PDA

View Full Version : IL2 FB BOB can they do it?

XyZspineZyX
10-11-2003, 10:38 AM
The thing with the Forgotten Battles and IL2 was it was different, it brought to the gaming arena a period in time and Russian setting that had up until then had been generally ignored of any flight sim games.... It also introduced us to some new and visually exciting aircraft like the TB3, Laggs, Yaks, Migs and PE8 previously never really heard about in the western hemisphere.
It was designed and built in the country of the Games origin, by people having worked in the Aviation Industry and having been brought up i would presume on the WW2 History of that region.

With the Battle Of Britain this will not been the case and the new game will be up against some stiff competition being just another European WW2 war sim amongst a pletheral of other such sims, both being released and already on a crowded marketplace.

Whilst I applaud Maddox for going ahead with such an ambitious task, I do wonder if they will have the expertise and understanding of the British and German Psychi to bring this off and produce a simulator that will immerse one into the game with such an effect that IL2 does.

What do you think?

Message Edited on 10/11/0309:38AM by Taylortony

XyZspineZyX
10-11-2003, 10:38 AM
The thing with the Forgotten Battles and IL2 was it was different, it brought to the gaming arena a period in time and Russian setting that had up until then had been generally ignored of any flight sim games.... It also introduced us to some new and visually exciting aircraft like the TB3, Laggs, Yaks, Migs and PE8 previously never really heard about in the western hemisphere.
It was designed and built in the country of the Games origin, by people having worked in the Aviation Industry and having been brought up i would presume on the WW2 History of that region.

With the Battle Of Britain this will not been the case and the new game will be up against some stiff competition being just another European WW2 war sim amongst a pletheral of other such sims, both being released and already on a crowded marketplace.

Whilst I applaud Maddox for going ahead with such an ambitious task, I do wonder if they will have the expertise and understanding of the British and German Psychi to bring this off and produce a simulator that will immerse one into the game with such an effect that IL2 does.

What do you think?

Message Edited on 10/11/0309:38AM by Taylortony

XyZspineZyX
10-11-2003, 11:00 AM
I think that yes, they can do it. It's a fast developing market with a rapid turnover of both technology and consumers. Look at how Microsoft sell Flight Simulator all over again every two years. Oleg is pitching a quantum leap forward in accuracy, complexity and scope. That will be the USP.

I don't think the developers not being British or German will hurt. It's such an exhaustively researched topic, it will be easier to gather data and information on the battles and the plane stock. And Oleg's got the likes of Ian Boys on board, keepin' it real :-)

BoB will sell shedloads in the United Kingdom. It will have a recognition factor that will make it a much easier sell to the casual gamer than something called with almost perverse and wilful obscurity 'Forgotten Battles'. And the already converted and serious simmers will buy it anyway, whatever the theatre.

In sum, I think it is a safe commercial proposition which will, I hope, provide a platform for more niche ventures later.

Taylortony wrote:
- The thing with the Forgotten Battles and IL2 was it
- was different, it brought to the gaming arena a
- period in time and Russian setting that had up until
- then had been generally ignored of any flight sim
- games.... It also introduced us to some new and
- visually exciting aircraft like the TB3, Laggs,
- Yaks, Migs and PE8 previously never really heard
- about in the western hemisphere.
- It was designed and built in the country of the
- Games origin, by people having worked in the
- Aviation Industry and having been brought up i would
- presume on the WW2 History of that region.
-
- With the Battle Of Britain this will not been the
- case and the new game will be up against some stiff
- competition being just another European WW2 war sim
- amongst a pletheral of other such sims, both being
- released and already on a crowded marketplace.
-
- Whilst I applaud Maddox for going ahead with such
- an ambitious task, I do wonder if they will have the
- expertise and understanding of the British and
- German Psychi to bring this off and produce a
- simulator that will immerse one into the game with
- such an effect that IL2 does.
-
- What do you think?
-
-
-
- Message Edited on 10/11/03 09:38AM by
- Taylortony

XyZspineZyX
10-11-2003, 11:07 AM
I think Olegs team are the only ones that have any chance if doing it well, if IL-2 & FB are anything to go by.

I keep reading about "It's been done before, how about something new?. Well for me, it's THANK GOD a developer of Olegs quality has finally got a hold of the concept to re-produce the most famous air battle in history for PC. Olegs team has earned the rightful respect and trust of the WWII flight sim community, to produce a very high quality flight sim product, regardless of what period or theatre it should relate to.

I personally can't wait to see the final product and would be willing to purchase a major upgrade in hardware if it should be required to run the game at its highest level of graphical quality. I can't wait to defend England against the Luftwaffe in the new sim.

Cheers, /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

CrazySchmidt.

(Have been here from the beginning, will be here till the end)

XyZspineZyX
10-11-2003, 11:19 AM
I think Taylortony that you have a very good point as to why this sim might not be as good as I thought it could.

mmm

XyZspineZyX
10-11-2003, 01:05 PM
I have a feeling they will suprise us with this one. I didn't even know that the Italians had participated in the Battle of Britain to the extent that they did until just recently. Perhaps Ubi will take a different approach to covering BOB than what we are used to seeing. From what i've read the Italians had some pretty interesting planes during this time period. So what if other games cover it, none of them come even close to il2/fb. I think it will be awesome, and anything Oleg and co. produce i will purchase without question.

Tally ho!

Major Troz

http://home.alltel.net/dhasso/Pics/bannerwork1f.jpg

XyZspineZyX
10-11-2003, 03:09 PM
Taylortony::
-- expertise and understanding of the British and German Psychi

expertise? /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif You mean will Oleg have Compassion and Tolerance for the British and German computer gamer?

Forget them. If they look bad the French will buy it. Oleg can't lose. Oleg's got it all sewn up. And over here in Region 1 we will snap up the CDs because with the P~61 Black Widow we can finally sim the night fighter part of BoB and the P~51H to wipe the fascist invaders from the sky along with those Spits getting in the way. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

XyZspineZyX
10-11-2003, 05:33 PM
I agree Taylortoni: one of the strong points of IL2 and FB was the representation of a very exotic scenario: who would have imagined years ago to be able to fight a campaign under Finnish or Hungarian colours? BoB is great, yes, but it has a very linear development, it has been done before and most aviation aficionados know it only too well (expect a lot of whining about points that might not be realistic - i.e. will you really have to fly in vics if you fight with Fighter Command?).

The possible disappointment as I see it is that the Channel might feel a bit "claustrophobic" after the great plains of Eastern Europe and the wide expanse of the Baltic...

On the other hand I might be able to strafe the neighbours's house extension... /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
10-11-2003, 06:49 PM
SUPERAEREO wrote:
- I agree Taylortoni: one of the strong points of IL2
- and FB was the representation of a very exotic
- scenario: who would have imagined years ago to be
- able to fight a campaign under Finnish or Hungarian
- colours? BoB is great, yes, but it has a very linear
- development, it has been done before and most
- aviation aficionados know it only too well (expect a
- lot of whining about points that might not be
- realistic - i.e. will you really have to fly in vics
- if you fight with Fighter Command?).
-
- The possible disappointment as I see it is that the
- Channel might feel a bit "claustrophobic" after the
- great plains of Eastern Europe and the wide expanse
- of the Baltic...

I like your word "claustrophobic" to explain how feel limit to BOB area as I strong recommand that we have "battle for Poland", "Sitzkreig", and "Batle for France". Maybe it will be Add-on soon or may add if we demand them add to BOB. Again, I like your open-mind and open space as I enjoy play FAF, and RHAF.

Regards
SnowLeopard

XyZspineZyX
10-11-2003, 07:03 PM
I think the main reason behind limiting it to "just" the Battle of Britain is the making of a new engine. I think after the experiences with Il-2 and FB (which grew far beyond anything that was planned when the engine was programmed) they want to do it step by step - get the fundament right and then add further campaigns, planes and features ...

---------------------------
http://home.t-online.de/home/340045970094-0001/lwskins_banner_gross.jpg (http://www.lwskins.de.vu)
Historical Skins for Luftwaffe-Fighters