PDA

View Full Version : Ki-43-la gunsight?!

Taishlong
12-07-2010, 05:04 AM
Hi guys, i've been playing il2 1946. and ive been flying the ki-43-la for wuite some time now...but im stil lnot sure about something.

WHAT THE HELL KIND OF GUNSIGHT IS THAT!?
You cant even see through it, from the side it looks like a telescope. is it pssible to look through this sight in the game?

Please reply

Xiolablu3
12-07-2010, 05:07 AM
Yes its a telescopic sight, of dubious use however and was discontinued on later models of aircraft. Many forces tried this on various planes.

There is a key to look down it, cant quite remember now, was it ctrl D? Probably not...

Erkki_M
12-07-2010, 05:28 AM
Toggle reticle dimmer is the button. I think its in the "misc buttons", down at the bottom.

Use "toggle gunsight view" to look closer and back. Default is shift+F1.

Bankoletti
12-07-2010, 06:22 AM
Use CTRL-D to uncover the caps.
Use SHIFT-F1 to toggle zooming through the sight and back out of it.

DKoor
12-07-2010, 10:14 AM
I still wonder WTH site is that... imagine pulling 4G and still glue yer eye to it... bah, I think after some time you just go on and shoot from experience without that complicated site which is probably only useful vs bombers.

Ba5tard5word
12-07-2010, 10:35 AM
Yeah those sites are annoying, when you're in a tough dogfight you need to be able to see all around the enemy plane so you can follow him as he jumps all over the place trying to get away from you, if you're looking through a small scope you'll lose him really fast. They basically make those early-war Japanese fighters useless, plus they take up a lot of your forward view so you can't even really shoot without the scope. The US Buffalo has a similar useless scope though it's set a bit lower so you can actually see where your bullets go, it's still crap though.

ytareh
12-07-2010, 11:09 AM
Dunno...I used love them ...it FEELS as if image is 'magnified' even though it isnt actually...

Bankoletti
12-07-2010, 01:57 PM
I don't find it that bad, it only takes a while to get used to. I have "Shift-F1" bind to one of the keys on my joystick, so I can toggle sniper vision instantly and frequently without searching for a combination of keys on a keyboard in a middle of a dogfight.

It really is great for bombers, you can snipe their fuel tanks, engines or turrets (blenheim one is especially nice target http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ) easily from far away. It's also great for deflection shooting, you can walk your bullets all the way from the nose to the tail of anyone silly enough to try turning with an Oscar.

But it can be a frustrating hindrance if you don't bind the shift-F1 view to a single, easily accessible key.

Besides, Ki-43-Ia is a plane that thought me a lot about vulnerability of many enemy planes. You can discharge all your ammo into hellcat for example without downing it. But if you manage to snipe just a few of those small calibre bullets into a straight flying hellcat's wingroot, it will turn into a torch in no time. Interestingly, it's always the right wingroot that catches fire regardles of which wingroot you are shooting into, never the left.

The same goes for Blenheims - MkI has fuel tanks only between the engines and fuselage, MkIV has them outboard of engines too. Easily flammable. B-25s also have extremely flammable fuel tanks only on the inner portion of the wings, but the job here is much more risky due to numerous .50 cals defending the fort. You only need a couple bullets home tho.

Bottom line - knowing where to shoot is the key.

JSG72
12-07-2010, 03:27 PM
I fly "Gunsight view" all the time! With "Cockpit view" only. I also use "Snap" view on the Hat to track enemy(sometimes?)
That floaty gunsite reticule on normal view does my head in. Of course I lose many a target plane and you have to Snap down to check instruments. (I also use the"Speed Bar".
But hey! It is better than flying "Ace in a day." missions against AI.

Guess TrackIR would be the ultimate. but seeing as I cannot fly "Full Real" . I don't feel it's much required.

Romanator21
12-07-2010, 06:22 PM
I don't think in real life it was very easy to shoot during a 4G turn regardless of the sight being used. It's a lot easier to make accurate high-G deflection shots in a sim where you don't feel any forces on your body.

One day I was surprised to find I was pulling no less than 2Gs in what I thought were very light banks when flying/landing the P-47. 2G isn't a lot, but it will make you uncomfortable, and you will naturally avoid it, especially in the traffic pattern where pulling them is unnecessary. Now pulling 4 or more Gs and shooting accurately? Don't count on it unless you are very experienced and comfortable with the sensation. That's partly why most kills were of the "straight and level" variety.

Back to the topic, a telescopic sight would be very useful for sniping a plane that hasn't seen you yet (a rare occurrence online, and an impossible one offline).

In any case, I enjoy flying with it. I have gunsight view "shift-F1" bound to a hat switch so I can lean forward with my thumb, while my finger is on the trigger http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif . I also have reticule dimmer set to "D" instead of "CTRL D". I use the latter command for "attach and detach aircraft".

ROXunreal
12-07-2010, 06:47 PM
As far as in-game goes, it's not that bad when you get on someone's six. Usually the planes fitted with it are very poorly armed and its great for seeing where your hits are landing, as well as hitting critical parts of the target. It pretty much sucks for anything else though, especially deflection of course, and because of the great SA hindrance...

LEBillfish
12-07-2010, 08:10 PM
use the full zoom in normal view to see how it looks with your other eye open.

K2