PDA

View Full Version : Areoplane speed

ste_cowell
12-31-2004, 06:20 AM
Hi I am new to iL2, can happily takeoff, land and have shot down a couple of bombers. I have one real problem. No matter how hard I try, I can't keep up with everyone, even wt WEP on! I tried auto pitch on the props but everything just leaves me standing. for example take off on mission one, fighter. Fouor planes, I am the last. Full throttle, autoprop, flaps to take off, WEP at take off and gear up as soon as I get off the ground. The other three planes leave me for dead AND they have climbed higher than me. /Any assistance greatly appreciated.
Steve

ste_cowell
12-31-2004, 06:20 AM
Hi I am new to iL2, can happily takeoff, land and have shot down a couple of bombers. I have one real problem. No matter how hard I try, I can't keep up with everyone, even wt WEP on! I tried auto pitch on the props but everything just leaves me standing. for example take off on mission one, fighter. Fouor planes, I am the last. Full throttle, autoprop, flaps to take off, WEP at take off and gear up as soon as I get off the ground. The other three planes leave me for dead AND they have climbed higher than me. /Any assistance greatly appreciated.
Steve

monarch1956
12-31-2004, 08:01 AM
hi m8 same happens to me . i think its an AI thing , pacific fighters does seem a bit better to me

ste_cowell
01-01-2005, 06:34 AM
Cheers for replying, maybe I should go pacific or simply continue cutting corners!

FoolTrottel
01-01-2005, 07:32 AM
Do not worry about them (AI) gaining height initially. Do not try to climb with them, in stead keep your airspeed up. Once you are nearer to them (as in 'map-location', not in height), then slowly start climbing to their level.

Tully__
01-01-2005, 06:49 PM
FT has it right. In the original Sturmovik, pretty much all aircraft climb & cruise between 270-330km/h depending on type. When you take off, don't climb at all until you're flying faster than the AI cruise speed for the type you're flying, then climb at a shallow angle so you can stay faster. Once you've caught up you can worry about matching altitude, but still keep your climbrate low enough that you don't slow down too much or you'll fall behind again.

ste_cowell
01-02-2005, 12:30 AM
Cheers for the tips guys. I will give it a go.