PDA

View Full Version : Crew rest - question

flyinj
03-18-2005, 01:39 PM
I have a question regarding crew rest-

I know crew rest is frozen in anything higher than 32x time compression. The problem is, it doesn't seem like any of my crew that are in their quarters are getting any rest at all when I'm above 32x.

Do I have to sit there at 32x time compression and wait for my sleeping crew to revive stamina for 8 hours?

flyinj
03-18-2005, 01:39 PM
I have a question regarding crew rest-

I know crew rest is frozen in anything higher than 32x time compression. The problem is, it doesn't seem like any of my crew that are in their quarters are getting any rest at all when I'm above 32x.

Do I have to sit there at 32x time compression and wait for my sleeping crew to revive stamina for 8 hours?

quillan
03-18-2005, 02:09 PM
Basically, yes. You have to spend enough time at 1x-32x compression to allow them to rest. During this time, those not in their quarters will be getting tired. I've sat at 32x compression on the crew screen, and watched it. If you have a petty officer who is medically qualified, put him in the quarters, he'll make it more efficient.

flyinj
03-18-2005, 02:14 PM
This seems almost like a catch-22 question though. I can put 2 officers with 75% fatigue in their bunks, but that's it. There is only room for 2 officers to rest at a time. As I'm sitting there at 32x speed, the other officers are getting exhuasted. By the time I have 2 officers at 0% fatigue, my other 4 are at 60% fatigue. Then I can only rest 2 more, then when those two are rested with 0% fatigue, 2 of my officers are at 60% fatigue and the other two are at 80-100%!

This eventually results in 4 of my officers being totally exhausted at all times.

dekree99
03-18-2005, 02:34 PM
fatigue is one thing I would LOVE to have a setting on realism. Would be nice to not have to worry about this part of crew management while learning other areas of the game, but theres no option for auto rest http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif

quillan
03-18-2005, 02:38 PM
I agree with you, Flyinj. The officer's quarters seem to be missing from the boat. You should be forced to maintain one officer in the command room at all times, but the others should be able to rest if need be. Heck, even one more slot would let you rest 3 of the 5. Can anyone confirm the number of officers on the other U-boat types? All I've used so far is the VIIB.

WFLZ
03-18-2005, 02:40 PM
Try to rotate your crew when their endurance drops to 25%, especially in cruising situations. You don't need a weapon officer when cruising, so rotate your officers so 1 or 2 are always in quarters. There's also no need to have crew in the torpedo rooms while cruising. The game will keep a couple crew in the elctric motor room while on the surface, or in the diesels while underwater. Put those guys to bed too. It's micromanagement, but you don't have to do it that often, I rotate guys about every 4 hours and my crew stays fresh.

archer49d
03-18-2005, 03:12 PM
Whats funny is that the guys in the control room have ridiculous endurance, I once got through a 10 day patrol without the planesmen needing any rest. Personally there should be "crew saves" so you can set "Crusing Crew A" and "Cruising Crew B" have them swap every 24 hours just like a real watch.

flyinj
03-18-2005, 03:39 PM
Does anyone feel like they're managing a city in Civ2 while playing this game? I certainly do.

vodkaphile
03-18-2005, 04:42 PM
running a sub aint easy:P

Dominicrigg
03-18-2005, 04:49 PM
I do it differently, i have a full crew (max amount of each type) and i dont bother with them at all, i set the watch and the engine room and command room, and leave the rest.

On full time speed, no one gets tired (As it manages them resting and changing shift for you, very cool i think).

Then when i get into a fight i start to worry about them afterwards. When you have finished the encounter, or are underwater hiding from the payback, check the crew screen. Then move the tired ones and your important watch guys ect to sleep. When you have escaped ect then put them back on watch and off you go in full speed.

There will always be tired ones (As real life) but you dont need to worry about them, i use some as the workhorses when it doesnt matter, and keep my "funky" crewmen in tip top condition. I have never had them below 50% even!

Hope that helps a bit. If i have time away from the game im going to write some hints for my website. I will let you know if i do!

vodkaphile
03-18-2005, 04:53 PM
I'd love to be able to have different shift saves.