PDA

View Full Version : Changing Control Scheme

HawkeSolaris
10-12-2019, 08:07 PM
I know this has been mentioned many times in the past and the response has always been along the lines of "We'll forward this to the devs" but... is there any update on whether or not we will be able to change the controls schemes to our liking?

Personally I find the "tank" gameplay perfectly fine as it plays like an FPS, but flying feels really strange to me and I really want to be able to change the controls to suit the gameplay better. Things like swapping the left and right analog functions to match almost every other flying game that has the left analog stick to control your turning and the right analog stick to control the speed. Also moving the boost button to one of the bumpers would feel much better so you can boost AND turn at the same time which is currently almost impossible given to press the A button AND move the analog stick requires fingers akin to a spider. But swapping analog sticks as a bare minimum is an absolute MUST for me. The rest I could live with, but the turning and speed controls on either stick swapped is so important.

The (in my opinion) poorly mapped controls made the game difficult to play from the get go since the first few minutes are flying in space. The tank controls of the ground are perfectly fine and I have no problems, it's purely the flying controls that I desperately want to change to feel more intuitive and make the game enjoyable.

Please, Ubisoft, please give us the option. This would make the game so much more playable. I understand things take time and they need to go through QA and approval... and probably need to be done for EVERY platform as well (save maybe the PC?) and every platform owner (Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony) will need to give their own individual approvals... I understand it'll take time. But could you please at least confirm this is being worked on? It would mean so much to me to have hope that this one day will be implemented and I can fully enjoy the game.

Auld_Jack
10-13-2019, 01:37 AM
moving the boost button to one of the bumpers would feel much better so you can boost AND turn at the same time
This part was done almost six months ago in the Crimson Moon update. You can swap the A and R buttons.

Be aware, however, that Outlaw racing always uses R for boost and A for tricks, regardless of which way you choose to set the A/R swap.

HawkeSolaris
10-14-2019, 12:24 AM
This part was done almost six months ago in the Crimson Moon update. You can swap the A and R buttons.

Be aware, however, that Outlaw racing always uses R for boost and A for tricks, regardless of which way you choose to set the A/R swap.

I am really happy to stand corrected on that one, my apologies! :)

Still though, the option to swap the two analog stick functions would make this game so much better for flying, because I'm so used to using the left thumb to control direction on flying games, with the right stick being used to control speeds. If that option was added in, this game would be so perfect. And it's such a good game so far. The title screen showing when you blast off back into space was such a nice touch, but flying around feels so difficult currently. Maybe I just need to get used to the controls, but it goes against everything I've ever played and the option to change just that one aspect of the controls is all I need to come back and really start loving this game.

UbiDork
10-17-2019, 04:51 AM
Auld_Jack: Thanks for providing that insight, Auld_Jack! I appreciate your assistance here!

HawkeSolaris I definitely hear this feedback and thank you for it! I'll share this suggestion with our game development team for consideration on changing those analog stick functions! I truly hope you're able to enjoy the game and still have fun!

HawkeSolaris
10-17-2019, 05:47 PM
Auld_Jack: Thanks for providing that insight, Auld_Jack! I appreciate your assistance here!

HawkeSolaris I definitely hear this feedback and thank you for it! I'll share this suggestion with our game development team for consideration on changing those analog stick functions! I truly hope you're able to enjoy the game and still have fun!

Hi UbiDork!

I'll be honest, I can only have fun whilst moving around on the ground currently. The flying controls just feel so alien with the analog functions reversed, as it goes against every other game I've ever played for flying where the left analog stick controls the steering whilst the right analog stick controls your speed (push up to accelerate, pull back to decelerate). I'm so used to that setup that it feels so wrong for me to fly around in this game which is a massive disappointment for me because flying around in an Arwing in this game is like a dream come true ESPECIALLY as my favourite pilot, Falco.
I mostly now get around it by engaging enemies in space as if I'm in a tank- sit still and control the ship as a tank in-flight FPS-style which to me goes against the very idea of having a dogfight in space. It's a glaring flaw in the game that prevents me from enjoying that one element of the game! I do hope an easy fix can be introduced very soon. Please keep us updated on any responses the developers are permitted to give :)

UbiDork
10-17-2019, 11:57 PM
HawkeSolaris: Sure thing! Thanks for that insight, I really appreciate hearing the game from your point of view!

janekorss
10-31-2019, 09:47 AM
Cool game, but with the settings you got excited ...

HawkeSolaris
11-02-2019, 12:30 AM
Cool game, but with the settings you got excited ...

Agreed. Here's hoping for something very soon!

Ubi-Woofer
11-04-2019, 02:46 PM
Should any further accessibility / control updates be made in Starlink, we'll be sure to announce the changes here on the forums and on our official website (https://starlink.ubisoft.com/game/en-gb/home) for the game.

Thank you all for taking the time to share your suggestions and feedback with regard to the game - it's great to see your enthusiasm and support :)

HawkeSolaris
12-15-2019, 05:33 PM
Should any further accessibility / control updates be made in Starlink, we'll be sure to announce the changes here on the forums and on our official website (https://starlink.ubisoft.com/game/en-gb/home) for the game.

Thank you all for taking the time to share your suggestions and feedback with regard to the game - it's great to see your enthusiasm and support :)

Thanks for replying Woofer!

Still awaiting any news however... haven't been able to play the game because I personally find the controls for flying too foreign to every other flying game :(

Don't suppose you're aware of any chance that a developer could look into this and release it as a Christmas present?

Auld_Jack
04-16-2020, 04:03 PM
The new revision to the Switch console software -- 10.0.0 -- includes the ability to remap all of the controls. I'm unclear as to whether you can remap across Joycons (to swap L-Joycon stick and R-Joycon stick), but you can definitely swap them on the Pro Controller.

Please note that this will affect all games, but there is an ability to save and recall five different configurations.

Ubi-Viral
05-14-2020, 03:50 PM
The new revision to the Switch console software -- 10.0.0 -- includes the ability to remap all of the controls. I'm unclear as to whether you can remap across Joycons (to swap L-Joycon stick and R-Joycon stick), but you can definitely swap them on the Pro Controller.

Please note that this will affect all games, but there is an ability to save and recall five different configurations.

Thank you for providing this information! This is great news :)