PDA

View Full Version : Looking for help on 'how to' Overclock my setup.It has the spec. I just need info ;)

Mysticpuma2003
01-29-2008, 05:37 AM
Running

Asus P5n32E-Sli
OCZ PC-8500 5-5-5-15
Intel Quad 6600 with G0 stepping (latest version)
Artic Freezer Pro
2x BFG 8800 GTS 512mb (G92) cards
Thermaltake Toughpower 1000Watt PSU
All inside an Antec Nine Hundred Case

I am not really looking to go for massive clock speeds, but would like to get the 6600 upto 3Ghz.

I assuming this will be possible ( I know all chips are different) as the G0 stepping version runs much cooler than previous 6600 chips, and I have read of a lot of users reaching 3.6GHz with just air cooling.

I bought the mobo. with the intention of one day OC it, and I feel now is the time.

So I'm looking for some websites, that cater for the novice, to see if I can get the basics behind me and start increasing the clock speed.

At the moment I am only looking at CPU, but will then move onto the Graphics cards down the line.

Thanks for any advice, cheers, MP.

GoToAway
01-29-2008, 05:45 AM
Go into the BIOS (refer to your board manual for specifics. It's been years since I've used an Asus board, but I think the entry key is del. I'm also pretty sure there's a specific CPU tab (or at least there used to be.))

Start changing the multiplier or FSB frequency.
Thoroughly test each change (Prime95 is an excellent CPU stress test. 12-24 hours of a Prime 95 stress test is pretty much a surefire way to ID any potential stability issues.)

Once you've encountered the setting that induces system instability (or a temperature that you are uncomfortable with,) throttle back to the last stable one.

That's about all there is to it. Hasn't changed much over the past 15 years.

Oh. And when changing the multiplier, be aware that multiplier * FSB frequency = core frequency.

Urufu_Shinjiro
01-29-2008, 05:49 AM
Check out www.overclock.net (http://www.overclock.net) great place for OC advice, lots of FAQs, etc.