PDA

View Full Version : PC probs: Motherboard or Harddrive??

Amon26
01-22-2005, 07:30 PM
It's a long and drawn out story but i'll try and keep it short.

My mothers computer was behaving strangley, started failing a lot. So I swapped out my slave hard-drive and put it in hers. In turn, I'm given a new 80gb hard drive. After installing the 80gb as a slave into MY comp. S*** hits the fan.

The new drive wouldn't format correctly. It kept going all the way up to 100 and then failing. I finally gave up and took it out. Just to run on my primary hard-drive. After it rebooted, I would double-click on some programs in windows and nothing would happen (hourglass just flashed once). When install files were extracting they would stop halfway through and say "Data error" During several reboots I would get messages saying my registry was corrupted, and a backup one was used.. Sometimes it would reboot right before the desktop loaded.

I then, formatted my main hard-drive (successfully) and re-installed XP. Still the same problems. Lots of weird crashes, sometimes the computer boots and just before getting to the desktop the computer re-boots.

Yes, I've successfully formatted the main-hard drive multiple times.

Yes, I've done a complete scan of the RAM.

Yes, I've attempted to re-install XP several times (with all the patches and updates) and had the same failures.

This long winded ordeal just makes me ask "Is this a hard-drive error? or a motherboard error?" or hell.. something else entirley?

Amon26
01-22-2005, 07:30 PM
It's a long and drawn out story but i'll try and keep it short.

My mothers computer was behaving strangley, started failing a lot. So I swapped out my slave hard-drive and put it in hers. In turn, I'm given a new 80gb hard drive. After installing the 80gb as a slave into MY comp. S*** hits the fan.

The new drive wouldn't format correctly. It kept going all the way up to 100 and then failing. I finally gave up and took it out. Just to run on my primary hard-drive. After it rebooted, I would double-click on some programs in windows and nothing would happen (hourglass just flashed once). When install files were extracting they would stop halfway through and say "Data error" During several reboots I would get messages saying my registry was corrupted, and a backup one was used.. Sometimes it would reboot right before the desktop loaded.

I then, formatted my main hard-drive (successfully) and re-installed XP. Still the same problems. Lots of weird crashes, sometimes the computer boots and just before getting to the desktop the computer re-boots.

Yes, I've successfully formatted the main-hard drive multiple times.

Yes, I've done a complete scan of the RAM.

Yes, I've attempted to re-install XP several times (with all the patches and updates) and had the same failures.

This long winded ordeal just makes me ask "Is this a hard-drive error? or a motherboard error?" or hell.. something else entirley?

adlabs6
01-22-2005, 09:09 PM
Could it be a hard drive cable error?

Amon26
01-22-2005, 09:34 PM
I tried different cables. no real change. I just realised one of my ide cables is totally broken. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

drose01
01-22-2005, 10:45 PM
Sounds to me like a hard drive problem, especially before you did the reformat/reinstall where the registry error was occurring.
I would think if the problem is at the MB level, you would have a failure earlier in startup then what you are reporting.

Zneg1
01-22-2005, 10:52 PM
I would try the HD manufacturer's HD utilities and maybe do a 'ZERO' low level formatting. If the MBR is electronic, I would redo that over. Worse scenario is that the IDE chip,cpacitor,reisistor has gone bad. The only way to know is to disable PRIMARY IDE and use SECONDARY IDE only or vice versa. But it could be a RAM issue as well.

Amon26
01-22-2005, 11:42 PM
Well sometimes even in the boot process it won't recognize any hard-drives connected to the computer. My biggest sign pointing me away from suspecing a hard-drive problem is the fact that i've been able to successfully format this same hard drive multiple times with different programs and each time it's been successful. I've sorta put it through its paces.

LuckyBoy1
01-23-2005, 12:35 AM
I had the same problem. try a different video card. Mine caused read/write errors.

Agamemnon22
01-23-2005, 09:25 AM
My first instinct is RAM, but you said you tested that so I guess not.

If what LuckyBoy said doesn't work, try it with a different power supply next.

steve_v
01-23-2005, 02:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LuckyBoy1:
I had the same problem. try a different video card. Mine caused read/write errors. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I'm with LB1. When my beloved ti 4200 departed this world, the computer would boot maybe 1 out of every 4 tries. Put my backup Voodoo card in and 100%.

flyingscampi
01-23-2005, 03:22 PM
Sounds like a problem my mate had recently booting his PC and formatting hard disks. He changed every component in his computer except for the power supply and the case.

I suggested (in my expert opinion)it might be the power supply http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

It was. He now has two computers http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Amon26
01-23-2005, 09:03 PM
Well, that's a whole lot of different answers. yikes.

I decided to go with replacing the motherboard. It's done strange things since I bought it. I've gone with MSI which I hear is well supported and stable. But It looks like I wont be flying for atleast a week or so *cry* and I just got IL2 gold.

adlabs6
01-23-2005, 10:10 PM
A bad motherboard isn't unheard of. I just installed a new Abit KV8 Pro, and the first one I received had a bad memory socket. The store exchanged it and the new one is working like a champ.

LuckyBoy1
01-24-2005, 01:54 AM
Any video card would work for testing purposes. You can find them for less than the cost of shipping that motherboard back at your local computer store.

JG54_Arnie
01-24-2005, 02:11 AM
Why would it be something different than either the HD or the mainboard? Some of you people are suggesting solutions that have nothing to do with his problem in my opinion.

To make it clear Amon, You had a fine working computer with two HD's in it. You havent changed anything but putting that 80 Gig harddrive from your mothers' computer in yours as a slave and taking your own slave out. After that problems started to happen? How big is your first(primary) HD? Is it big enough for XP? (probably is, but better just ask anyways)

did you try installing XP on that 80 Gig harddrive instead when placing it as Primary?

What happened with your own second HD, does your mothers computer work fine with it and does she only use that drive? If possible, try using that also.

And if it is the mainboard you must have wrecked something while placing and removing the harddrive, is that possible?

Videocard, powersupply and such are still the same as before right? Them giving up at the same time would be weird, but also give different errors.

Obi_Kwiet
01-24-2005, 07:50 AM
Your hyper-drive is leaking.

Spider_439th
01-24-2005, 08:14 AM
Another thing that may cause somes problems....How hot(or cold) is your CPU, have this kind of problem with a customer and it was the CPU found guilty in that particular case

CDN_Merlin
01-24-2005, 08:59 AM
1) DO NOT LOW LEVEL FORMAT YOUR DRIVE. This will render it useless. Low level formats are done when they are made and by the company that built it. They have special conditions to do it in.

1.5) No one mentioned this but did you check the jumper settings on both drives? Make sure your drive is set to MASTER and your mom's is set to SLAVE. This can have weird effects if one is set to CABLE SELECT.

2) Try taking everything out of the PC cept for 1 stick of ram, the bad HD, video card.
Install XP and see how it goes. If it's fine, then isntall the NIC and update XP. Then keep adding 1 item at a time.

Hope this helps

Amon26
01-24-2005, 01:02 PM
Well Arnie,

My computer worked fine with my two original hard-drives in it (master was 15gb, slave was 10gb XP fit into the master just fine) and I gave my mom the 10gb slave.

In turn I got the 80gb. XP went wacky. I thought maybe the system registry was just going nuts because all of the programs on the slave were nowhere to be found.

Vid card has been fine for me, so has the power supply. I even checked the wattage. I ran every test possible on my RAM with no errors. So either its my hard-drive or motherboard. Motherboard was always a little funny.

I dont look forward to re-installing that AMD+heatsink. That was a trial in terror. Hope to see you guys up there again soon.

Agamemnon22
01-24-2005, 06:32 PM
The problem with power supplies isn't wattage (well, not always), but voltage. If either of the 3 rails (3.3, 5 and 12V) wander to far off spec then who knows what problems you'll have. I run a pc repair shop, I see it all the time.

JG54_Arnie
01-25-2005, 02:21 AM
Hmm, weird problem.

Try different HD's as master, first the 80 gig and if you can just to test, try with the 10 Gig if the 80 gig doesnt work.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

MoeLarryCheese
01-25-2005, 03:01 AM
Dang, it sounds like you got the Blaster worm!
The Sasser worm gives similar symptoms.

They are still out there.

I recently re-installed Win200 pro on my non gaming
machine, but accidently left the either net
card pluged into the cable modem. I got the Sasser worm
before the install was complete!

I would guess that hardware might NOT be your problem.

Try formatting and re-installing, but be sure
you are NOT connected to a modem
or cable/DSL.

On a fresh install of Win XP SP1a or lower you
have no defense against those worms.
The MS service pack 2 and updates will protect you.

MLC