives me a quick target solution and I fire three torps instantly.

At 17.39 two electric and one steam torpedoes are launched. I even forgot to open the tubes(got a little nervous with shells whistling past my periscope) and then I order a dive to 50 meters and silent running. Of course I have no hope that the torps would hit anything.

The destroyer is closing incredible fast and soon depth charges are in the water around me, but Im sneaking away safe to the east. My sonarman reports that other warships are closing fast, most likely destroyers. So I rig for silent running and 3 knots speed.

Then something incredible happen. At 17.45 sonar reports two torpedo hits! One must have missed but two did appearently hit something. I am sure it must be one of the destroyers charging at me but suddenly the navigation screen showes the symbol of a sunk ship - Nelson battleship!!!!!!!!!!

The two torps must have hit Nelson with maximum effect sinking it almost instantly. The destroyers that are coming after me are to far off to really be a threat so I use the external camera to see what the taskforce consisted off;

can't find anything but 6 destroyers.

I sank the only capital ship in the taskforce with a lucky shot from hell.

Amazing. What a rush!!! And all happened in 12 minutes gametime http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

I played with all realistic except camera(which I don't use) and manual tdc.

sp3irs
04-02-2005, 08:22 AM
Yeah but you did use the weapons officer to get the target solution though

RoughRaider1
04-02-2005, 08:51 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sp3irs:
Yeah but you did use the weapons officer to get the target solution though <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So what, there's nothing wrong with that. I've been doing all my solutions manually for the past several missions. Including plotting thier speed my marking their positions and timing, measuring and converting.
But then I tried using the weapons officer for a change. I was having fun just using him especially when dealing with convoys. Being that this is supposed to simulate having a crew and it's not being a one man sub, it's not so unrealistic to use the weapons officer. He might be a bit too fast with his calculations though.
I can work my own solutions myself which I feel every good capt should be able to do sometime. But I think it's ok to use the WO when you want because that's his job. But I do wish he took longer at least. And the longer you give him, the more accurate he would be.

durex2000
04-02-2005, 08:58 AM
what are your realism setttings ? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Spectre_USA
04-02-2005, 09:05 AM
Very cool story Kuniworth!

I have tried some snapshots in the 9 patrols I've undertaken,
but usually end up with total misses, duds, or high angle
hits that kill the torpedo. An experience to savor, be sure!

TeAcH
04-02-2005, 09:54 AM
Neat story. Sounds like it was fun.

The only thing I would want to illuminate is that IF you were playing on 100% realism where the WO makes split second, superhuman, uber-exact solutions then something obviously needs to be fixed.

Those of us who play on the hardset level and who want realism to mean realism have seen this happen over and over again and it kinds stinks a bit. He is dead on in 1 second flat even in the darkest of nights in the roughest of seas.

But back to your story, still way cool and I bet you were hooting and hollering after that strike!

Darnitz
04-02-2005, 11:01 AM
I wish he took longer too. I sometimes make my own calculations, then have the WO "verify" them http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

bootysnapper69
04-02-2005, 11:13 AM
please tell me what time compression you were at when you discovered the taskforce???

thanks in advance...

Johnny_JG2
04-02-2005, 11:13 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sp3irs:
Yeah but you did use the weapons officer to get the target solution though <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uhhh.. so what?

It isn't unrealistic to use the Weapons Officer- that's what they are onboard for in the first place. The Captain doesn't sail alone, he has a crew that is there to help him.

finchOU
04-02-2005, 11:55 AM
The WO would kill my game if I used him....that is my favorite part...manually getting all my imputs for the TDC so the Kills (or misses for that matter) are very gradifying....my WO is quickly going to get a Watch qual for next patrol, cause he is not used on my boat.....

Kuniworth
04-02-2005, 12:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bootysnapper69:
please tell me what time compression you were at when you discovered the taskforce???

thanks in advance... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Probably 1024.

Kuniworth
04-02-2005, 12:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TeAcH:
Neat story. Sounds like it was fun.

The only thing I would want to illuminate is that IF you were playing on 100% realism where the WO makes split second, superhuman, uber-exact solutions then something obviously needs to be fixed.

Those of us who play on the hardset level and who want realism to mean realism have seen this happen over and over again and it kinds stinks a bit. He is dead on in 1 second flat even in the darkest of nights in the roughest of seas.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes it's not realistic that the WO makes the solution to target in 1 second. Unless the game simulates that data is given to him simultaneuosly as you look thorugh the periscope.

Johnny_JG2
04-02-2005, 12:32 PM
I use the Weapons Officer, also. I understand that it is unrealistically fast at getting a solution.

I think that you should have to have your scope locked on a target for a given amount of time before he is able to refine it. The amount of time should be based on wheather, time of day, and distance.

Although I play with auto-TDC, I feel that I play very realistically. I always shoot from 5-600 meters wherever possible, and am observing and plotting the course of the target the entire time.

I would assume that the Captain is giving observation information the entire time while watching a given ship. By time you fired the torpedos, the weapons officer knew what direction the convoy was headed, how fast, and when you locked on to the captial ship, the captain gave it a range estimate. You gotta assume that the Captain is communicating this stuff the entire time.

I wouldn't let others diminish what you did. No shot is guaranteed in this game- with or without a weapons officer, from that range, you need some "help" from the other ships, and some luck.

How "realistic" is it, anyway, to not even be supplied necessary plotting tools to do the job- you know like protractors and stuff. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif I think it's realistic to have the ability to see accurate bearings and whatnot in the map screen.

StellarRat
04-02-2005, 03:44 PM
Actually, at 500 or 600 meters you can eyeball the shot without a solution. I do it all the time. It's the only way I can hit anything. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

dizeee
04-02-2005, 04:05 PM
there are loads of things in this game which needs heavy tweekage. the wo and the active megaprecise sonarman are just a few of them.
using the wo is like using aouto tdc. it just takes away so much from the sim.

im happy for you guys who enjoy this game this way tho. its good to have this crowd pleased too, but dont expect people playing this game for the sake of "reality", to applaude you.

tbh, it gets kinda anoying by now to read the constant "i sunk 80000 brt" last mission threads.

Black-Phoenix
04-02-2005, 06:51 PM
How pathetic, can't even post about how much fun he had without being told it all meant nothing because he didn't play to the highest standards. I'm sure none of you minimizing his success have done anything "unrealistic" like pausing the game or anything else while you make your "ultra hard manual TDCs", come on and lighten up. You can't slap someone in the face and then say good job after it either. Be nice for a change or don't bother posting a reply http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

farcry454853
04-02-2005, 07:43 PM
I cant beleive the first reply was about manual TDC!. For christs sake, it was a good shot, especially as he fired a steam, the ship could of evaded the torpedo as he did fire from quite a distance.

U-2323
04-02-2005, 07:52 PM
Nice story!! I also command U-54. I've had her since mid November 1939 and it is now April of 1943 and I've done 25 patrols, 23 of them with U-54. She seems to bring me a lot of luck as I have not yet been sunk once in my career. There have been some close calls though, but she always brings the crew and I home safely. Let me tell you, things do get a lot tougher down the road especially in 1943. Just out of curiosity, what conning tower insignia did you chose? My U-54 has the little white snail. (maybe that is whats so lucky?? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif)

Cragger
04-02-2005, 08:51 PM
Its not to diminish what happened but the fact that it isn't surprising that it did happen using the WO. Any angle, any speed, any course, any weather conditions he is dead on if you fire the torpedo the instant he responds to the command. 500m or 10km doesn't matter, if the torpedo can go that far and the ship doesn't change course it will hit.

First time I used the WO in campaign was when I poped the periscope up and saw destroyer headed away from me at 4500m. Had the tube open asked for solution and fired instantly everything taking less than 10 seconds. 6 minutes later the torpedo hit at over 6000m and sank the destroyer. If some random errors where throw into his solutions then it would be just as valid as doing it yourself but right now its just plain silly.

After that on the next patrol I used him as a test, 14 fish and 14 sunk ships later only using torpedos I've never used him again.

CRULL
04-02-2005, 09:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Black-Phoenix:
How pathetic, can't even post about how much fun he had without being told it all meant nothing because he didn't play to the highest standards. I'm sure none of you minimizing his success have done anything "unrealistic" like pausing the game or anything else while you make your "ultra hard manual TDCs", come on and lighten up. You can't slap someone in the face and then say good job after it either. Be nice for a change or don't bother posting a reply http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I totally agree.

The way some of you just don't get satisfaction unless finding fault is beyond belief.

mikifin666
04-02-2005, 09:39 PM
To the original poster * Three Cheers and a rum totty * !!!! You did a fantastic job commanding your sub.

To any fool would try to take away from that. Think for a second. WTF is the point of a weapons officer / watch officer / navigation officer if you think the commander did every thing himself ?

Infact micro management was ONE of the factors instrumental in Hitlers downfall.
Originally he was happy to use autonomous battlefield control ( theres a term for this but ive forgotten it ). The idea being that those suited to the job were able to dynamically adapt in the field to battle field conditions and make decisions. In the end he got so up himself that he thought he was a great millitary stratergist and no one would dare make an impacting decision without his consent.

History of course tells us that he should have stuck with being a commander not a micro manager.
PS* Churchill suffered the same delusions in micro management, but had strong enough advisors to tell him to naff off when needed *ps helps when you dont shoot / assinate them (rommel = a soldiers soldier).

PS. Im curious what role the weapons officer actually played in a WW2 sub. Was it simply weapons stores/management. Or was it simmialar to ships where they were incharge of fire control + everything else.

Nikodemus-LH
04-02-2005, 11:23 PM
I have read lots of books about ww2 submarines and memoirs

The executive officers job was shooting when surface and oversee shooting submerged(when captain made the actual choices and exec veriy the caluculations)
Exec was allso responsible of artillery. (deck gun and AA usage)
+ others stuff when captain sleeping/drinking/in bad mood

Mostly the captain just says "Exec shoot those big carhoships FAST!!" or some times just "give em hell"

I recomended every one to read Herbert A.Werners Iron Coffins.
It is written really well not like most memoirs

And those guys really had nerves of steel .Some times they had to make targeting solution when surfaced in middle of convoy at night, destroyers speeding towards them.

Kuniworth
04-02-2005, 11:58 PM
I seems like some people here thinks I'm bragging about the score.

Ofcourse I'm not, as I said in my first post, this was a lucky shot from hell. And that Nelson(or Rodney, there were two built of this class) sunk from two torps instead of steaming away was also pure luck.

Just wanted to share my war story with you guys. THis game can be quite amazing at times.

Sighting, artillery barrage, chrashdive, torpoedo lunch, sinking in just 12 minutes. Amazing.

JG11_BobCat
04-03-2005, 12:37 AM
This is a classic demonstration of why people are reluctant to post in forums. The guy tries to share a good story with us and it ends up in some kind of flame war....

Why bother?

BobCat

nvrsummer2
04-03-2005, 01:07 AM
Great shot Kuniworth!!! I hope everyone tells us of these great moments regardless of realism percentage. I got excited reading your story as most of my taskforce reports are way too far for me to catch..one of these days though!!!!!

TeAcH
04-03-2005, 01:44 AM
Yeah. No doubt a cool story. But some of you need to grow thicker skin. Dont be so darn sensitive. We liked his story. Just using it a little to illustrate a point in the game. A point that is spot on. The WO is too accurate too fast and you know it. Now, lets move on shall we?

BladeghostDev
04-03-2005, 01:51 AM
Be sure to have enough crew in the torp room also....http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Kpt_Zig
04-03-2005, 02:53 AM
My WO has missed plenty of shots in single missions I've played.

jay9999999
04-03-2005, 06:21 AM
I love reading about sucess stories like this, well done to the original poster. BRILLIANT sink !

bweiss
04-03-2005, 06:38 AM
Mine missed, and I made him ride the bridge with waves crashing over it.

Next time, he didn't miss... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif