PDA

View Full Version : I need help bad!!!!!

Mkoll13th
04-20-2009, 03:57 PM
okay i just installed SH3 last night, i think i have most the basic's down now...sort of. Here is my plight. First, the grid's i am sent to seem to be dead..i cant find a ship to save my life...i know i dont have to stay in that area but when i do find a ship i can sail in the direction it said it was going and i dont know if they saw me and ran off but i cant locate them again to save my life..my crew seems unable to locate ships at all...my first patrol (on career mode) i didnt get a warning that there was a ship near by until it was already shooting depth charges at me. so i dove to parascope depth and then asked the sonar guy to give me a range to the target it said that i had to select a target first..i dont know how to do that...then i asked him to repeat his last contact and he said there were no contact's...how is that possible when 5 seconds ago he was warning me i was getting shot at? i know no idea how to use the hydrophone or sonar myself..and it seems that right when i find a ship all my crew is to tired and my most experienced crew of those sections take a break. i am starting in 1939 with 1st flotilla so the only upgrade i have is a flak gun..my batteries run out of juice so quickly that i am forced to run on the surface most the time to recharge the batteries. can someone give me a sample of one of their patrols do you run on the surface most the time and dive when you get a contact or am i doing something wrong or something i am not doing that i should? even when i find ships i cant seem to intercept them when i get where i think they should be there no where to be found...i dont have any mods for the game and havnt downloaded the latest patch (which i will do after this post) but i need help the only thing i was able to sink was a neutral ship and i didnt know you get docked renown points for that. I need help in a bad way..SOMEONE PLEASE FIX ME!

seahorse1939
04-20-2009, 04:28 PM
Hi There.

Don't worry about not finding shipsin the patrol area,just patrol for 24 hrs to gain renown, try and pick a course back to base where you think the shipping lanes are,i sail on the surface untill enemy is sighted then use the USO to locate the enemy,if its a warship get to about 3,000 mts then dive to try not to be detected.
Hope this helps.

Mkoll13th
04-20-2009, 04:35 PM
well i dont know where the main shipping lanes are...is there a map or something that shows this?

Mittelwaechter
04-20-2009, 04:45 PM
Hi Mkoll13th, welcome aboard.

Practice makes perfect and patience pays.

The ordered grid is empty most of the time. Go there, do your 24 hours patrol and sail to an area where to find the targets. On your way to the grid you may sink some ships too.

Sail at the surface and avoid speeding. This is a slow game. 1/3 or ~ 8 to 10 knots is a good cruising speed. You'll get contact via radio/map markings or your watch crew shouts out a sighting.
A map marking indicates the direction the contact is sailing and the speed.
(slow is 5 to 7 knots, medium is 8 to 10 knots. Faster contacts are hard to catch - let'em go until you are good at what to do.)

The mark has a small tail - this is the wake of the ship. Take the ruler tool and start the courseline from the little tail through the marking square and let it end 150 km away.

On this line the contact will sail - try to intercept it. Let's assume the speed is slow ~ 6 knots. You can go faster - at least twice as fast. The contact sails ~ 12 km while you sail 24 km. Find the interception point. There are some stunning tutorials and explanations available via search function of the board.

If your watch crew reports a contact go to periscope depth and ask your hydrophone guy for the next contact. In 1939 he will not give any distance, but the correct direction. If you raise the periscope the hydroguy will report no contacts, because he thinks you see the contact and there are no further contacts around.
Ask for the report, then raise the periscope. If the contact is at ~ 180 he can't hear it, it's a deaf area.

Sailing submerged is only for short distances or at very low speed (~ 2 or 3 knots). At 2 knots you can stay submerged for hours sailing along.

Care for your crew. They need a break to recreate. Half of your men should be at rest, while the other shift is on duty. Watch their fatigue indicator and switch the shifts. At time compression settings faster than 32 the fatigue feature is cancelled.

Patch to 1.4b!
You may want to install SH3 Commander to get rid of the fatigue feature.

After completing one or two careers you should install some mods to get the best gaming experience.
For now you should learn the basics to command your U-Boot successfully.

The map with the shipping lanes and areas is in the documentation folder in the games root directory.

Good hunting, Herr Kaleun.

seahorse1939
04-20-2009, 05:54 PM
another usefull tip is when you begin a patrol,you are in the sub pen, do nothing but first go to the map, keeping it on the port you are in keep enlargeing the map untill you see the sub in the pen, then plot your course out of the pen, ( you will find in some ports there are hazards to be avoded} once this is done you can reduce the size of the map,i do this in and out of port.Also to find your grid in the Atlantic reduce the map and move it about untill the grid referance is in the centre of the screen.

All the best and good luck.

Mkoll13th
04-20-2009, 06:06 PM
okay i have installed SH3 commander and read the readme...seems to add alot of things to the game i am going to try it out after this post and will try your suggestions out on my patrol and see if it helps...Seahorse thanks for the advice i made the mistake on my first patrol of going right to the map while still in the sub pin and plotting one course to my patrol area and outraged to find my nav officer run me into the sub pin and sink my ship...so i do that from now on...thank you

klcarroll
04-20-2009, 07:22 PM
@Mkoll;

When you're actually hunting, you MUST remember that you can HEAR a potential target 2 - 3 times further away than you can SEE it!!!!

.....So you MUST remember to drop down to Periscope Depth regularly for a little LISTEN!!!!

The implementation of this tactic will let you sweep FOUR to SIX times the area you could using only surface visual procedures!

klcarroll

Mkoll13th
04-20-2009, 09:12 PM
okay one question i installed SH3 commander and set the fatigue level to no fatigue but my guys are still getting fatigued whats up?

bfogel
04-20-2009, 10:52 PM
I haven't looked, but there are doubtless some videos posted on youtube that will help you.
Start with sub school, you will learn a lot more that will help you than you may think.
This games true beauty is it's realism.
Chances are you could not jump into a real sub with NO experience and do well at all.
Come out of the harbor at very low speed or you will create waves in the harbor and get your self in trouble.
Pull down your harbor charts as you head out so you don't run across your own nations nets and minefields as you are standing out to sea.
WWII Submarines were almost all designed as torpedo boats that could submerge to attack or to avoid detection.
Battery technology could run you at very slow speed all day or flank for about an hour.
The Diesels would run the boat on the surface to provide much faster surface speeds as well as recharge the batts. The "end around" technique is executed by sailing in a large arc around a convoy (just out of their sight)or other slow moving target to gain good position ahead where you can attack on the surface at night or submerged by day.
Air scrubber tech was primitive too, and you had only what you took and scrubbed, so surfacing was critical for fresh air as well. Max submergence time is about 36 to 40 hours or less depending on the boat. Watch your CO2 gauge.
Learning to Command will provide it's own rewards in a way that only players understand, you will get there! Nothing truly worthwhile in life generally comes without effort, and that puts a shine on the rewards you reap!
Go get these:
Run Silent, Run Deep with Gable and Lancaster, U-571 Matthew McConaughey, Operation Petticoat with Cary Grantand Tony Curtiss, Das Boot with Jurgen Prochnow, The Enemy Below with Robert Mitchem and Curt Jurgens,. These will give you a great insight into how WWII submarines were managed, their capabilities and so on.
They are older films to be sure, but they are crafted and quality work. You will not be disappointed.
They will add to the immersion in the game, provide you with insight, courage, example and likely change your life in positive ways.
After having seen them, you will understand and until you have ... you will not!
That's a cheap price (rental and time to watch) for the benefits you can gain!
If you saw "Crimson Tide", a nuclear boat movie (1994?) with Denzel Washinton and "Pappy" Hackman, some of these are the movies they discuss on the bus near the beginning of the film.
If your friends don't want to watch these because they're "old" .... get new friends! LOL! Kidding!
Also, scanning back a few thousand posts will get you lots of tips and answers too! Start with some of the oldest pages and watch the thread titles, lots of gold in them thar hills!

Mittelwaechter
04-21-2009, 04:41 AM
Hi Mkoll13th,

you can check your fatigue settings by opening
(C:\Programs)\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII\data\Cfg\Bas ic.cfg with Notepad.

Scroll down ~25% and find

[FATIGUE_COEF]
;comp0 tower
RegularFactor00=0
SpecificFactor00=0
BadWeather0=0

;comp1 sonar/radio
RegularFactor10=0
RegularFactor11=0
SpecificFactor10=0
SpecificFactor11=0
BadWeather1=0

;comp2 command room
RegularFactor20=0
RegularFactor21=0
SpecificFactor20=0
SpecificFactor21=0
BadWeather2=0

All compartments should read =0.

If you find some other factors you didn't enable the SH3 Commander setting correct.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Mkoll13th
04-21-2009, 11:08 AM
okay i opened the file and changed the settings but when i went to save it, it said that it cannot create the file check the path to make sure its correct...also a little update, i did 3 patrols last night. The first i was able to track a C-2 cargo vessel...i fired 5 torps at it 2 hit but didnt detonate..1 missed (right at the last second it changed course just enough to barley miss the extreme stern of the ship) and 2 hit it but didnt take it down...i opened up with my flak gun hoping to finish it off but she was still floating so i had to RTB...second patrol went all wrong...found a small merchant and all my torps missed badly, everything looked good on the solution but they missed...3 rd patrol was better i hit a small merchant with 2 torps that sunk her and 1 that missed then right after she sank a C-2 came by and i fire the last 2 at her but they didnt explode..i am getting a little better at tracking the targets but i am still a long way from getting it every time. Now i dove to parascope depth to try and get a listen..but i dont know how to do it myself and my hydrophone guy either wasnt doing it or didnt pick anything up cause i told him to do a normal sweep but he didnt acknowledge my command or say if anything was there. Can someone give me a link to some good videos on how to do everything myself...i searched on the boards but couldnt find anything.

Mkoll13th
04-22-2009, 06:55 PM
okay guys i have a question i have looked around and cant find anything to answer my question...about crew experience...i have done 6 patrols so far and my crew has only gained 9 exp...this seems crazy as i have had 4 patrols where i have sank ships including 1 multi ship sinking. is there something i can do to speed up their experience besides editing the game files...i dont want to do 100+ patrols to try and get my guys promoted

mariuszj1939
04-23-2009, 03:13 AM
As I remember correctly I got 4 promotions when finished patrol with port raid Scapa Flow (sunk Battleship and Illustrious), other time when my final score was over 100 K of merchants.
Please try to sink many ships by deck gun and reserve torpedoes for stormy weather and better targets http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

PS - I play SH3 3 years and still learning ...

owner20071963
04-23-2009, 04:13 AM
Verbally we can help you
on our Website TeamSpeak,
I'm sure our guys will help you http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

mariuszj1939
04-23-2009, 04:26 AM
Originally posted by Mkoll13th:
okay i opened the file and changed the settings but when i went to save it, it said that it cannot create the file check the path to make sure its correct...also a little update, i did 3 patrols last night. The first i was able to track a C-2 cargo vessel...i fired 5 torps at it 2 hit but didnt detonate..1 missed (right at the last second it changed course just enough to barley miss the extreme stern of the ship) and 2 hit it but didnt take it down...i opened up with my flak gun hoping to finish it off but she was still floating so i had to RTB...second patrol went all wrong...found a small merchant and all my torps missed badly, everything looked good on the solution but they missed...3 rd patrol was better i hit a small merchant with 2 torps that sunk her and 1 that missed then right after she sank a C-2 came by and i fire the last 2 at her but they didnt explode..i am getting a little better at tracking the targets but i am still a long way from getting it every time. Now i dove to parascope depth to try and get a listen..but i dont know how to do it myself and my hydrophone guy either wasnt doing it or didnt pick anything up cause i told him to do a normal sweep but he didnt acknowledge my command or say if anything was there. Can someone give me a link to some good videos on how to do everything myself...i searched on the boards but couldnt find anything.

Be patient - don't spend torpedo in small target
try to find the best position before attack. First off all fireing T1 (steam) torpedo during daylight means visiblity of her course - only short distance to target (max 500 m) + full speed of torpedo quarantee you hit. Magnetic pistol is not recommended by myself - I prefer impact pistol and for small ships depth max - 2 m.

Mkoll13th
04-25-2009, 06:34 AM
okay guys a little update. i just got the 2500 renown to be able to upgrade my U-Boat to the VIIB version. Before i had the 39' stater boat which didnt let me have a deck gun and only 5 torps. My first patrol with the new u-boat (patrol #12) my home base was changed to Brest and my patrol area was in the AN area which meant i had to sail through the English channel to get there. Well on the way i ran into 2 Vaw-Destroyer's and sank them and then came upon another one that i was making my attack run and out of no where came 4 Luftwaffe planes that blew it apart before i could get my torps off (GO FLYBOYS!!!) so i continued on and ran into a C-3 cargo ship i got close surfaced and dropped it with my deck gun. Then i was engaged by a destoryer cause i was running on the surface and forgot to put my watch officer back on duty (there has got to be a better way for that to work, why cant he go back on duty automatically) i took several hit's and he dropped my hull integrity to 83% and i was stunk at about periscope depth..couldnt surface or dive...so i made a hasty retreat back to brest. Good new's is after that patrol almost all of my original crew (the sailor's that is) had the experience to get promoted but for some reason i was given the ability to promote them in the barrack's menu...so i had to go out and use SH3 Commander's crew management system to promote them. I have a question...what torps do you think are better the steam/gas or electric....i know the steam one's leave a trail which can give them away...but the electric one's seem to veer off course more time's than i wish to count which causes me to use more torps...i dont know if it's something internal with the torps or something i am doing...but i have fired them on a straight line and they have veered off course. Any Thought's?!

Rusty_S85
04-25-2009, 08:59 AM
Ok I have been playing a while so I will give you my honest opinions.

First off if your given the chance to upgrade from the Type II U-boat do it. The type II only has three torpedo tubes and the Type VII has 4 up front.

Now on the torpedo`s. after you click on the tube you want in the attack periscope view do you hit the Q button? This opens the torpedo door for the tube you selected. If you do not do that your torpedos will almost always miss cause it takes time to open them and the ship is always moving. Another thing you can not click on Tube I and hit Q to open it then go to Tube II and click Q to open it and expect Tube I to stay open. It closes on its own with another tube. Only way to get around this is to do two things, when in the conning tower (one level up from the command room) to one side is the attack periscope the other side has roman numerals with toggle switches. These open the tube doors and you can select any combo to manually open them and they stay open. Or in the Torpedo chart map you go from single tube to salvo which allows you to select any combination of two to four torpedo tubes to fire at once and when you hit Q it opens all of them.

Since its early in the war if you upgraded to the Type VII I would recomend you keep a gas torpedo in Tube I & II or Tube III and IV and in the other two tubes keep electrics. The electrics in early war dont always work right, they detonate prematurely or they dont detonate at all. But it is best to keep two electrics on hand ready to launch incase you come across ships during the day. At night time use the gas the ships usually dont spot them.

Now on finding ships, when you spot one the ruler trick to draw a course line using the "wake" line to get the line angle right is one way. But now if you dont spot a ship or get a ship report to do that and you pick one ship up on your hydrophones this is what I do. I go to the map and right away get the range tool (not sure on the exact name its the one that draws the circle) I click on the center of the tip of the line from the hydrophone. I then advance time and let the line move a good 2 inches away and then I extend the circle out to the range of my Uboat from the sound contact but I put the line on the edge of the new position and presto you have a rough estimate of the course the ship is taking. Now it will be off cause your Uboat is still moving but its close enough to get into position for a 90* abeam shot.

If possible position your U-boat at 1,000 meters or less. That way in the recgonization manual it will give you options of targeting the fuel bunker, engine room, keel shot, propellers, ammo bunker, ect depending on the ship.

Now what I am doing now current date is June 6/7 1943 and I am not setting up for 90* abeam shots, I have gotten good at doing the under keel shots and I have been setting the magnetic torpedos to run between 1 to 1 1/2 meters below the hull of the target ship based off the ocean condition. Great thing I learned about this is it doesnt matter if they are coming head on or at a 45 degree angle long as it comes close enogh to the bottom of the hull it will detonate and usually damage the ship so badly it will be disabled and eventually sink on its own. Or the ship will sit disabled but then be repaired and start moving again.

On the promotion thing the game is alittle weird on it. You can only promote one crew member at a time. I used my Commander program and promote them on their own. So far I have a elite crew as I call it. Not elite as in Type XXI elite but 75% of my crew is the same crew from when I started the war in 1939 with the Type II. I got an officer that has 800 expierance points. All my sailors but two (Commander transfered some of my sailors out for rookie sailors) but I would ay 95% of my sailors are all maxed out on promotions next promotion is to officer and I am maxed out on officers also. But they do their job well and I done my job by them keeping them safe. Sadly I lost two sailors when I did a crazy thing and ordered them to man the flak guns when a PBY was coming at me. The bombs hit the water and didnt do damage to the boat but killed the two sailors. I ended up putting their bodies in the forward torpedo room till I got back to base.

But I hope some of these tips here will help you in becoming a better commander