PDA

View Full Version : Asking the Wrong Question?

elkyri
08-23-2019, 04:05 PM
Lots of posts by folks explaining whey they are leaving the game to move onto other things. Lots of posts complaining about what folks don't like about the game -- usually the same things over, and over, and over.:) Maybe that's the wrong side of the lens.

I know lots of posters here have quit the game but continue to post. But there are others who are still playing. So, the question put to them is "what keeps you in the game? Why are you still playing?"

Please don't be "that guy" -- a quitter who jumps in here with a sarcastic back-handed response. The question isn't directed to you. It's directed to people who are still playing.

Abarth_71
08-23-2019, 04:12 PM
I log in daily and not going to lie sometimes it feels like a chore doing the same missions repeatedly with no reward in terms of better gear but others I still find it as enjoyable as day one. I'm still hoping for that backpack with 15% weapon damage to drop.

Ground-Hugg2018
08-23-2019, 04:16 PM
Playing for fun! I play with two other players daily. None of us are on the hunt for that one thing that will give us the ultimate gear build. We collect a lot of crap then we go to the white us trade, sell, and see if we can actually find some talents to recalibrate onto our builds to improve health, armor and skills. But I fear my buddies are now looking at other games and will probably move away from D2 in September unless massive dose something drastic to keep them engaged in the game. Even though we play for fun it is getting very stale and very boring with nothing really to look forward to in the game.

LubzinNJ
08-23-2019, 04:21 PM
Good question.

I still get enjoyment from the gunplay. The action mechanics are some of the most fun I've had in a game. So I'll log in and do the dailies, do the invaded on one of my characters, maybe mess around a bit in the DZ, and if none of my friends are around I'll work on another character doing the 1-30 portion of the game which is still hella fun.

And some of my friends who were playing the game at their own pace are finally up to WT5 so I can now play and introduce them to the end game stuff and team up in the DZ with them.

syn7ax69
08-23-2019, 04:27 PM
What can I say, yes there are a lot of problems with the game right now but the developers did some great changes, especially to the skills with TU5, yes maybe they made a big mistake with the expeditions/not finishing the mastery system but the content/updates that they made are definitely an improvement and we have a TU6 coming which seems like it will be about loot which is the biggest problem right now.

I just love the game, I see that the developers care and fix/improve things, they add interesting exotics, the raid is very good and the skills overhaul was a great update.
I'm excited about the TU6 and yeah, after TU6 you can ask the question again and we will see. :D

Sprayz_the_Area
08-23-2019, 05:20 PM
So, the question put to them is "what keeps you in the game? Why are you still playing?"

If a game has 10 million players during the first month of launch, and 6 months later has 1 million players, it's not really important why the 1 million are still there. In fact, you could probably look at whatever game stats they have to determine what worked for them.

No, the better question is what made the 9 million leave? Granted those are made up numbers, but an example of why it may not be important to ask the people who stayed why they stayed. Plus what is "stayed"? Back in my day, a normal AAA video game was 8-20 hours of play. Now folks play 1000 hours and act like they were ripped off. Somewhere the mindset of the new wave of gamers, is they should buy a game and get 2-5 years of 80 hour a week play out of it, else it's garbage. They may work for pure on-line games like Call of Duty and Counter-Strike, but this is not that kind of game.

fredchocolate
08-23-2019, 05:20 PM
I enjoy the game play. I like that I can play solo. I play on a wide screen 4k monitor and the game is amazing. I have been lucky in playing along side very generous people- sharing (EB for example), I log in to keep an active status for the clan though grouping only happens when a raid is scheduled. I find my game time is getting shorter and shorter- I would finish projects- then log. Now i do one project - event and log. I am the only one out of 6 original group playing. We all looked forward to the Raid using that as a motivator to improve and experiment......ya........that lasted about 6 weeks. They won't be back.

I still enjoy and play the Underground,WSP. Hunters as they should be-- not the BS --- jumping jacks.....interact with phone..........salute grave.........what...........a ...................sad.............regression and pretty much sums up what "new and improved" means to this dev group.

roschi15
08-23-2019, 05:24 PM
The Raid is the main reason why I am still playing. Not long ago, I finally completed it and got EB. Playing with this powerful AR is still new and interesting for me. Above that, I really enjoy the team play in the Raid and like it to help other players to finally finish it. Apart from the Raid, I try to finish some of the commendations. I have already two characters and I am not interested in building up a third one. Playing the samé missions again and again is just too boring. So, there is not much to do anymore for me in this game. That's why I think that new content is overdue

DarkKnight27us
08-23-2019, 05:28 PM
I log in and play almost every day. I find the game fun and enjoyable despite the fact that there are issues with loot and character advancement. I enjoy the story and the game mechanics. I like exploring DC and finding new nooks and crannies I haven't seen before.

And lately I've been working on leveling up my 3rd and 4th character to WT5 so that I have an easier time making some different builds based off different Specializations. Trying out the non-META weapons and seeing if there are some fun weapons to play around with that aren't the P416 or M60.

Goo-Goo-Man
08-23-2019, 05:40 PM
Now folks play 1000 hours and act like they were ripped off. Somewhere the mindset of the new wave of gamers, is they should buy a game and get 2-5 years of 80 hour a week play out of it, else it's garbage.....

Lol so much this!

In the good old days they would have had a bit of common sense knocked into them a loooong time ago.......

@OP - cause it’s entertaining.

retro1236
08-23-2019, 05:41 PM
Great post!
Mastering the raid, getting good raid builds is mainly why I keep playing. I'm in no hurry as the raid isn't going anywhere. (I hope ;))
Still doing daily missions, roaming open world to farm materials.
Love this game. It's awesome and only going to get better. Can't wait for TU6 and changes to loot and hopefully recalibration.
600hours+ I could not complain if I had to stop playing this game now.

Neo_Intended
08-23-2019, 05:42 PM
Lots of posts by folks explaining whey they are leaving the game to move onto other things. Lots of posts complaining about what folks don't like about the game -- usually the same things over, and over, and over.:) Maybe that's the wrong side of the lens.

I know lots of posters here have quit the game but continue to post. But there are others who are still playing. So, the question put to them is "what keeps you in the game? Why are you still playing?"

Please don't be "that guy" -- a quitter who jumps in here with a sarcastic back-handed response. The question isn't directed to you. It's directed to people who are still playing.

For me it is still unknown territory. If you start digging (like in The Division), it will be rewarding: There are endless posibilities, and I only scratched at the surface of it. Speaking of surface, I know the game has a hard shell, but that is the challenge.

I see all of this positive, and of course I'm aware of the flaws, but as you said it depends on the side of the lens.

SamanthaMarcus
08-23-2019, 05:52 PM
I continue to play because there is no other game out there that appeals to me

dbgager
08-23-2019, 05:55 PM
Once you exhaust the content you move on. I don't play games just to level. If theres nothing new then its time to play something else.

retro1236
08-23-2019, 05:59 PM
Once you exhaust the content you move on. I don't play games just to level. If theres nothing new then its time to play something else.
Sure, agreed, exhausting the content is highly personal though. What's good content for me might not be it for you.
But yes if you're burned out and don't enjoy it, just move on.

F.i.x.e.r
08-23-2019, 06:27 PM
I support this game because basically at its core like TD1 it is a great game with tons of potential that just has not been tapped. Yes imo it has a lot of problems like RNG, recal, content, etc, etc, but I am banking on this being addressed as it was in TD1 for the most part. Why the devs went in the direction they did, who knows, but for now I play this game for a much reduced time per day and on a much reduced amount of content because being a loner yet prefer group play, I use MM which is pretty quiet on almost all but dailies and invaded stuff, the cause being the lack of players I am assuming.

So to answer the OP's question, I am still playing this game as it is right now, not so much because of what I like about it, but more to support it by adding one more to the player count, because I don't want to see it fail. Quite frankly I'm a bit worried seeing Destiny 2 Shadowkeep arriving on Oct 1 and GR Breakpoint on Oct 4.

III_Hammer_III
08-23-2019, 06:53 PM
If a game has 10 million players during the first month of launch, and 6 months later has 1 million players, it's not really important why the 1 million are still there. In fact, you could probably look at whatever game stats they have to determine what worked for them.

No, the better question is what made the 9 million leave? Granted those are made up numbers, but an example of why it may not be important to ask the people who stayed why they stayed. Plus what is "stayed"? Back in my day, a normal AAA video game was 8-20 hours of play. Now folks play 1000 hours and act like they were ripped off. Somewhere the mindset of the new wave of gamers, is they should buy a game and get 2-5 years of 80 hour a week play out of it, else it's garbage. They may work for pure on-line games like Call of Duty and Counter-Strike, but this is not that kind of game.

So start a thread and ask what made the 9 million leave.

This one is about what makes people stay.

Sprayz_the_Area
08-23-2019, 07:20 PM
So start a thread and ask what made the 9 million leave.

This one is about what makes people stay.

Sorry, I thought this was more of a academic discussion about what is the right\wrong\better question to ask. Pick any game and ask people why they are still playing after whatever period is deemed enough for them to not be playing, and the answer will all be in the range of "It's still fun to me" Which is kind of the obvious answer. Unless you expect more answers like "I can't afford another game", "The voices demand I play just this game, even though I hate it". Which I expect to be the here and there answer, but not the general reason given.

retro1236
08-23-2019, 07:30 PM
"The voices demand I play just this game, even though I hate it". Which I expect to be the here and there answer, but not the general reason given.

Strange if that was the majority of the answers you read so far, did we read the same thread?

dagrommit
08-23-2019, 08:09 PM
INo, the better question is what made the 9 million leave?

Not really. People stop playing for all sorts of reasons. They or their friends started playing else, real life means they have less time, they had a bad experience with other players, or they may have simply got what they wanted out of this game.

Now folks play 1000 hours and act like they were ripped off. Somewhere the mindset of the new wave of gamers, is they should buy a game and get 2-5 years of 80 hour a week play out of it, else it's garbage. They may work for pure on-line games like Call of Duty and Counter-Strike, but this is not that kind of game.

This has a large element of truth, but is not what the OP asked.

In my case, I get a kick out of experimenting with new strategies, which TU5 helped with. Being a co-op game, I've also found the community a little less toxic (at least when it comes to folks I've talked with over comms).

Do I think improvements are needed? Absolutely, but there are already plenty of discussions around the loot system and other weak points of the game.

GetMused
08-23-2019, 08:15 PM
This is simply: bc there’s no other game that interests me enough.

But this will change when BL3 releases.

I’d have much more love if the dz was “better”

sdougjohnson
08-23-2019, 09:38 PM
I enjoy the game. I think the game is gorgeous to look at, a very rich and dark aesthetic to it all, with fun gun battles (shooting throwers in the grenade-pouch and watching them pinwheel through the air will never get old) that require a bit of thinking (cover, positioning, target prioritization, etc). I enjoy running solo and exploring, as well as teaming up with my IRL friends for some co-op action. While there are problems with the game, they're not things that really bug me that much.

One day I'll tire of the game -- such is the way of all things. But that day is not today.

eskimosound
08-23-2019, 11:08 PM

I've been playing every day for 5 months...yep I got a bit bored just before the last update...I've been grinding and grinding and grinding to get a good build...and I've got it. A build I can use everywhere, where I don't get killed instantly, which will kill elites quickly and is a joy to play...that took 4 months to work out....then a month grinding for exotics...that takes me up to now...
Today I have been going through Specializations.
I've got Gunner and Crossbow, I was concentrating on Grenade Launcher...I'm halfway done.
I have also been doing the Gunner stages (I'm stage 3) to get the Gunner uniform.
I need Pestilence and Eagle Bearer and 3 more Achievements...and 2 Masks...
That's what keeps me going...but it has only become bearable because if my build, it is a total joy, my character looks great, responds great, kills great and as I said is a joy....
It was hard work and very frustrating but now when you go back with your character all the missions are a breeze. Speed running missions is fun because you can find the perfect spots and do the perfect kills...I love doing that, mastering where to put my turret, who to kill first, which barrel will set of the explosion.. the faster the better...where once a mission would take me easily an hour, I've got it down to 20 minutes or less...Grand Washington Hotel...the very first mission you do in the game..go back and do it with your WT5 GS500 guy....it's so much fun!!
And lastly the weather...when it starts thunder and lightening I put my feet up and enjoy the beauty...
Oh and if you haven't done it yet just stand in the Planetarium and enjoy the show...
Oh and lastly lastly...! I'm collecting all the things...so all the trinkets, all the armor spare parts...everything, exotic spares...everything, getting them all up to max so that when you need to use them you've got them..
I've got over 78 Commendations and still haven't got them all...I haven't got all the clothes...I'm missing a couple of Backpack trophies (Black TRex and USA flag (D1 Tier reward))
And I'm still finding areas I haven't seen after 400hrs gameplay!!!
It's a beautiful work of art ...I just wish it wasn't War Torn Washington...and was just Washington.

DB_Wade
08-24-2019, 01:20 AM
I don't spend much time watching TV. Instead I play video games.

Been playing TD2 since release. At first I was avid about it -- two or three hours a day and very much enjoyed working through the missions and getting leveled up. Really enjoyed the way the post game invasion changed things up. Then things started getting a little repetitive. Not boring but not quite as exciting or entertaining.

What keeps me at it is that I'm still chasing things -- still working on the exotic holster. Don't yet have Merciless. Don't have the BTSU gloves. Just now getting the components needed for Hard Wired. I'm not a completest but I do want to get these things so I can experiment with them.

So I'll keep at it until I get those things and Ubi can keep me engaged by adding new things for me to chase and new content to explore.

the_SLVRFOX
08-24-2019, 05:34 AM
I still play mostly for the social aspect. I like the people in my clan, and being able to run the raid with them. I like helping others accomplish things in this game, not just clan members, but also strangers. Admittedly, I feel like I am running out of things to do (or there are still plenty of things to do... achievements and commendations... I just don't feel like doing them). And while I do log on daily, I definitely don't play as much as I used to. But then again, I never expected to like this game so much that I would have dumped 535 hours into it in just under 6 months.