PDA

View Full Version : Dive Speed and Structural Integrity

megalopsuche
10-27-2009, 10:36 AM
Despite all of the complaints about favoritism toward Russian aircraft in Il-2, it is very clear to me that they are inferior to the American and German aircraft in their tendency to break apart at high speed, even without sustaining g's. I've experienced this effect in both the Yak and La series.

Has anyone tested the maximum safe dive speeds for the various Russian aircraft in Il-2? I know there are hundreds of links to different Il-2 sites, but would appreciate some help in finding one with this specific information.

Thank you.

JG53Frankyboy
10-27-2009, 10:38 AM
get il2compare.
the max divespeed for most soviet fighters is indeed low...........

idonno
10-27-2009, 10:40 AM
Or HardBall's Aircraft Viewer for 4.08.

http://mission4today.com/index...&file=details&id=325 (http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&file=details&id=325)

megalopsuche
10-27-2009, 10:47 AM
Thanks!

TinyTim
10-27-2009, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by megalopsuche:
Despite all of the complaints about favoritism toward Russian aircraft in Il-2...

In my experience this moaning comes nearly exclusively from people who never fly Russian fighters, always only against them, and thus become blind for their own major advantages - like better high-alt performance and dive speed. That's why their opinion isn't worth a nickle.

Back on topic - an all metal Yak-3 VK-107 is an excellent diver, more than 900kph enables it to outdive a mustang. Late Yaks are fairly good divers too (about 800kph), yet still not a match for contemporary german fighters. La-s and early yaks with their 700kph are even worse. Yak-9U's considerably better VNE is one of major reasons I prefer it over the La-7.

Ba5tard5word
10-27-2009, 11:09 AM
Once I was in a LaGG-3, saw some enemy fighters and entered into a shallow dive, and my wing popped off at about 580 kph. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

doraemil
10-27-2009, 01:13 PM
I remember some weeks ago I was diving to escape a P-38 (I know) , around 540 km and my wings ripped off, and thought the F4 had weak dive capability but as I bailed out I saw the P-47 climbing back up, while the 38 was still nosing towards the ground.

Naughty jug. I swore I could hear the P-38 pilots screaming kill steal lol. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by TinyTim:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by megalopsuche:
Despite all of the complaints about favoritism toward Russian aircraft in Il-2...

In my experience this moaning comes nearly exclusively from people who never fly Russian fighters, always only against them, and thus become blind for their own major advantages - like better high-alt performance and dive speed. That's why their opinion isn't worth a nickle.

Back on topic - an all metal Yak-3 VK-107 is an excellent diver, more than 900kph enables it to outdive a mustang. Late Yaks are fairly good divers too (about 800kph), yet still not a match for contemporary german fighters. La-s and early yaks with their 700kph are even worse. Yak-9U's considerably better VNE is one of major reasons I prefer it over the La-7. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes.

Alot of this has to do with online, most engagements are TnB and at 3000m or lower, which really favors most of the VVS line up and the strengths of their planes.

Also the VVS armaments rate of fire is alot higher (but you exhaust ammo quicker). Strafe funs in IL-2 on lined up targets generally have more hits than strafe runs in say a BF-109.

I have seen other posts mentioned there are historical reasoning for the difference in armament. I wouldn't know, I haven't done extensive research in that area.

I have some some really good pilots do things like regularly shoot down yak 3 or la 7's while flying a 109E or spit mk V. So alot of it depents on situation and skill factors and flying best for your plane and downplaying your opponent plane's best strenghts.

Daiichidoku
10-27-2009, 01:26 PM
all pretty moot until (hopefully) Team Daidalos addresses compressability/critical mach for all types in FB for patch 5.0

everyone but P-38 and B1 rocket drivers have had a free pass in this regard and are spoiled beyond belief