PDA

View Full Version : best joy stick to use for game

jdamiani
03-21-2007, 10:28 AM
hello i am a new member to the game and use a micro soft force feed back joy stick it is about 8 years old ,and i am having a tough time wiyh landing and take off,s. what joy stick would you recomand for this game .thank you very much joe d.

XyZspineZyX
03-21-2007, 10:44 AM
Some type of stick with a seperate dedicated throttle, and some type of rudder, with actual rudder pedals preferred

TgD Thunderbolt56
03-21-2007, 10:55 AM
I use, and recommend, CH Products. http://www.chproducts.com

Fighterstick, Pro Throttle, Pro Pedals...and TrackIR.

TB

K_Freddie
03-21-2007, 01:50 PM
Depending on your price bracket.. Saitek X52 is better longterm prospect.

Reason:- Every stick has sensors that wear out, and they will very quickly with this game. The X52 has contactless X/Y sensors which is what you need.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Chivas
03-21-2007, 01:56 PM
First choice...MSFF2 only available on ebay
Second best...Saitek Aviator very precise and cheap
3rd best...CH Fighterstick
4th best...Saitek X52...haven't tried the X52Pro but it could take the number two spot if its as precise as the Aviator.

Joonas_P_K
03-21-2007, 01:57 PM
Actually many gamer swear by the MSFFB2 joystics. Including me. All the new joystics I have been trying have that cheap toylike feel to them. My MSFFB2 has been working like charm, and I personally think I´m almost cheating when playing the game, just becouse I have much better control over my plane than with other joystics.

badatit
03-21-2007, 02:55 PM
I also use an old Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback Precision Pro (Gameport version), with CH Pro Pedals, an X-45 Throttle, and Track IR (ver.1).

I wouldn't trade this setup for anything.

gkll
03-21-2007, 04:25 PM
I would second some of the thoughts here and suggest you already have the finest stick you could for this game. Take-offs and landings are just plain difficult in this game... maybe it is not the stick?

Of course the stick <may> be bad, although the microsoft FFB sticks are awfully durable......

Zonama
03-21-2007, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Chivas:

Second best...Saitek Aviator very precise and cheap

That's what I'm using at the moment. Certainly is cheap (both in price (25=$50) and look), but it's great to use. The twin throttle isn't something I've used yet, but would if I could get it to control left and right throttles.

badatit
03-21-2007, 04:56 PM
I would recomend going to the
\Program files\Ubisoft\IL-2 Sturmovik 1946\ForceFeedback folder and renaming the punch file to _punch (this will disable the affect).

Actually, I've done this with all of those files...with the exception of
spring and shake (these two relate to flight only)

This should help.

x6BL_Brando
03-21-2007, 05:09 PM

Reason:- Every stick has sensors that wear out, and they will very quickly with this game. The X52 has contactless X/Y sensors which is what you need.

Can't agree with you there old chap. My CH gear has 'flown' more than 7,000 hours with absolutely no need for any new potentiometers. If the time comes, they will cost about $10.00 each direct from the manufacturer and are easy to fit. Have you priced a Hall sensor recently?

B

badatit
03-21-2007, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by K_Freddie:

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

So, my stick should have worn out ten years ago?
I dont get it.

EiZ0N
03-21-2007, 05:42 PM
Force feedback ALL the way.

CUJO_1970
03-21-2007, 07:31 PM
The best "cheap" joystick IMO is the Logitec Extreme 3D Pro.

Perfect ergonomics and just the right heavy feel for me - also very precise.

Bearcat99
03-21-2007, 09:11 PM
If there is nothing wrong with your FFB stick then keep it and use it. I use a MSFFB2/Saitek combo setup.. the sim supports up to 4 controllers and there are enough features to use them.

bhunter2112
03-21-2007, 09:46 PM
my vote goes to Saitek Aviator. I like the look and feel not to high tech. Cheap too. It's the one I use.

knightflyte
03-21-2007, 10:10 PM
I'd say the determinig factor is how involved do you want to get in simming? Is it a casual interest or a full blown hard core desire to learn each plane with the most realistic immersion.

If it's the former then a Saitek Aviator will do fine. Bare in mind the flight models in this game are as realistic as computers will allow today, and with that your control abilities will be limited by the one stick. You'll end up with a lot of functions allocated to the keyboard which distracts from the on screen action.

If your interest is the latter where you'd like as much immersion as you can get, then I'd highly recommend a HOTAS. That's a stick and throttle coupled together so almost any control or operational devise of your planre can be activated by the joystick or throttle.

In this there are many options. I've got a CH products HOTAS/rudder peddles set up. I like it a lot. I find it more precise than other sticks I've owned. (X45, Saitek EVO Force, Logitec FF)
I honestly miss the rotories on the throttle for trimming though.

My Logitec lost all accuracy within 6 months. The rudder would swing right no matter what I did and holding it even was tiring. The Force feedback was great, but hampered shooting accuracy.

My X45 spring tension was uneven and made lining shots tougher than I thought necessary.
I then coupled the X 45 with the EVO Forcefeedback. After almost two years I flt the stick got mushy. I then felt I REALLY like this simming thing. Why not just buy the best you can afford. So I bought the CH Products after a half year of looking and weighing all factors.

I thought the X 52 (in store) was soft in spring tension but I'd love to try the X 52 Pro. (Miss the rotaries)

On whole I'd not trade the CH products. They are the best I've played with. My advice would be to go to a Best Buy or Comp USA and try them out.

CH Products are known for long term reliability. I've read VERY VERY few who have had problems.

Swivet
03-21-2007, 10:11 PM
Anything you feel comfortable killing your opponent with http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif.....You dont need no steeenking rudders, throttles, TIR, homebuilt cockpit, pilots license, flight suit, goggles, blah, blah,blahblahblah,,,like most of the other obsessive compulsive sim junkies here..I use a sidewinder precision pro and it kills just as many bandits as all that other junk they waste money on http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif

Seriously man, anything you feel comfy with flying is cool..You can choose the semi-expensive route for realism and depth or you can choose the el cheapo route, which works fine as well http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

FE_pilot
03-21-2007, 10:11 PM
The Saitek Cyborg Evo is what I'm getting at my local Best-Buy. for $29.95.

My second choice was going to be the Aviator, but the way the throttle is positioned, it might make it difficult to control.

Plus the Evo just looks better than the Aviator.(my opinion).

Old_Canuck
03-22-2007, 12:11 AM
I'm happy with the CH Combat Stick and CH rudder pedals but those two MSFFB sticks on Amazon are tempting even at the price of over 200 dollars each.

F19_Ob
03-22-2007, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by Bearcat99:
If there is nothing wrong with your FFB stick then keep it and use it. I use a MSFFB2/Saitek combo setup.. the sim supports up to 4 controllers and there are enough features to use them.

What BC said.

There are ofcourse more expensive sticks that will provide other features, a heavier stick with lots of buttons, for example.
However considering precision in a twist stick, not many will beat the microsoft feedback sticks. (haven't tested all versions though).

Mine is also over 8 years old and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Recently I mended it for half its value and it was worth it (would do it again)

I'm a bit disabled from using muscles prolonged periods so an ergonomic stick with twist is important for me.
I have tested many types of sticks (expensive ones too) but still prefer mine. I have a 'saitek cyborg evo force' stick as reserve, but it has not the fingertip precision nor ergonomics, although it has more advanced setup and programability.

JG52Uther
03-22-2007, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by CUJO_1970:

Strangely enough I use a Logitech Attack 3.Had it for about 7 months,feels the same as the day I bought it (was an emergency purchase)Got a 3 year warrenty with it.I like it more than my X45,and its been more reliable.Luckily I have CH pedals so dont need a twisty stick.Personally I think its the 'twisty' bit that gives most problems.
But if you can afford it,and you are serious,go for a CH stick.

Deedsundone
03-22-2007, 07:27 AM
I got the Aviator and like it.The throttle position isn´t that much of a hazzle as I first though,infact,I got no problem at all with it.No dual throttle control in IL2 but the second throttle works nicely for pitch trim.

TgD Thunderbolt56
03-22-2007, 08:15 AM
The original poster didn't list any parameters like: Twisty-requirements, $$$ available, desktop space, or particular desires. He didn't ask for "bang-for-the-buck" value or anything else.

CH IS THE BEST!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/metal.gif

Sjeler
03-22-2007, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by CUJO_1970:

I bought that stick 3 weeks ago and I'm satisfied but I think I should have bought Saitek Aviator instead.