PDA

View Full Version : what "race" is Desmond

Radman500
07-10-2011, 10:49 PM
is he "white"... is he "half white, half middle eastern"..

well since altair is middle eastern... then ezio would have some "middle eastern" in him, but probably mostly italian..

the ones that came before, look like white people to me that is... but the ones that came before go by human "races"

i know "race" is a touchy subject, and hard to define, and we don't know how "race" works in the AC universe... but from our society, would desmond be accepted as a "white" person? or would he be accepted under something else

xCr0wnedNorris
07-10-2011, 10:58 PM
Most likely white, just well tanned.

Calvarok
07-10-2011, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Radman500:

well since altair is middle eastern... then ezio would have some "middle eastern" in him, but probably mostly italian..

the ones that came before, look like white people to me that is... but the ones that came before go by human "races"

i know "race" is a touchy subject, and hard to define, and we don't know how "race" works in the AC universe... but from our society, would desmond be accepted as a "white" person? or would he be accepted under something else
Race means exactly the same thing in Assassin's Creed as in real life, dude. He's descended from europeans, as far as we've seen, but he has an american accent so obviously he is North American by birth. He would be considered caucasian.

LieutenantJojo
07-11-2011, 06:15 AM
Well, he would definitely have Middle Eastern and Italian roots, but Desmond's ancestors presumably moved to North America somewhere after Ezio, so I assume that the last few generations have lived in North America. I think he's "white", but simply gets a tan very quick.

But how did Desmond wind up in Italy again? Did he move there himself after leaving the "Farm" or did Abstergo bring him to Italy (assuming Abstergo is based there)?

LightRey
07-11-2011, 06:37 AM
The problem is that there really is no scientific classification of "race". Now if you combine that with the fact that Desmond is probably born in the US (meaning he was born in a country where almost all races have lived together for centuries) and he has forefathers in Italy and what is now once again Israel, it makes it quite hard to make any kind of classification of his race.

Crouching.Tiger
07-11-2011, 06:41 AM
I think he is meant to be multi-ethnic, so they can put his ancestors in virtually any time and place.

LightRey
07-11-2011, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by Crouching.Tiger:
I think he is meant to be multi-ethnic, so they can put his ancestors in virtually any time and place.

good point. I think that would make a lot of sense.

DavisP92
07-11-2011, 09:00 AM
he's probably not just "white", i see him as middle eastern, italian, and what ever the new assassin is. but on a side note, i want a black assassin.

ThaWhistle
07-11-2011, 08:20 PM
he is a caucasian in the most general sense of the term. caucasian encompasses europe, north africa and west asia, including hte middle east. who knows what else is in there though.

scope2005
07-12-2011, 08:54 AM
Human.

Just like all of humanity, desmond is a cross breed of different ethnicities - This gives so much variety that its possible to put desmond's ancestors in pretty much any age or era of man.

LightRey
07-12-2011, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by scope2005:
Human.

Just like all of humanity, desmond is a cross breed of different ethnicities - This gives so much variety that its possible to put desmond's ancestors in pretty much any age or era of man.
human isn't a race, human is a species.

ThaWhistle
07-12-2011, 02:18 PM
technically, there are no real races, blah blah blah, sensitive genetic terminology, however there are three distinguishable groups based on hair, bone structure or some crap like that as is used by forensic anthropologists or some gorup. Caucasian, negroid and mongoloid. blah blah blah, we are all equal regardless of appearance.

this thread doesnt really serve much real purpose to anything important to the game.

LightRey
07-12-2011, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by ThaWhistle:
technically, there are no real races, blah blah blah, sensitive genetic terminology, however there are three distinguishable groups based on hair, bone structure or some crap like that as is used by forensic anthropologists or some gorup. Caucasian, negroid and mongoloid. blah blah blah, we are all equal regardless of appearance.

this thread doesnt really serve much real purpose to anything important to the game.
true, but calling 'human' a race is like calling 'dog' a breed.

ThaWhistle
07-12-2011, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by LightRey:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ThaWhistle:

true, but calling 'human' a race is like calling 'dog' a breed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

indeed, but whereas dogs do have breeds, humans do not actually have the same level of genetic diversity that dogs do. although genetic diversity grows in every successive generation of a species. but that seems off topic.

nightpriestess
07-13-2011, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by Radman500:

He looks too dark to be a "well tanned" white guy. IMO, I just think he's an American with Italian roots. Either way I don't care all that much what race he is.

LightRey
07-13-2011, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by nightpriestess:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Radman500:

He looks too dark to be a "well tanned" white guy. IMO, I just think he's an American with Italian roots. Either way I don't care all that much what race he is. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I agree, but that would still make him Caucasian.

E-Zekiel
07-13-2011, 12:55 PM
I always just assumed he's a mutt. He looks, to me, like a mutt.

RzaRecta357
07-13-2011, 12:58 PM
When I first played it I thought he looked like a french canadian.

Then I read it was made in montreal and he was modeled off some french model.

I still think he's a french Canadian. Haha.

albertwesker22
07-13-2011, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by E-Zekiel:
I always just assumed he's a mutt. He looks, to me, like a mutt.

Dude......

Most white people look like "mutts"

Tessem
07-13-2011, 06:28 PM
Well if he is an American with Italian roots I advice him to stay out of Jersey shore. I don't want that filthy woman called 'Snooki' to be the mother of his child.

It would be wicked to go out with Desmond on a bar, and then you see Snooki, and go like "Desmond, she's a Templar Grand Master. GO!"