PDA

View Full Version : Newbie and interested in IL2...

Wedge2566
01-24-2005, 07:36 AM
Hello I am new to flight sims and I would like to get started with IL2 where should I begin?

IL2 Sturmovik (initial release),
IL2 FB Gold Ed, or
Pacific Fighters?

Also, I read where PF and FB will be compatible with one another, but will IL2 sturmovik (initial release) be compatible with FB and PF?

Thank you for any help and/or advise.

Wedge2566
01-24-2005, 07:36 AM
Hello I am new to flight sims and I would like to get started with IL2 where should I begin?

IL2 FB Gold Ed, or
Pacific Fighters?

Also, I read where PF and FB will be compatible with one another, but will IL2 sturmovik (initial release) be compatible with FB and PF?

Thank you for any help and/or advise.

VF-17_Yankee
01-24-2005, 07:45 AM
S`

If you would like to fly online, almost everyone has FB+AEP+PF, so buy the Gold Pack and Pacific Fighters, install Gold Pack, and then PF, and then download patches 3.03m and 3.04m and then your good to go..

Taylortony
01-24-2005, 09:58 AM
The initial release of FB was going to have an upgrade cd brought out, but there was so much it was released as a new stand alone version, hence Forgotten battles......... The original version IL2 is not compatible with the later versions and bar the odd patch that came out for it, it is very much a stand alone version but is very cheap these days.

Forgotten battles IS IL2 with all the extras they brought out added....
After that they released a Add on CD with new planes etc as an addition to Forgotten Battles called the Aces Expansion Pack or AEP as we call it.

If you get IL2FB Gold pack that comes with both the cds for IL2 Forgotten Battles and the AEP discs bundled together...... Get that one, after that you can at your leisure add Pacific fighters to give you the whole expansion which along with a couple of online patches will allow all the current maps and planes to be used.

Pacific fighters when bought can be either installed as a standalone game on its own or installed as an update to the FB AEP GOLD Pack.
If you add it as an expansion the the FB AEP Gold pack you will get all the planes and all the maps from Europe and the Pacific, If you install it as a standalone, you will just get the Pacific aircraft and the Pacific maps, oh and tha carriers in both http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

If you want to fly it online i would get the FB AEP PF combined version, as you will find most games online run that one......... But as you are starting out I would try the Gold pack first and see if you like it, If you do i would then buy the PF one as well..............

This game comes alive online against real live pilots .... oh and the odd robotic Ubi MOD online http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I hope that helps, you also get new planes added with some of the patches etc http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Skycat_2
01-24-2005, 10:50 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wedge2566:
IL2 FB Gold Ed, or
Pacific Fighters?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Original IL-2 Sturmovik is only compatible with original IL-2 Sturmovik. Last patch was v1.2ov and then support was dropped. Very little IL-2 action online but still a decent offline sim, especially if you have a computer that is more than a couple of years old. Forgotten Battles became the "new" IL-2 Sturmovik with more features but requires slightly more processing power. My advice: skip original IL-2 Sturmovik because Forgotten Battles has all of the same maps and planes.

Forgotten Battles by itself can only be patched up to v1.22. If you're online, you can only play with people with the same patch version. There may be some FB-only hold-outs online, but most people have upgraded to one or both expansions by now.

Ace Expansion Pack brings FB to v2.0. You can patch FB+AEP up to v2.04 by applying two upgrade patches (AEP_201 and AEP_204). Online, you'll only be compatible with persons playing FB+AEP at the same patch version; there is a significant number of people still at v2.04 so the Gold Pack that gives you FB and AEP in one bundle is a very wise and economical purchase.

Pacific Fighters can be installed as a stand-alone and/or as an expansion to FB+AEP. Either way, the version out-of-the-box is called v3.0 -- but the stand-alone and the merged versions are not compatible online. You can patch the stand-alone version to v3.04 and the merged version (FB+AEP+PF) to v3.04m. Again, you can only play online with people using the same version and patch number.

han freak solo
01-24-2005, 11:16 AM
Get the IL2 FB/AEP Gold Pack and then in less than a month you'll be getting Pacific Fighters.

Then you'll be downloading skins and missions and campaigns and and and....

Ain't nothing better!

Wedge2566
01-24-2005, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the advise guys! Very helpful info.

Jumoschwanz
01-24-2005, 01:02 PM
Yea, go for the Forgotten Battles+Ace expansion pack+Pacific Fighters right off the bat.

Don't worry about having old equipment as long as you have a 1000mhz processor, 768mb of ram, and at least a Geforce2(not mx, real Gf2)video card with a minimum of 64mb of ram onboard. Go into the bios settings and make sure your AGP aperature is set at least to 128mb, as Oleg recomends in the manual for PF.
I know a few rigs like this that run it fine as long as they keep the resolution down and don't fly any missions with more than a dozen or so planes.

Every patch that comes out helps the sim run better on new and old equipment so you want to get the 3.03m and the 3.04m patches to put on top of the whole FB+AEP=PF mess.

Get a joystick that the handle twists on so you can use it for the rudder. If you can find a Microsoft Precision 2 on Ebay or somewhere grab it, it is the best stick ever made out of the box.
Of course you are going to get the latest Microsoft Direct X too. Do a web search, and get Startup CPL. This will keep programs from running in the background and is like getting more ram for free. And on and on and on.........

Welcome aboard and good luck,

Jumoschwanz

Bearcat99
01-24-2005, 07:20 PM
Dont mess around.. get the FB GOLD and PF together.. install FB&gt;AEP&gt;PF&gt;and the patches 3.03 & 3.04 and you are DONE till the next patch. Forget about IL2 unless you want to see the original for nostalgias sake. FB is IL2 on steroids. Be advised the learning curve is steep and the system reqs are high.. but it is all worth it. Make sure you have a decent joystick, a lot of patience and satrt to save your pennies.

volkware.xyz
01-24-2005, 09:37 PM
Also, these realistic (and fun!) flight sims can be brutally frustrating when you`re just learning. These forums are filled with info about getting planes up in the air (! bounce of Doom), spin recovery, plane peculiarities, and game features.

I`d also strongly advise jumping into this stuff with a friend equally new... nothing beats co-operative crashing!

Just getting a **** plane off the ground can be a major victory at first, but over time you clue in to things - like how strong the wind may be and subtle rudder manipulations to compensate.

And I humbly suggest flying with the cockpit off for a time: get the experience *fun* first, then venture further into Godawful tough territory if you wish... . Always fly with full physics on, though.

Aero_Shodanjo
01-25-2005, 06:26 AM
As someone else has said before:

"Welcome to the madness"

and

"Prepare to get 'Olegged'"

Welcome aboard m8 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

VW-IceFire
01-25-2005, 08:18 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wedge2566:

IL2 FB Gold Ed, or
Pacific Fighters?

Thank you for any help and/or advise. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Get the FB Gold edition and Pacific Fighters. You will then get what ammounts to 3 theaters of operations (something like 25 maps), somewhere around 150 flyable aircraft, and you can fly online like the rest of us nut-cases.

Be prepared to spend some time on this game. I feel decently good after two years online and offline. You'll start to feel decent after maybe a couple of months but it really takes alot of time to feel confident in all planes that you fly. Focus on one or two types and work your way up!