PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Matchmaking: Find players of same skill level.

Fallingdude
12-14-2010, 11:08 PM
Sorry for the wall of text, bear with me please:

When I began playing I was obviously matched with players that were between XP level 30-50 and it wasnt so bad. After a few levels then I was most of the time matched against similar XP level. I have seen very good players that know their game very well (too much for me).

It just hits me now: I remember when playing Halo 3 (not sure if this applies to Reach) I was matched with players of my same real skill. I don't remember the exact equation; there is/was a Major Nelson podcast with the team behind the math. It was something like: out of 10 matches you would play 8 with players of your same real skill level, 1 with players of a higher real skill level and 1 with players of a lower skill level than yours.

That would allow you to go up or down skill level; notice that I have not mentioned experience points level which is a different and inconsequential number if you ask me. Then whenever you put the game down and came back you might receive a beating and be lowered to your now real skill level and you could enjoy you rise again knowing you will play most of the time with players of your same ability.

So with that in mind, here is the poll:

Rainie
12-15-2010, 02:50 AM
How would you calculate real skill level? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif I don't play halo so I'm not familiar with that system.

Personally I don't think that the levels you can achieve in the game (1-50) indicate that you're a great player because you can still be a bad one but playes enough to get the exp. There are some people in the lower levels than can easily win over people over lvl 30. I like the randominity of the matchmaking right now, sometimes to get better you have to play with people better than you

DefiantDiety
12-15-2010, 03:08 AM
Originally posted by kriticalraine:
How would you calculate real skill level? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif I don't play halo so I'm not familiar with that system.

Personally I don't think that the levels you can achieve in the game (1-50) indicate that you're a great player because you can still be a bad one but playes enough to get the exp. There are some people in the lower levels than can easily win over people over lvl 30. I like the randominity of the matchmaking right now, sometimes to get better you have to play with people better than you

QFT. The levels in the game don't necessarily stifle your ability to play once you get your fundamentals down. For instance, day 3 playing the game I was holding my own against level 50's of who I'll give the benefit of the doubt to. Yesterday I played against a level 13 who kept consistently scoring top 3 alongside me. These were games of Wanted, so it showed he at least new the basics.

Perdair
12-15-2010, 03:36 AM
I choose choice 5 - match me up with whomever is ready to play a game.

Otherwise - real skill level. I noticed that Mario Kart on the Wii did something like this: you'd get a bunch of points for 1st, 2nd or 3rd place, but you'd lose points for being towards the back. The upshot was that you'd advance relatively quickly to play with the people who can beat you about half the time, making for a pretty fun race.

andrew.d.suter
12-15-2010, 05:17 AM
my only issue would be as with the likes of COD, as you gain XP you unlock better equipment. At low levels you simply get owned by the higher levels, no matter how skillful you are, purely as they have access to better tools

obliviondoll
12-15-2010, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by andrew.d.suter:
my only issue would be as with the likes of COD, as you gain XP you unlock better equipment. At low levels you simply get owned by the higher levels, no matter how skillful you are, purely as they have access to better tools
Not entirely true.

I've played a match (ran through 3 rematches) where the same 3 players were top 3 every time.

I was one of them, at level 33 at the time, the other 2 were a level 50, and a level 6 player.

The rest of the players were higher level than me.

High level abilities give an advantage, but skill is worth more than abilities.

tallinn1960
12-15-2010, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by obliviondoll:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by andrew.d.suter:
Not entirely true.

I've played a match (ran through 3 rematches) where the same 3 players were top 3 every time.

I was one of them, at level 33 at the time, the other 2 were a level 50, and a level 6 player.

The rest of the players were higher level than me.

High level abilities give an advantage, but skill is worth more than abilities. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I want to support that statement. The only real skill that is a must have in that game is smoke bomb and one gets that very early in level. The other skill that helps with ranking as it gives more points is slow poison which I still do not have yet although being level 45 already, as I did not yet complete my share of poison kills so far. Other than that the serial boni (kill and loss) help scoring and they are obtained early as well.

If people end up top three on a regular base, it is skill, not level. I got used to evaluate people based on points achieved. 4000+ is good. 5000+ is excellent (in "Wanted"). I once played with a french guy that managed a score of 7950 points in a game of advanced wanted. I (coming in second with 2950 points only) could not help myself I send him a message acknowledging his performance.

And for the vote poll: one option is missing. Leave it as it is. Every time I thought, Jesus, so many 50's, you will get owned a lot, it turned out not to be true.

W.E.S.P
12-15-2010, 09:17 AM
I dont care what they do with the matchmaking as long as they sort it out. Since 15.30 ive played 1 game of MH.

Ive tried player, ranked and all modes. It was pretty good yesterday, today is really bad for me. So annoying

Fallingdude
12-15-2010, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by W.E.S.P:
I don't care what they do with the matchmaking as long as they sort it out. Since 15.30 Ive played 1 game of MH.

Ive tried player, ranked and all modes. It was pretty good yesterday, today is really bad for me. So annoying

Someone else posted a topic asking the developers which ports needed to be forwarded to be able to play Brotherhood online. I am not sure if this is the problem but it could be. You see, to find matches regularly I have to disconnect my xbox from my router (and I have that one set with all of xbox live ports as they appear on the xbox.com page)

Regarding how to know the players skill, AC:B already keeps track on the Leaderboards the "Average Score Per Match" . Ubisoft can match players with, lets say a -200/+200 of their Average Score Per Match.

They even have a "Average Score Per Kill" though I wouldn't use this one as it does not paint the whole picture.

E-Zekiel
12-15-2010, 11:24 PM
I don't really like this idea, mainly because matchmaking takes long enough as it is. Not to mention, when I was lower, I wouldn't really have liked being denied playing against higher level players. Sure they have extra powerups and such, but higher level *USUALLY* meant more likely to be a stealth player, and oftentimes just generally more fun to play with.

TheF00L82
12-15-2010, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Fallingdude:
Regarding how to know the players skill, AC:B already keeps track on the Leaderboards the "Average Score Per Match" . Ubisoft can match players with, lets say a -200/+200 of their Average Score Per Match.

They even have a "Average Score Per Kill" though I wouldn't use this one as it does not paint the whole picture.

I personally don't trust any type of leaderboard in an online multiplayer. They are always, in some form or another, flawed and can be cheated. I've taken a look at this one's because I was curious to see if I could spot people who already found cheats/exploits/glitches to rank up. This would throw them to the top quickly with minimal gameplay time. Someone with a total accumulative score of over 500k points was close to the top with only 10 minutes of gameplay. Makes you say "Hmmm! Wow, good job!" then laugh.

Although, if Ubi did incorporate a "Same Skill" match up, then I guess this person would only find matches with people of the same score. Not to mention, this person would suck anyways for only playing 1 or 2 games ever.

AgrippAA
12-16-2010, 09:02 AM
tbh i just want to play the game. I'm not too fussed about who i play aganist because i know im gonna win some times but lose most times and im fine with that.

I'd rather have a system that puts me in a game quickly than a system that spends 5-10 mins finding people at my level or in my skill range.

EscoBlades
12-16-2010, 09:26 AM
The matchmaking algorithm is initially focused on finding players up to 10 levels either side of yours. However, if that fails, it will then attempt to throw you into the next best available game, based on your search parameters and connection.

Now i don't know if this has changed since the patch. Also, it doesn't take into account a high level player partying up with lower level friends and ending up in a lobby with players of similar skill level to the "lower level friends"