PDA

View Full Version : F4U and M202

panzerd18
05-16-2006, 01:45 AM
Why is it whenever I try to fly these planes I always get high speed stalls in a turn? It's almost as if I need to change the travel of my joystick in the input section so as to not pull up as hard.

My other question is, was it really that easy to for a Corsair pilot to get into a high speed stall? Was the elevators so sensitive that this happened? I wonder if Vought allowed pilots to pull so much elevator it snapped everytime?

rnzoli
05-16-2006, 02:29 AM
You can actually try to change the sensitivity curve to max out at 80% in they Il2 joystick setup, it will benefit you when flying heavy fighters. I fly that way and stall rarely.

Regarding elevator authority, probably you miss the effect of force-feedback from the deflected elevator. It's very easy to pull the joystick back fully, but IRL it was very hard to do so. Moreover, pulling hard on the elevator will decrease your speed and energy. With heavy fighters, the only successful tactic is E combat, keeping your speed high at all times. Hard pulls will slow you down, and while you accelerate, more manouverable enemy fighters will finish you quickly.

WOLFMondo
05-16-2006, 03:31 AM
Originally posted by rnzoli:
You can actually try to change the sensitivity curve to max out at 80% in they Il2 joystick setup, it will benefit you when flying heavy fighters. I fly that way and stall rarely.

I second that. I have 70% as the maximum deflection on the elevator and a very smooth curve up to it. makes a world of difference to the more 'nervous' aircraft with overly touchy elevators like the P51, Corsair, Tempest and Spitfire. Warning! Be careful with high speed dives near the ground. It takes a litte longer to pull up but its allot easier to maintain speed overall.