PDA

View Full Version : New way to find convoys

Foehammer-1
02-03-2006, 08:00 AM
I'm not sure it will work with all people, but it does work on my computer. Suppose i'm sailing along at 512 time compression, and then the game bogs down by an insane amount. Reason? there are a lot of ships nearby and the game is calculating their routes and whatnot. So, drop TC to 64, submerge, find nothing. Sail for a bit, submerge... I eventually find a sound contact, either a merchant or warship. And i know that it's not alone http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif A convoy. I found all of them this way, and a small task force yesterday

paulhager
02-03-2006, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by Foehammer-1:
I'm not sure it will work with all people, but it does work on my computer. Suppose i'm sailing along at 512 time compression, and then the game bogs down by an insane amount. Reason? there are a lot of ships nearby and the game is calculating their routes and whatnot. So, drop TC to 64, submerge, find nothing. Sail for a bit, submerge... I eventually find a sound contact, either a merchant or warship. And i know that it's not alone http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif A convoy. I found all of them this way, and a small task force yesterday

This is a well known "feature" of the game. It manifests even with fast processors. And, yes, there is always a sound contact when the player goes to the SO room screen.

The_Silent_O
02-03-2006, 08:38 AM
Yep, as soon as things go sluggish, I go to 1X speed, dive to periscope depth. Then I man the hydrophone and pinpoint the convoy myself.

I get two or three sound contacts, plot the convoy's course and then set intercept.

I guess not so unrealistic, since U-boat would do hydrophone checks every now and then.

lecek
02-03-2006, 02:18 PM
I cruse at 1024. With my processor (AMD 2400+) a single ship within 35 km's starts stuttering the clock just a bit.

You can hear him from the full distance if you man the hydrophones yourself. (Unless it is a coastal vessal, fishing boat, tug boat.) If you crank the hydrophone volume, it is just left and down of the hydrophone you have to move the view down a bit to see it, it makes things much easier. For best results shut your engines off and you can do a 360 sweep.

Kaleun1961
02-03-2006, 04:30 PM
This sort of tactic demonstrates that there are two ways to play this game: the "gamey" way, using such bugs or weaknesses, and the hard core simmer way.