PDA

View Full Version : State of the Game today? (28th Aug)

Rafen-
08-28-2019, 03:55 PM
As per title anyone know if there is a SotG today?

Abarth_71
08-28-2019, 03:55 PM
No, they're on holiday.

Rafen-
08-28-2019, 04:10 PM
Cool ta, wasn't sure if they were back yet

retro1236
08-28-2019, 04:25 PM
Cool ta, wasn't sure if they were back yet
Nope they have an extra long holiday.
Swedish summer holiday is usually in july but as you have to satisfy all working there and they are from all over the world, they take 2 months off. and then I mean off!
Doesnt matter that you're in a buissness that you can't just leave for 4weeks. We are in Sweden and then we close everything down for the summer. That's what we did in the eighties and my dad told me so.

Come on if you want to have anything to do with top developers, you can't just shut everything down for a month or two....LOL

DarkKnight27us
08-28-2019, 04:34 PM
I'm pretty sure they didn't "shut everything down for a month or two". The just released a server maintenance last week. They're probably working with a skeleton crew, just enough people to keep things moving, while rotating the bulk of the staff through vacation time. Since there's no SotG this week, I would be willing to bet it will be back within the next two weeks. Maybe not next week, because that's the ETF, but most likely the week after.

retro1236
08-28-2019, 04:44 PM
Since there's no SotG this week, I would be willing to bet it will be back within the next two weeks. Maybe not next week, because that's the ETF, but most likely the week after.
Yes I bet, but why cant they say that, they said at the end of august. We all know that's not gonna happen.
Communication is the key. Hey, massive, communication..kommunikation, even if you hate the community, please pretend that you care. You're back in september, say so then!.
How hard could it be! You need some time off, yes great, but please tell us when you're back!

retro1236
08-28-2019, 04:56 PM
I'm pretty sure they didn't "shut everything down for a month or two". The just released a server maintenance last week. They're probably working with a skeleton crew, just enough people to keep things moving, while rotating the bulk of the staff through vacation time. Since there's no SotG this week, I would be willing to bet it will be back within the next two weeks. Maybe not next week, because that's the ETF, but most likely the week after.
Ok, and how hard can it be to communicate that with us? 20 seconds to write the post and everything would be ok..

xcel30
08-28-2019, 04:57 PM
Yes I bet, but why cant they say that, they said at the end of august. We all know that's not gonna happen.
Communication is the key. Hey, massive, communication..kommunikation, even if you hate the community, please pretend that you care. You're back in september, say so then!.
How hard could it be! You need some time off, yes great, but please tell us when you're back!

They said that the ETF workshop would be around september 3rd or 4th, so just wait until then

retro1236
08-28-2019, 04:59 PM
They said that the ETF workshop would be around september 3rd or 4th, so just wait until thenSure, but they didn't say that where most can get that info. Never heard that before and I'm on most platforms. Bet it was twitter, they seem to have a thing for twitter, twitter isn't the no 1 platform for gamers, think again, what you put out on twitter also post in forums or reddit. Orange presidents seem to love it though.

DarkKnight27us
08-28-2019, 05:05 PM
They announced the date for the ETF here on the forums, I think it was one of the sticky posts at the top of the page. They never did give a hard date on when SotG would be back though.

And I agree, they need to do a much better job communicating with the players. Their lack of communication is a really bad look for them.

EDIT:
The ETF info was not on the "General" forum but the "News & Announcement" part of the forums.

Ubi-Alien
08-28-2019, 05:23 PM
They announced the date for the ETF here on the forums, I think it was one of the sticky posts at the top of the page. They never did give a hard date on when SotG would be back though.

And I agree, they need to do a much better job communicating with the players. Their lack of communication is a really bad look for them.

EDIT:
The ETF info was not on the "General" forum but the "News & Announcement" part of the forums.

Also, I would add, shared on Twitter and Discord.

Regarding communications: we always try to do our best in order to provide you with proper updates once things are defined. We haven't announced a specific date for the return of the State of the Game simply because we wanted to avoid providing you with a date and then change it in case (there are many variables involved: gathering information, making sure they're ready to be shared, everything is final and a lot of other things happening behind the scenes, constantly).

That being said, I can assure you all we will share more details about the next State of the Game soon.

In the meantime, we're still here (community team, developers) and as soon as we have anything to share, we will (here, or on other platforms, as already mentioned :P).

retro1236
08-28-2019, 05:30 PM

Regarding communications: we always try to do our best in order to provide you with proper updates once things are defined. We haven't announced a specific date for the return of the State of the Game simply because we wanted to avoid providing you with a date and then change it in case (there are many variables involved: gathering information, making sure they're ready to be shared, everything is final and a lot of other things happening behind the scenes, constantly).

That being said, I can assure you all we will share more details about the next State of the Game soon.

In the meantime, we're still here (community team, developers) and as soon as we have anything to share, we will (here, or on other platforms, as already mentioned :P).
Cant wait! Good to hear. We who are here mostly love this game and not having SOTG for a month is a big thing .. ;)

Ubi-Alien
08-28-2019, 05:38 PM
Cant wait! Good to hear. We who are here mostly love this game and not having SOTG for a month is a big thing .. ;)

Very understandable, totally.

I'm aware not having an SoTG might give the wrong impression to some of you, which is why I'm looking forward (we are) to sharing more info with you as soon everything is ready :)

retro1236
08-28-2019, 05:45 PM
Very understandable, totally.

I'm aware not having an SoTG might give the wrong impression to some of you, which is why I'm looking forward (we are) to sharing more info with you as soon everything is ready :)
Awesome, thanks!

Rafen-
08-28-2019, 06:00 PM

Cool thanks for the heads up, I wasn't complaining just as an FYI, just genuinely didn't know if it was gonna be back this week or not! The wife's happier with no StoG tho, I normally end up disappearing upstairs singer and the kids don't distract me for 30 to 40 minutes.

Ubi-Alien
08-28-2019, 06:03 PM
Cool thanks for the heads up, I wasn't complaining just as an FYI, just genuinely didn't know if it was gonna be back this week or not! The wife's happier with no StoG tho, I normally end up disappearing upstairs singer and the kids don't distract me for 30 to 40 minutes.

Oh no no, I hope I didn't appear aggressive or something ah! :D If I did, apologies! Not my intention :P

Just wanted to point out that we're still here regardless of no SoTG <3 and that we will give you more info about the next SoTG once everything is ready :D

PS: I need to use more emoticons next time. I promise.

retro1236
08-28-2019, 06:09 PM
Can't wait, "once everything is ready" Might just be me but that sentence I love! There is a future for us! and yes it looks great! ;)
You might just be feeding us BS but I don't think so. Future is great for this game. Sorry naysayers and haters. @div2 is where you wanna be.

F.i.x.e.r
08-28-2019, 07:44 PM
Can't wait, "once everything is ready" Might just be me but that sentence I love! There is a future for us! and yes it looks great! ;)
You might just be feeding us BS but I don't think so. Future is great for this game. Sorry naysayers and haters. @div2 is where you wanna be.

Sorry naysayers and haters. @div2 is where you WILL wanna be.:p

DarkKnight27us
08-28-2019, 08:37 PM

While that's all fine and dandy, but since the company runs this message board, shouldn't all communications be funneled through here? Personally, I'd rather see this game fail and be shut down tomorrow than use twitter or reddit to try and get any kind of information or announcement about the game, both of those platforms are some of the most awful parts of the Internet. As for Discord, maybe it's just me, but I don't think to look to Discord for official news and announcements about a game I'm playing. In my opinion, anything official should start here on this message board and the be distributed out to the other platforms.

But as for communications in general, I get it, if you guys say something and it doesn't happen for some reason or it's a little off, you get flooded with haters trying to tear the game down. But it often comes across that you're so afraid to say something about the game, that you often don't say anything about the game. As such, there's often a feeling from the community of talking at a wall because there's so little response back from the devs/community managers in most cases.

Anyway, while the communication for this game isn't the worst I've ever seen, it's also far from the best and it really should be better than it is.

pob709
08-28-2019, 09:21 PM
Personally if I want to find news about a game I use the forum. Never use twitter and discord (whatever that is).

dagrommit
08-28-2019, 10:44 PM
While that's all fine and dandy, but since the company runs this message board, shouldn't all communications be funneled through here? Personally, I'd rather see this game fail and be shut down tomorrow than use twitter or reddit to try and get any kind of information or announcement about the game, both of those platforms are some of the most awful parts of the Internet. As for Discord, maybe it's just me, but I don't think to look to Discord for official news and announcements about a game I'm playing. In my opinion, anything official should start here on this message board and the be distributed out to the other platforms.

FWIW, you don't actually need a twitter account to "use" twitter - just a bookmark: https://mobile.twitter.com/TheDivisionGame

I assume the other platforms take priority as they have data that more people use them than the forum.

sabernub
08-29-2019, 12:10 AM
FWIW, you don't actually need a twitter account to "use" twitter - just a bookmark: https://mobile.twitter.com/TheDivisionGame

I assume the other platforms take priority as they have data that more people use them than the forum.

Please explained to me why I should need to look at other media platforms for answers, that should be post on the company’s own web pages/forums?

It seems like a waste of time, and resources if a player needs to look else where. They should shut the forums down if they prefer to post on other websites!

Styxs_NL
08-29-2019, 12:16 AM
Please explained to me why I should need to look at other media platforms for answers, that should be post on the company’s own web pages/forums?

It seems like a waste of time, and resources if a player needs to look else where. They should shut the forums down if they prefer to post on other websites!

Their own website and forums are mostly the number 1 place to look for info, but not all people like forums, so they also post info on other media sites like Reddit or Twitter.

ps. its not a waste of resources to use a third party media site at all, its fast and effective to reach players faster and you can post a link on those site to your own site and forums

dagrommit
08-29-2019, 03:58 AM

Again, they are using the communication channels that are most popular. People who post in forums have always been a tiny percentage of any user base.

Anyhow, the SOTG hiatus was announced on the official game site (https://tomclancy-thedivision.ubisoft.com/game/en-gb/news-updates/353675/the-division-2-state-of-the-game-recap-reviver-hive-update-tu5-follow-up-elite-task-force-workshop-7-31).

If you consider third-party media sites a waste of time, I assume you don't watch SOTG given that's hosted on youtube, twitch and mixer. :nonchalance:

DarkKnight27us
08-29-2019, 08:00 AM

When I say I don't Twitter, I mean at all. Twitter and Reddit are two of the most toxic hellholes on the internet and I do not support them.

DarkKnight27us
08-29-2019, 08:02 AM
Their own website and forums are mostly the number 1 place to look for info, but not all people like forums, so they also post info on other media sites like Reddit or Twitter.

ps. its not a waste of resources to use a third party media site at all, its fast and effective to reach players faster and you can post a link on those site to your own site and forums

If they want to cross post to some other site, that's fine, but all info should be posted here first and then shared out to the other sites.

Styxs_NL
08-29-2019, 09:02 AM
When I say I don't Twitter, I mean at all. Twitter and Reddit are two of the most toxic hellholes on the internet and I do not support them.

Are you also not using Facebook, instagram and such, those are more toxic then Reddit and twitter.

btw i only have a reddit and twitter account to use it once in a while, not using it actively but only to get info out of it.

If they want to cross post to some other site, that's fine, but all info should be posted here first and then shared out to the other sites.

True, the best way for them is to first make a post on the forums and second make one in the launcher which links to the post on the forums and after that link the forum post again at other media sites.

I notice that most of the time they skip the launcher, but a player doesnt go look at the forum everytime before launching the game, they need to update the launcher right after they made the forum post on any major news they have, most people tend to only go look at the forums when something is broken or something.

Ubi-Alien
08-29-2019, 09:59 AM

But as for communications in general, I get it, if you guys say something and it doesn't happen for some reason or it's a little off, you get flooded with haters trying to tear the game down. But it often comes across that you're so afraid to say something about the game, that you often don't say anything about the game. As such, there's often a feeling from the community of talking at a wall because there's so little response back from the devs/community managers in most cases.

Anyway, while the communication for this game isn't the worst I've ever seen, it's also far from the best and it really should be better than it is.

There are several types of communities: Forums, Discord, Reddit, Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Twitch, Youtube, Mixer, Xbox Live, Playstation (and so on and on). Each one of them is important, no matter where they come from.

Forums are our main platform, which is why if we have news, we post it in the News&Announcement or General or Server Status.
For example: when we communicate about patch notes or maintenance, we always make a twitter post with a redirect to the forums, since this is our main platform, but it doesn't mean we just stop here. ;)

While collecting feedback and informing the community, it's very important to reach as many players as possible. A lot of players don't use forums (like you, for example, don't use Twitter). And that's more than fine, but we need to make sure we really reach as many people as possible.

Also: the fact we don't respond to every thread doesn't mean we're not looking at your conversation. Simply: if there is something useful to add to the conversation (information we can share or anything we can add that has a value), we do. If there is anything to share at the moment, we prefer not :P

Monitor conversation coming from different types of communities is extremely important because I can tell you: Twitter community is completely different from forums that are completely different from Facebook, that is completely different from Discord. Of course, there are similarities in terms of topics, which is also why while we gather your feedback, we also make sure that it's something shared on other platforms, cause sometimes it might be deceiving. We still take notes of what happens, regardless if we find the same feedback elsewhere or not, but it's a very delicate matter.

The beauty and the beast of the feedback gathering, I would say :P

In conclusion: we love to share information with you and replies, and we wish we could share you more. But even if we don't have anything useful to say, we gather your feedback regardless.

Wow, sorry: being concise is something I need to work on. Apologies :P

DarkKnight27us
08-29-2019, 04:41 PM
Are you also not using Facebook, instagram and such, those are more toxic then Reddit and twitter.

btw i only have a reddit and twitter account to use it once in a while, not using it actively but only to get info out of it.

True, the best way for them is to first make a post on the forums and second make one in the launcher which links to the post on the forums and after that link the forum post again at other media sites.

I notice that most of the time they skip the launcher, but a player doesnt go look at the forum everytime before launching the game, they need to update the launcher right after they made the forum post on any major news they have, most people tend to only go look at the forums when something is broken or something.

Facebook is literally friends and family only. Everything else get's blocked. So all I see are baby pics and photos of whatever board game/RPG friends are playing. I don't instantgram, not sure what that is even (is that the one kids use to send nudes?).

And yes, the launcher should be updated with a link to patch notes after every patch.

DarkKnight27us
08-29-2019, 05:08 PM
Also: the fact we don't respond to every thread doesn't mean we're not looking at your conversation. Simply: if there is something useful to add to the conversation (information we can share or anything we can add that has a value), we do. If there is anything to share at the moment, we prefer not :P

Monitor conversation coming from different types of communities is extremely important because I can tell you: Twitter community is completely different from forums that are completely different from Facebook, that is completely different from Discord. Of course, there are similarities in terms of topics, which is also why while we gather your feedback, we also make sure that it's something shared on other platforms, cause sometimes it might be deceiving. We still take notes of what happens, regardless if we find the same feedback elsewhere or not, but it's a very delicate matter.

I would never wish on anyone, the job of having to reply to every forum post. That would be an exorcise in insanity.

But more timely updates about hot topics would be nice. Even if it's just to say something like, "Hey, we're getting a lot of reports about 'X', 'Y', or 'Z' and are looking into it", or "regarding [insert hot topic here] we are still tracking down the issue but this is what we can tell you so far [insert progress report here]". Also, maybe taking some of the issues from other platforms and making a post about them here that then get's reshared out to the other platforms could help as well. Like I said, this should be the central hub for all communications.

Also, when SotG comes back, don't have people avoid the hot topics, have them address them head on and maybe get ahead of the rants a little bit. And don't be afraid to explain why some of these fixes are not simple fixes (like the very excellent Reviver Hive post, but maybe do it on stream for people who don't read?). I know it costs money to make SotG, but maybe do a longer episode every once in while to dive deep into a subject. And get the devs and community relations people out there playing the game with the community. Show people that you all actually play the game and can relate to what we're seeing in game because you're seeing it too. Maybe even run the raid (or other content) with players or something from time to time.

Now maybe what I'm thinking should be done is unreasonable, impractical, or just plain silly (or all of that and more). But, I've always worked under the thought of, "you don't know until you ask".

Ubi-Alien
08-30-2019, 05:29 PM
I would never wish on anyone, the job of having to reply to every forum post. That would be an exorcise in insanity.

But more timely updates about hot topics would be nice. Even if it's just to say something like, "Hey, we're getting a lot of reports about 'X', 'Y', or 'Z' and are looking into it", or "regarding [insert hot topic here] we are still tracking down the issue but this is what we can tell you so far [insert progress report here]". Also, maybe taking some of the issues from other platforms and making a post about them here that then get's reshared out to the other platforms could help as well. Like I said, this should be the central hub for all communications.

Also, when SotG comes back, don't have people avoid the hot topics, have them address them head on and maybe get ahead of the rants a little bit. And don't be afraid to explain why some of these fixes are not simple fixes (like the very excellent Reviver Hive post, but maybe do it on stream for people who don't read?). I know it costs money to make SotG, but maybe do a longer episode every once in while to dive deep into a subject. And get the devs and community relations people out there playing the game with the community. Show people that you all actually play the game and can relate to what we're seeing in game because you're seeing it too. Maybe even run the raid (or other content) with players or something from time to time.

Now maybe what I'm thinking should be done is unreasonable, impractical, or just plain silly (or all of that and more). But, I've always worked under the thought of, "you don't know until you ask".

I totally agree with you, which is what happened with the hit registration issue and the client crashes (the threads I've opened in General, linked to the Support, since we wanted to get additional data from you all following the reports we've received).

And the Revive Hive post is definitely something we loved to share and we noticed how much you've appreciated, the response to that thread has been extremely positive.
Like developers improve the game, we at the same time need to improve our communication with you guys. It's something that has been passed on, I can tell you :)

That being said, to close the State of the Game topic: next SotG will be back next week September 4th (https://forums.ubisoft.com/showthread.php/2114930) :D

dagrommit
08-30-2019, 06:02 PM
That being said, to close the State of the Game topic: next SotG will be back next week September 4th (https://forums.ubisoft.com/showthread.php/2114930) :D

I am going to be disappointed if that doesn't solely consist of Hamish having a conversation with Tommy the Bear about all the fun things they got up to on vacation.