PDA

View Full Version : My questions and concerns I have regarding Uplay+

x_Vex_x
08-26-2019, 05:39 PM
EDIT: Meant to put this in Uplay+ section, now can't seem to delete... reposting there.

I am normally allergic to subscription services, and less than $15 would be desirable, however, Uplay+ is something I am very much considering. That said, I have some questions and fears/concerns that I'd like to have addressed before I can really be confident about it.

One red flag is the NGON video discussing Uplay+ (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SbSzBtZBXc) mentions at the 1-minute mark that we will be getting "premium editions" of the games but to "note that it may not include all of the content within the premium edition, such as in-game currency packs." Currency packs as an example isn't a huge deal... but also that is so small, why would you not include it? It makes me worried that other, larger things, like exclusive missions or larger expansions, even may not be included for some reason. If I am going to pay the current price of $15 a month I expect full access to all Ubisoft games and their DLC. Nothing should be locked or excluded for that price for it to be worth it.

This leads to another large fear of mine. If I start subscribing from the beginning, and then a few months or years down the road the terms of the service change for the worse. For example, if Ubisoft starts cutting features and games out of the access list. For example we only get standard editions instead of the highest one (gold/ultimate), or games are removed from the list entirely. (Example: Watch_Dogs Legion no longer included in Uplay+ 2 years after release and therefore you need to repurchase the game to keep playing.) Another example of changing terms being an issue is if the price was RAISED from $15 to $20 or higher after a few months.

Final large fear is if the subscription service stops being offered entirely. If I pay $15 a month for few years and then I am no longer able to because the service is shutting down, I will lose my entire game catalog essentially with no option but to purchase them all separately and individually. It would be a horrible loss of money.

If I am offered full access to all Ubisoft products (I noticed Grow Home wasn't on the list) and services, and no DLC's are excluded and no games are ever revoked from the list I think I would be just willing to pay $15/month to subscribe indefinitely. What would make me even more confident in that decision is if we got guaranteed to keep something each month we subscribe, as a form of collateral if nothing else. (For example a game in the Uplay+ list that we don't own)

I love Ubisoft games, and I tend to defend the company's slip-ups a lot more than I attack it. I think they get a lot of hate they don't deserve. With all that said though, if Ubisoft does commit actions as described above, such as cutting games, refusing to offer the service after a year, leaving DLC out of the editions we get, etc... I think that would be the worst thing I've ever seen a company do and I don't think I could ever forgive Ubisoft or anyone for a scam like that.

It's essentially a bait and switch at that point!!!

-------------

Thanks for reading. If you are from Ubisoft, I'd appreciate any answers you can provide, if you are just another customer like me, feel free to add on with your own questions or concerns, or comment on my own fears. Thanks.

x_Vex_x
08-26-2019, 05:41 PM
Oops I meant to post this in the Uplay+ section.

Ubi-gabelikes
08-29-2019, 09:27 AM
Hey,

Any changes made to Uplay+ will of course be announced in advance before any changes are made.

Regarding the additional content concern, we'll have more information about the content of each game in Uplay+ soon.

It's a subscription service though so you only have access to the games as long as you subscribe. We can definitely look into improving that offer or maybe some rewards for those who stay subscribed, but no news on that currently.

Keep in mind that Uplay+ is also free from September 3rd - 30th for you to try out!

Thiag0BR
09-03-2019, 12:01 AM
I agree, we should be able to make a informed decision during a purchase, and some points like the absence of content that is not being declared (like in game currency in your example) or the fact that we don't get the complete edition for some games is very concerning.
People may not care about some specific content like currency packs, but if its part of the "premium" version of the game and we don't get it, it means we are not getting the "premium" version in the subscription, so they can cut ANY content from watchdogs ultimate edition and still say you get the ultimate edition, but if you want to play the content they cut, you'll have to buy it and keep subscribing to use the content you paid for.

megaflux1
09-03-2019, 04:50 AM
I would hope theres atleast a discount on a 1 year plan...

Pulser49
09-03-2019, 12:32 PM
Just remember, it's a usual cash grab. Who really gives a flying (woops) ! if you get an additional skin or a golden gun :rolleyes: Nowadays no one gets exclusivitiy over anyone else, apart from earlier access to enjoy the bugs before anyone else. Also, and i do not condone this, just putting it out there, EVERY game, exclusive, add ons, dlcs blah blah are easily unlocked with your own cracking knowledge or through an infinite number of sites out there anyway, so save your money :rolleyes:

nemhook78
09-03-2019, 01:12 PM
People should realise, that it's doubtful that it will end anytime soon, Origin have been doing this for years, only not as inclusive and they are finding they are making more money from subs that selling the games alone, that being said they also sell games so it's a big win for them.

in the long run, with subscribers ubi will be seeing a constant cash injection as apposed to waiting till sales are out for games.

but also in regards to yearly subs, it's a subscription bases service, not a free giveaway of games.

EsppX
09-03-2019, 01:27 PM
Free if you get it to work that is :)