PDA

View Full Version : What does Forceshaders1x do?

JG51Beolke
11-01-2004, 05:38 PM
Just curious. I was looking around in the conf.ini. I did turn it on and it made the water look more realistic. Maybe I just answered my question though. Is this it's purpose. Is it supposed to be turned on when you have a high end card to make use of the advanced functions? I have water=1 already and the water looks great. I also noticed an increase in fps with it on.

Thanks in advance

JG51Beolke
11-01-2004, 05:38 PM
Just curious. I was looking around in the conf.ini. I did turn it on and it made the water look more realistic. Maybe I just answered my question though. Is this it's purpose. Is it supposed to be turned on when you have a high end card to make use of the advanced functions? I have water=1 already and the water looks great. I also noticed an increase in fps with it on.

Thanks in advance

TX-WarHawk
11-01-2004, 05:44 PM
I got a weird looking water with it on, but I'm curious too.

Hunter82
11-01-2004, 06:24 PM
forces the use of older pixel shader tech for older cards geforce 3 series etc. really should not be used on cards 9700 and up that support PS 2.0.

Hey if it helps some people use it....buyer beware though as it may have the opposite effect as many have found out.

JG51Beolke
11-01-2004, 06:55 PM
Thanks Hunter. With my x800, it casts far cloud shadows and give the ocean a more realistic glare from the lighting. To me, it actually makes it look more realistic. The ocean still retains it's water=1 properties as well as the far shadows from clouds and glare.

VW-IceFire
11-01-2004, 07:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JG51Beolke:
Thanks Hunter. With my x800, it casts far cloud shadows and give the ocean a more realistic glare from the lighting. To me, it actually makes it look more realistic. The ocean still retains it's water=1 properties as well as the far shadows from clouds and glare. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thats not what it does on my Radeon 9700Pro.

Forcing the shaders to 1X on water=0 gives the water a very bright teal color to it. On water=1 it creates a more subdued teal color with no reflections of any sort.

Water=1 without forcing the shaders down looks fantastic...and strangely enough...runs better. But not well enough. I'm so put off by the performance right now that I'm running in Excellent mode till the memory issues are sorted out. There I can run 60 fps or better in some cases...so its that extra hit on the pixel shaded water and a bit on the landscape (although I think its a moot point - mostly land based maps give me no trouble) that puts PF over the top. A combination of factors...

aminx
11-01-2004, 08:04 PM
one weeck into this sim and i'm finding out that it is unplayable,all this try this and tweeck that and i have this, is proof that there is something wrong somewhere and now there is a strong rumour circulating that the codes are uncompatible with the cards.One feels there is something wrong with these huge and erratic changes of fps behaviour and i note that even the Nvidia ultra is not enough to reign in the sim, so where do we go from here?
aminx

diabloblanco1
11-01-2004, 11:15 PM
There is a lot of neck talking going on around here. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/351.gif

RAAF_Edin
11-02-2004, 04:21 AM
[Render_OpenGL]
TexQual=3
TexMipFilter=3
TexCompress=0
TexFlags.UseDither=0
TexFlags.UseAlpha=0
TexFlags.UseIndex=0
TexFlags.PolygonStipple=0
TexFlags.UseClampedSprites=0
TexFlags.DrawLandByTriangles=1
TexFlags.UseVertexArrays=1
TexFlags.DisableAPIExtensions=0
TexFlags.ARBMultitextureExt=1
TexFlags.TexEnvCombineExt=1
TexFlags.SecondaryColorExt=1
TexFlags.VertexArrayExt=1
TexFlags.ClipHintExt=1
TexFlags.UsePaletteExt=0
TexFlags.TexAnisotropicExt=1
TexFlags.TexCompressARBExt=1
TexFlags.TexEnvCombine4NV=0
TexFlags.TexEnvCombineDot3=1
TexFlags.DepthClampNV=0
TexFlags.SeparateSpecular=1
TexFlags.TextureShaderNV=0

HardwareShaders=1

Shadows=2
Specular=2
SpecularLight=2
DiffuseLight=2
DynamicalLights=1
MeshDetail=2
VisibilityDistance=3

Sky=2
Forest=3
LandShading=3
LandDetails=2
LandGeom=2
TexLarge=1
TexLandQual=3
TexLandLarge=1

VideoSetupId=17
Water=1
Effects=1
ForceShaders1x=1
PolygonOffsetFactor=-0.15
PolygonOffsetUnits=-3.0

These settings work great on my X800XT even with 4xFSAA and 4xAF ... Cat 4.10

Water looks awsome and I couldn't be more happy with it.

JG51Beolke
11-02-2004, 05:34 AM
Here's my OpenGL settings as well. The game runs flawlessly with them. In the end, I preffer to run in Excellent mode, because it yield better fps and still looks incredible. I don't use Vertex Arrays however because it will do wierd things with my graphics and I don't see any difference with or wothout it.

[Render_OpenGL]
TexQual=3
TexMipFilter=3
TexCompress=0
TexFlags.UseDither=1
TexFlags.UseAlpha=0
TexFlags.UseIndex=0
TexFlags.PolygonStipple=1
TexFlags.UseVertexArrays=0
TexFlags.VertexArrayExt=0
TexFlags.ClipHintExt=0
TexFlags.UsePaletteExt=0
TexFlags.TexAnisotropicExt=1

TexFlags.TexEnvCombine4NV=1
TexFlags.DepthClampNV=1
TexFlags.TextureShaderNV=1

HardwareShaders=1

Shadows=2
Specular=2
SpecularLight=2
DiffuseLight=2
DynamicalLights=1
MeshDetail=2
VisibilityDistance=3

Sky=2
Forest=2
LandShading=3
LandDetails=2

LandGeom=2
TexLarge=1
TexLandQual=3
TexLandLarge=1

VideoSetupId=17
Water=1
Effects=1
ForceShaders1x=1

PolygonOffsetUnits=-3.0

lbhskier37
11-02-2004, 05:38 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by aminx:
one weeck into this sim and i'm finding out that it is unplayable,all this try this and tweeck that and i have this, is proof that there is something wrong somewhere and now there is a strong rumour circulating that the codes are uncompatible with the cards.One feels there is something wrong with these huge and erratic changes of fps behaviour and i note that even the Nvidia ultra is not enough to reign in the sim, so where do we go from here?
aminx <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you in the wrong forum? (CFS3?) Now I understand if you are having a problem running the game, but since the majority of people are running it fine don't you think it's probably something wrong on your end and not the game itself? Or is it the people that are running the game fine that have something wrong?

XyZspineZyX
11-02-2004, 07:55 AM
[Render_OpenGL]
TexQual=3
TexMipFilter=2
TexCompress=0
TexFlags.UseDither=1
TexFlags.UseAlpha=0
TexFlags.UseIndex=0
TexFlags.PolygonStipple=0
TexFlags.UseVertexArrays=1
TexFlags.VertexArrayExt=1
TexFlags.ClipHintExt=0
TexFlags.UsePaletteExt=0
TexFlags.TexAnisotropicExt=0

TexFlags.TexEnvCombine4NV=1
TexFlags.DepthClampNV=1
TexFlags.TextureShaderNV=1

HardwareShaders=1

Shadows=2
Specular=2
SpecularLight=2
DiffuseLight=2
DynamicalLights=1
MeshDetail=2
VisibilityDistance=3

Sky=2
Forest=1
LandShading=3
LandDetails=2

LandGeom=2
TexLarge=1
TexLandQual=3
TexLandLarge=1

PolygonOffsetUnits=-3.0

VideoSetupId=4
Water=2

ForceShaders1x=1
Effects=1

FX5900 Ultra with constant 50fps over water, 33 fps when looking at terrain.

Blackdeath, gets down to 20ish at the first Il2 cassette bomb drop.
------------------------

Teal?
I took the water to be a deep blue, a cold North Sea/ Atlantic blue not the warm clear blue that The Pacific is.
Most of The Pacific is reasonably shallow.

Can't see any green except for at the shoreline and that bit is done rather well.

Gunner_361st
11-02-2004, 09:24 AM
Would anyone tell me what Hardware Shaders does?

I use Direct X instead of Open GL to render my graphics... Whenever I use Open GL (which allows perfect landscape) I get sound problems when exiting/restarting the game and also get an error when exiting the game. (JVM.DLL) ... I can post the exact language of the error later, if anyone is willing to help me with this.

Loki-PF
11-02-2004, 09:55 AM
Amnix,

Take heart brother. I don't think its the game (although I trust it WILL get better perf as patches come out). There are many of us with modest systems that are wunning with perfect mode just fine. I have a AMD 2800 non overclocked 1 Gb of generic ram running at 333 FSB and an older Radeon 9700 AllinOneder card and I'm getting an average of 30 FPS. Not the best certainly but certainly playable. I've had to do no special tweeks or hax, all I did was go to the latest Catalyst drivers.

I know it sounds wierd to say it's good news that the problem is prolly on your end.... But the reason it is is because that means it's fixable by you. Have you tried posting your DXdiag readout and system specs in the community help section?

Hang in there mate... I know how much I anticipated this games arrival and I know I would be massively frustrated that it didn't run well on my box once I fainally got it.

Good luck!

BigC208
11-02-2004, 10:32 AM
I set forceshader=1 as well, I have a 6800gt ultra and as long as the sun is shining straight down it looks all very good. Nicer reflections of clouds on the water. If the sun comes in under an angle the area towards the sun becomes pixelated...very ugly! I also wonder if it makes any difference to have perfect water settings at 0, 1, 2 or 3. It seems to me that with Forceshader=1 I don't have the slowdowns that makes using water=3 unplayable when there are water fountains. I think it cancelles water=3 out altogether.

Z1stDan
11-02-2004, 12:29 PM
Finally! BigC208 sees the same thing I'm seeing but no one will answer my posts and replys about it. I have a FX 5700 Ultra and the water looks good under perfect water except when the sun is more at an angle and then the shimmering of the water looking towards the sun looks like a pixelated mess. Ive tried everything under perfect water to get rid of it but in vain. I didnt know if it was my system or the game. If BigC208 is getting it with a 6800gt ultra then it must be the game. I hope that it is fixable because it looks awful

BigC208
11-02-2004, 01:13 PM
Z1stDan, try Forceshaders=0 and go with perfect water=1. That should take care of the Sun pixelation. Also I turned the forest and effects down to 1. Now I can run perfect water=3 at an average of about 35fps and in heavy action low over the ocean while engaging ships or planes it does not slow down to a crawl anymore when somthing i've been shooting at finaly splashes in the water. Lowest maybe 18fps and only momentarily. This compared to maybe 25fps average and 1fps for sometimes 5 secondsbefore i changed the settings. Oh I run a AMD64-3400 with 1gig of RAM and audigy 2, track ir2. 1280x960 AAx2 AFx0.

Z1stDan
11-02-2004, 02:59 PM
Thanks! I will try this when I get home tonight!

Z1stDan
11-02-2004, 07:04 PM
Thanks BigC208. Turning forceshaders to 0 did the trick and the pixelated mess is gone and the water looks great. Game is running smooth so far. Once again thanks!

JG51Beolke
11-02-2004, 07:36 PM
I've discovered that all Forceshaders1x does, is give the water a more realistic look at a distance, with sun glare as well as distant cloud shadows.