PDA

View Full Version : [Mac] PC version WILL run on Mac

swpalmer
11-05-2005, 10:51 PM
The message titled "System Reauirements and Posting Guidelines" states:

"Myst V will be released in both CD and DVD formats in the US. The Limited Edition will be released on DVD for both PC and Mac. The Standard Edition will be released on CD for PC only - the US Standard Edition WILL NOT run on the Mac! (The European Standard Edition and Collector's Edition are both on DVD only.)"

The above appears to be incorrect. What it should say is that UBI has crippled the installer of the PC version so that it will not easily run on a Mac.

You can install from the PC 3-CD set on a Mac by copying certain files from the CDs to your HD and running the installer from a command prompt.

Instructions:
make three directories on your HD, "disk1" ,"disk2", "disk3"

Inside these three folders place the media.inf file and the *contents of* the setup folder from each of the corresponding disks. The resulting diskX folder should not have a "setup" folder, rather a folder named with a very long hexidecimal number and the media.inf file.

Then you need to extract the setup.jar file from the first CD into the setup folder copied from disk 1. When I tried this I actually did keep the setup folder for disk1 so my tree looked like:

disk1/media.inf
disk1/setup/33ba...
disk1/setup/com.blahblah/.../...
disk1/setup/run.class

To extract setup.jar do the following:

cd disk1
mkdir setup
cd setup
jar -xf /Volumes/Myst\ V\ EOA/setup.jar

Start the install from the disk1/setup folder with:

java -cp . run

You may be asked to browse to disk2 and disk3 part way through the install.

This does not install the manual. There will be warnings about that at the end of the install.

There might be problems with this install.. but I haven't seen any yet.
And if you try this, please don't ask UBI for tech support. It's obvious that they don't want to support the Mac very well or they would have simply made the installer on the CD set work on the Mac.

swpalmer
11-05-2005, 10:51 PM
The message titled "System Reauirements and Posting Guidelines" states:

"Myst V will be released in both CD and DVD formats in the US. The Limited Edition will be released on DVD for both PC and Mac. The Standard Edition will be released on CD for PC only - the US Standard Edition WILL NOT run on the Mac! (The European Standard Edition and Collector's Edition are both on DVD only.)"

The above appears to be incorrect. What it should say is that UBI has crippled the installer of the PC version so that it will not easily run on a Mac.

You can install from the PC 3-CD set on a Mac by copying certain files from the CDs to your HD and running the installer from a command prompt.

Instructions:
make three directories on your HD, "disk1" ,"disk2", "disk3"

Inside these three folders place the media.inf file and the *contents of* the setup folder from each of the corresponding disks. The resulting diskX folder should not have a "setup" folder, rather a folder named with a very long hexidecimal number and the media.inf file.

Then you need to extract the setup.jar file from the first CD into the setup folder copied from disk 1. When I tried this I actually did keep the setup folder for disk1 so my tree looked like:

disk1/media.inf
disk1/setup/33ba...
disk1/setup/com.blahblah/.../...
disk1/setup/run.class

To extract setup.jar do the following:

cd disk1
mkdir setup
cd setup
jar -xf /Volumes/Myst\ V\ EOA/setup.jar

Start the install from the disk1/setup folder with:

java -cp . run

You may be asked to browse to disk2 and disk3 part way through the install.

This does not install the manual. There will be warnings about that at the end of the install.

There might be problems with this install.. but I haven't seen any yet.
And if you try this, please don't ask UBI for tech support. It's obvious that they don't want to support the Mac very well or they would have simply made the installer on the CD set work on the Mac.

NikonMike
07-30-2008, 03:15 PM
This is a great hack, thanks a lot!

Having read this a long time ago, I just got a new 3CD "PC-only" set for $4.99, knowing I'll be able to install on the Mac!

Fact is that on a current Intel based Mac the procedure was a little more involved, basically combined with the installer patch via jad de-compiler as described elsewhere on this forum.

I had to leave the "setup" folder on disk1 copy as well, while disk2 and disk3 needed to have the "33ba..." folder without "setup".

Towards the end of the installation there were prompts to overwrite existing files, I said No to those.

There were errors reported in the final summary, but everything seems to work fine so far (OK, I'm in the first room not knowing what to do yet http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.

There was additional error in the terminal window:

java.io.IOException: /Applications/Ubisoft/Cyan Worlds/Myst V End Of Ages/Myst V End of Ages.app/Contents/Resources/plSoundDecompress.app/Contents/MacOS/plSoundDecompress: cannot execute

I ended up doing "chmod +x" for that file as well in addition to the main application launcher. Just in case, since the game seemed to work even without plSoundDecompress being executable.

I'm on the Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro with 128MB ATi X1600 graphics, running the latest Leopard (10.5.4).

Heimdall_G
08-02-2008, 02:10 PM
Hey, thanks for the info!

I've updated Myst V: System Requirements and Posting Guidelines (http://forums.ubi.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/3471054943/m/4941067943) accordingly.

mamoose124
01-10-2010, 09:17 AM

In this paragraph, what do you mean by "The resulting diskX folder . . .?" What diskX folder? I don't understand this.