PDA

View Full Version : It's not fun anymore?

lukaszep
12-10-2011, 08:47 AM
I know i'm gonna get hate for this, but i wanted to share my thoughts and see who agrees. I'm going to stress that this is my opinion, because i know that a few members on the forums think their word is law. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

I wouldn't make this thread just to scrutinize the series, but simply to look at (in my opinion) what it needs to do to make me enjoy the games as much as i did in AC1 and AC2.

Assassin's Creed was first released to a huge amount of praise for it's innovation and player choice. The series (in my opinion) has managed to keep hold of player choice, but after AC2, has simply failed to innovate.

So since AC1, we've had a truck load of new features and weapons, and all of them have been very well received by the majority, such as the day and night cycles, smoke bombs, parachutes, zip lines, crossbow, outfit dyes to name a few. And whilst these are all great, I've gotten to AC:R and i feel like the game play is now completely outshone by the story. These new features and weapons are being layered on existing game play mechanics, but the game play environment and mechanics themselves aren't being expanded upon and improved, and (in my opinion) it's starting to fall flat. Flat line, even.

The cities are changing with every game, and whilst they all look stunning and the open environment is incredible to play in, AC:B and AC:R do nothing new. Constantinople must be my favorite city so far, but unlike previous games, i've run out of things to do. In AC:B i could easily find something, make something up to do, e.g. stalk some guards or an official. I could sneak into areas, such as Castel Sant'Angelo or the Vatican. Now i'm at a loss.
AC2 had many assassination contracts and was innovative and expanded upon the AC franchise premise (of being an assassin), so why not bring these back in AC:R and expand upon them?
Why not investigate and put together your own contracts for your recruits?

Are the developers running out of ideas? I wouldn't think so, the story continues to entertain me, and so do the settings and characters, but running over rooftops as an Assassins doesn't give me the same rush as it did in AC1 and 2.

I'm interested to know what does everyone else think?

Rukioish
12-10-2011, 09:00 AM
AC:R is more of a story wrap up anyway. I thought it was great, and I played through it twice. I don't need to have constant "Innovations" to have fun, I still appreciate the game for what it is. Plus, AC: 1 is my favorite ac game, I like it stripped down to the bear minimum.

eagleforlife1
12-10-2011, 09:01 AM
I liked ACR but I just didn't enjoy sprinting across rooftops as a 52-year-old. AC2 is my favourite game of all time because of the fact that Ezio wasn't a tank that could swathe through armies but there were so many high-ranking political figures to assassinate and that is how he brought down his enemies.

lukaszep
12-10-2011, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by Rukioish:
AC:R is more of a story wrap up anyway. I thought it was great, and I played through it twice. I don't need to have constant "Innovations" to have fun, I still appreciate the game for what it is. Plus, AC: 1 is my favorite ac game, I like it stripped down to the bear minimum.

I agree with you completely. I'm not asking for constant innovations, but some would be nice http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
But do you not agree it needs a breathe of fresh air?

iNvid22
12-10-2011, 09:50 AM
i'd be surprised if AC3 wasn't a bigger leap, hopefully like AC1 to AC2.

This is the first game where not much has changed so im gonna let it slide.

ProdiGurl
12-10-2011, 10:12 AM
I think that ACR was just continuing the type of gameplay we were already used to with Ezio -
his type of weapons & style, etc. to end His legacy.
I wouldn't want them or expect them to change ACR mid stream & make it all New.
I want & expect that in AC3. This is a very great send-off to Ezio & his era.

What they did is introduce a few great things that made gameplay even more fun for me -
the bombs, the Stalker, the Hookblade/ziplines, upgraded Recruiting system & Master Assassins & 2 missions each (that were all awesome by the way).

I'm not bored of it at all - but it's just like anything else, novelty can wear off of great things the more you use them & I suspect that happens with every good game series eventually.

I think ACR is excellent & will replay it all the time.

I agree with you completely. I'm not asking for constant innovations, but some would be nice Smile
But do you not agree it needs a breathe of fresh air?

Well it's a Trilogy, it's been awhile btwn. new Protagonists - there's only been 2 since it started. With the next Protagonist starts another breath of fresh air I think.
It can't be avoided. But I'm not sure how much of ACII-ACR will be included in AC3/AC4?

eagleforlife1
12-10-2011, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by ProdiGurl:
I think that ACR was just continuing the type of gameplay we were already used to with Ezio -
his type of weapons & style, etc. to end His legacy.
I wouldn't want them or expect them to change ACR mid stream & make it all New.
I want & expect that in AC3. This is a very great send-off to Ezio & his era.

What they did is introduce a few great things that made gameplay even more fun for me -
the bombs, the Stalker, the Hookblade/ziplines, upgraded Recruiting system & Master Assassins & 2 missions each (that were all awesome by the way).

I'm not bored of it at all - but it's just like anything else, novelty can wear off of great things the more you use them & I suspect that happens with every good game series eventually.

I think ACR is excellent & will replay it all the time.

This is a good post.