PDA

View Full Version : Where Are Best "Sweet Spots" on Map for Hunting?

MikeOster
03-24-2010, 11:08 AM
I have SH3 with GWX 3.0 add on. In the stock SH3 game I knew where several "sweet spots" were, for instance AM51 and Am 52, BF13,15 and 17. There was also the "Caribbean Tanker Hunting Grounds", as well as Moored Capital ships which someone was kind enough to compile in a spoiler list for these forums years ago. I have only recently gotten back into the game and have noticed some changes with GWX 3.0 but so far two of my best old haunts are pretty much as I remembered them. Freetown However, was NOT as I remembered, I had terrible results versus the old stock SH3. Does Grey Wolves change the shipping lanes? Is there a thread that explains this? I have read a fair amount about the real shipping lanes used in the war and GWX provides a pull-down map showing both individual and convoy shipping routes. Yet my trip to Freetown revealed no contacts going to or coming from there and only two convoys while I patrolled. If GWX makes things more realistic, then certain routes such as the Murmansk route shouldn't be worth bothering with until historically active- is this the case? Anyone have some good "B-Dienst" intell?

MikeOster
03-24-2010, 11:08 AM
I have SH3 with GWX 3.0 add on. In the stock SH3 game I knew where several "sweet spots" were, for instance AM51 and Am 52, BF13,15 and 17. There was also the "Caribbean Tanker Hunting Grounds", as well as Moored Capital ships which someone was kind enough to compile in a spoiler list for these forums years ago. I have only recently gotten back into the game and have noticed some changes with GWX 3.0 but so far two of my best old haunts are pretty much as I remembered them. Freetown However, was NOT as I remembered, I had terrible results versus the old stock SH3. Does Grey Wolves change the shipping lanes? Is there a thread that explains this? I have read a fair amount about the real shipping lanes used in the war and GWX provides a pull-down map showing both individual and convoy shipping routes. Yet my trip to Freetown revealed no contacts going to or coming from there and only two convoys while I patrolled. If GWX makes things more realistic, then certain routes such as the Murmansk route shouldn't be worth bothering with until historically active- is this the case? Anyone have some good "B-Dienst" intell?

Foehammer-1
03-24-2010, 06:57 PM
Murmansk / Arhangelsk convoys still happen in GWX. Beware, they are well-defended, as in real life.

Not sure of Freetown. I have a feeling that GWX devs have used "Steel Boat, Iron Hearts" book for a few references, as well as Iron Coffins. Well, in Steel Boat, U505 has had pretty rotten luck out there. That's not saying other boats did too...

Maybe you have had just bad luck too?

And sorry, I got no resources besides the GWX manual

SeamanStaines
03-25-2010, 02:11 AM
New York, New York.
just cruise on in, watch out for the 1 sub net (between the gun turrets on either side of the bank at the narrow part) which is the only protection in town.
Might be the odd torpedoboat which isnt going to do anything if you're submerged...and it'll end up running aground at some point anyways. No armed trawlers, destroyers or anything...just 1 nasty scary sub net is your enemy.

Take your time blowing all the 14,000+ ton ships up, nobody cares you're there.

Not exactly challenging, but i was impressed that manhatten, statue of libety, bridges etc are modelled

HW3
03-25-2010, 03:24 AM
There should be convoys running on either side of the islands in grid EJ. Also there should be single merchants coming to Freetown from the Southwest.

MikeOster
03-25-2010, 06:04 AM
Was that New York intell you provided from SH3 with GWX 3.0, or just the stock SH3 SeamanStaines? HW3 I didn't go south past Freetown,however I didn't encounter a single ship or convoy on the way there from France which, according to in-game pull-down map should not have been a problem. Based on your review I will try again and push on southward of Freetown. Thanks everyone for all your input and thanks Foehammer for mentioning "Steel Boat, Iron Hearts". I'm always on the lookout for books I haven't read yet on the U Boats. I have "Iron Coffins" and Cremer's book and I'm always looking to add more.

HW3
03-25-2010, 03:44 PM
Remember, the in-game map is the stock game map, not a GWX map. Use it as a guide to get you in the general area of shipping. GWX moves the lanes based on the time of year just like they did during the war. The convoys also do not sail in straight lines but will zig and zag across the ocean. Good luck

SeamanStaines
03-26-2010, 03:39 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MikeOster:
Was that New York intell you provided from SH3 with GWX 3.0, or just the stock SH3 SeamanStaines? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

gwx3

gets a bit boring after awhile, as its always the same. everytime u enter the harbour, theres a ceramic liner cruising out of it...easy 12K tonnes. inside the harbour theres always a large troop ship docked on liberty island. always a new orleans class warship parked in the same place, another ceramic liner at the end of the river etc.

only trick is getting over the sub net, make sure u do it in cloudy weather or at midnight...the shore guns have nailed me several times http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Kaleun1961
03-26-2010, 08:33 AM
What do you mean by a "ceramic" liner? I've never heard of such a thing. Are you confusing the term with the word "generic?" I'm guessing that's what you mean, ie just another "no name" liner.

Foehammer-1
03-26-2010, 10:15 AM
I believe he is talking about the Ceramic-class freighter (or liner, cant remember which)

http://www.uboat.net/allies/merchants/ships/2496.html

PhantomKira
03-28-2010, 11:58 AM
I've run into them in GWX 3. In my experience, they are indeed "ceramic". One torp and "BOOM!", down it goes for around 14,000 tons. Gotta watch their guns though. They have large numbers of small caliber weapons that look pretty at long range, but do a lot of damage once they find the boat. I once encountered one in the middle of a very black night just off the New Jersey coast and attempted to engage at long range with the 105mm. Due to the distance, I had a horrible time getting good shots, but their smaller weapons eventually found the range and drove me under.

Kaleun1961
03-28-2010, 05:03 PM
It's interesting to read that the real ship took five torpedoes before she sank. It must be hell for modders who try to simulate the vagaries of real life experience into this game. They certainly must tire of hearing, "Wah! I didn't get a 100K patrol!" http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif

Edit: That's the first time I have ever used the "crying" emoticon.

Irishseadog
04-05-2010, 02:16 PM
Gibraltar dude,always a Nelson class BB and 2 light and 1 heavy criuser,oh did I forget to mention,bring a ton of torpedos(you will need them for the swarm of DDs that want to mess you up)no place better if you survive.