PDA

View Full Version : Braking

TPN_Cephas
11-13-2004, 02:43 PM
Il2 brakes have always been touchy, but with the release of PF they have become ridiculous. The planes like to nose over at the drop of a hat, and once the tail lifts up it does not want to settle down at all unless you are pulling the stick full back at over 60 KMH. I have rolled along for hundreds of yards with the tail pointing at the sky.

Now before I hear 5 "know it alls" tell me I am doing it wrong, I have been flying IL2 since its first day of release and have evenrecently won a short landing competition in FB. In PF my squadmates and I have had planes do complete forward somersaults at 40 kmh with just a light single tap on the brake button.

What was just something you had to be extra careful about in FB has become a really annoying problem in PF. There's nothing like flying a great mission and end up cracking up on landing. We mostly just land without braking now, especially under 60 KMH.

The brakes really need to slowly apply more power the longer the button is depressed instead of instant on. Sort of like a power bar that rises up (not visible though) and then you can hold it at a certain level with taps, or hold down for max power.

Still my favorite game, but the landings need work.

TPN_Cephas
11-13-2004, 02:43 PM
Il2 brakes have always been touchy, but with the release of PF they have become ridiculous. The planes like to nose over at the drop of a hat, and once the tail lifts up it does not want to settle down at all unless you are pulling the stick full back at over 60 KMH. I have rolled along for hundreds of yards with the tail pointing at the sky.

Now before I hear 5 "know it alls" tell me I am doing it wrong, I have been flying IL2 since its first day of release and have evenrecently won a short landing competition in FB. In PF my squadmates and I have had planes do complete forward somersaults at 40 kmh with just a light single tap on the brake button.

What was just something you had to be extra careful about in FB has become a really annoying problem in PF. There's nothing like flying a great mission and end up cracking up on landing. We mostly just land without braking now, especially under 60 KMH.

The brakes really need to slowly apply more power the longer the button is depressed instead of instant on. Sort of like a power bar that rises up (not visible though) and then you can hold it at a certain level with taps, or hold down for max power.

Still my favorite game, but the landings need work.

Waldo.Pepper
11-13-2004, 02:46 PM
Your're doing it wrong!

sorry

couldn't resist

Seriously I notice no difference since PF.

The_Great_Stonk
11-13-2004, 04:55 PM
is it possible to map brakes to a slider ?

BuzzU
11-13-2004, 05:01 PM
I told them disc brakes wouldn't work. They never listen.

TAW_BlueDevil
11-13-2004, 05:08 PM
I have noticed no differences at all and I have been with the series since the start. However I use Ch Pro pedals. I mostly set my elevator trim to full tail down or nearly that for takeoff and most planes keep the tail low. Not completely realistic but very workable.

Atomic_Marten
11-13-2004, 05:19 PM
Braking is quite a touchy bussiness. When landing, I apply brakes only for a sec if my tail wheel isn't on ground. Once it is, I apply full brakes, but when i notice than my nose is going down, I immediatelly release it (I mean in the moment when I feel that tail wheel isn't on the ground, if I fail to release it, then it is often too late to prevent nose-over http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/1072.gif ). Also I tend to use a lot of rudder. It really helps a lot while landing.

Athosd
11-13-2004, 06:03 PM
Also been flying it since the beginning, though don't have any short landing laurels. Can't say I've noticed any great difference with the wheel braking.
Though it might only be apparent to those such as yourself who are pushing the envelope.

Cheers

Athos

Tully__
11-13-2004, 06:56 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TPN_Cephas:
The brakes really need to slowly apply more power the longer the button is depressed instead of instant on. Sort of like a power bar that rises up (not visible though) and then you can hold it at a certain level with taps, or hold down for max power. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's how they work now. The delay to full brakes is about 1/2 a second.

Tully__
11-13-2004, 06:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The_Great_Stonk:
is it possible to map brakes to a slider ? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes.