PDA

View Full Version : PC geeks help explain

Angel Fire
12-12-2008, 06:53 AM
Well here goes. I have 2 PC for different reasons that are mine, have 5 operational PC in the house. Well the other day I did the update to XP for service pack 3 that is out on both my PC. No problem on any of the machines except my second PC. After the update I could not access the internet - play any tunes on the Player unless I left the error msg on the screen. When I attempted to fix XP the system told me that the HHD was corrupted. OK so I will just get a new HHD. BUT I had a inspirational idea, since my daughter got a new PC I would use her old unit but I needed a HHD for it, so I used the one that was SUPPOSE TO BE CORRUPTED. Well the dang thing worked fine in her old box. So could it be the MB in the box that it was in? Any thoughts on this one???

pinkcar36
12-12-2008, 01:50 PM
Hey Angel,
I have found that memory can cause all kinds of problems. I once load a new xp operating system 3 times and every time it had issues. I replaced the memory and every thing was fine. Also check the memory timing in the bios, if it is set wrong for that type of memory or processor it will give you the same type of errors.

Angel Fire
12-13-2008, 06:25 AM
Thanks Pink, that was my second thought. This would mean that the memory has been bad for some time as we have had problems with this system form day one. Guy that built it for my daughter just could not understand what the problem was.

pinkcar36
12-13-2008, 06:46 AM
My second suggestion would be to flash the bios, most of the Motherboards are released before the soft ware for them are finalized. If you know how its a breeze, If not you need to make a start up floppy or CD with the new bios and the _ correct_ flash on it. The new bios show problem fixes on the Motherboard site.

pinkcar36
12-17-2008, 09:36 AM
hope that everything worked out!!!! and that was my husband that gave you the advice!!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif