PDA

View Full Version : Driver Free Roam: TAG MODE; car chases that start when you tap a car...

InsaneDriver06
01-08-2008, 08:57 PM
Pennysillin' had a great suggestion about a DRIVER TAG MODE, where you bump a car and a chase begins, either you chasing them, or them chasing you. You could tap as many vehicles as the game would allow, ending when you evade them or take them out of commission.

It could be started by pressing pause, selecting TAG MODE, then CHASE or EVADE. It could also continue ON FOOT, where you're pursued by any pedestrians you tap, or you have to chase them down.

It's a great concept for Driver's open city, what do you think?

PennySillin
01-08-2008, 09:14 PM
I say yes. It would have to be a mini game though, because it would be annoying to happen all the time. This could make for some awesome carnage.

Now, the big question, on foot, should people chasing you have weapons? Its a hard question, the cops with weapons ruined survival mode on D3, but thats different from this game.

InsaneDriver06
01-08-2008, 10:16 PM
It'd be good if a rare few people had guns, though the rest could have a bat, club or just use their fists if they catch you. But depending on how far Driver's ON FOOT develops this time around, some great gun fights could erupt.

And yeah, it would start only when you select "TAG MODE"(chase/be chased) in the pause menu. The rest of the time, normal free roam gameplay.

I can imagine chasing down a thug on the street, "Blade Trinity" style(even though that movie kind of sucked), where Blade's chasing Drake through the city streets on foot, running through halls, up staircases, leaping through doorways, off rooftops, crowds, to finally grab onto the thug and pound him/her into submission.
Or a chase/gun fight could take place John Woo's "Hard Boiled" style.

PennySillin
01-09-2008, 07:17 AM
fire escapes, rooftops, power lines, it'd be cool if you could use a power line as a zip line like the military, or just climb across it (or tight-rope walk, try to balance). Bring back the grapling hook idea, be able to use that as a zip line too.

Or, running from an angry mob, grab a tree branch and swing into the tree gymnist/monkey style

Make Tanner, or whoever the next character is, very agile, however unrealistic that may be. It'd be a bit funny too, when setting up the story, it says "Tanner has a background in racing and gymnastics." haha

InsaneDriver06
01-10-2008, 06:56 PM
Agility is the right word, as Tanner and TK were pretty stiff characters with clumsy, limited abilities. Give us an atheletic character like Altaiir from Assassin's Creed, anybody who can really move well including climbing. Climbing is one of the best options for any on foot character.

JacksonL2007
01-12-2008, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by InsaneDriver06:
Agility is the right word, as Tanner and TK were pretty stiff characters with clumsy, limited abilities. Give us an atheletic character like Altaiir from Assassin's Creed, anybody who can really move well including climbing. Climbing is one of the best options for any on foot character.

I think a Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp) type character would be cool but if we are being serious, If any of you have ever seen Cats the musical then you will now what I mean in this next line.
I want a flimsy, accurate, skinny, moderate height character.

Tanner in D2 was like a match stick, Tanner in D3 was a cigar, big and un sightly. TK in DPL looked really good in 1978 bit of the game but had clumsy, $hity, un imaginative actions. His swagger was silly but I think a style of walking is needed. An obscure, stealth, walk would be funny and cool. And was it just me or was TK a cross between Jack Sparrow and Brad Pitt from fight club.

InsaneDriver06
01-12-2008, 01:51 PM
All buildings should allow for interaction where you can either jump up onto ledges or climb ladders, stairs. I know it's not a Spider-Man game, but it helps the on foot reach another level, pun intended.

PennySillin
01-13-2008, 11:30 AM
TK definately sounded like Johnny Depp, and he looked like him (in "Blow")

I didn't like old TK, he looked like an old mexican, I have nothing against mexicans, but how does he go from looking like johnny depp to looking like a mexican?

InsaneDriver06
01-13-2008, 04:13 PM
You should be allowed to turn tag mode off at anytime, so if you're in a chase, just press pause to shut it off. Or would it be more exciting if, once a chase is started, it had to be finished?

PennySillin
01-13-2008, 06:11 PM
it would be more of a challenge, fo sho, but it would be annoying if you weren't trying to get into a big chase, especially if theres reason to explore. If not, I'd leave the mode on all the time.

InsaneDriver06
01-13-2008, 09:02 PM
In tag mode, I'd like to be leading a chase with 20 cars behind me, hit the drawbridge at the right angle just before the bridge got too high, then watch the cars behind me fall into the water.

Pursuing cars should be able to perform all the stunts you're able to, such as hitting ramps, 360's, reverse 180's, etc.

Reminds me of the Driver 1 training mission checklist in the garage. Frustrating, but a useful list of all the skills possible.

PennySillin
01-14-2008, 07:17 AM
Interesting point, it would be cool if pursuers were top notch stunt drivers, or maybe that would coincide with the difficulty level

InsaneDriver06
01-14-2008, 06:47 PM
PURSUIT CAR SKILL LEVEL:

The worst kind of pursuit is when the guy chasing you crashes into every wall and pole the second you turn, or smashing into traffic without any level of avoidance skills, like a moron behind the wheel.

The pursuit car should be skilled and tough to shake. So how would you shake a tail? Through some great driving stunts and skills and near miss situations, like just getting by a train/cross traffic, while the pursuit car gets smashed from the side. And hitting a ramp to the other side of the wall, while the pursuit car falls short and smashes into it. Those situations should present themselves during any chase often.

InsaneDriver06
07-31-2008, 05:55 PM
TAG MODE revisited. While TAG MODE is activated, or whatever Reflections wants to call it, you can tap any vehicle or pedestrian while in a vehicle or on foot, and they will chase you, or if you choose, you have to track them down and chase them, putting them out of commission by whatever means you can find.

ON FOOT: Imagine 20 pedestrians chasing you up ladders, over rooftops, through shopping stores, across freeways... Or you chasing them.

IN VEHICLE: Imagine 20 skilled drivers trying to ram you off a shaky bridge, off a cliff, chasing you at every turn if you can't shake them.

TAG COUNT: Depends how many vehicles/pedestrians you tap. Be careful who you bump into while in TAG MODE.

This would keep the game fun for a very long time, and increase UBISOFT/REFLECTIONS sales figures http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

J_Frumpleberg
08-01-2008, 10:33 AM
I forgot about this idea. Building on it, obviously you hit lots of cars in free roam, maybe for them to chase you you should beep at the same time you hit them.

And sort of in a similar vein, the Timmy cheat in Miami, D3, I'd like to see that again, only with full semi trucks that are faster than a normal semi (and are still faster when you drive them). Only instead of being silent, they should beep their horns periodically

InsaneDriver06
08-01-2008, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by J_Frumpleberg:
I forgot about this idea. Building on it, obviously you hit lots of cars in free roam, maybe for them to chase you you should beep at the same time you hit them.

And sort of in a similar vein, the Timmy cheat in Miami, D3, I'd like to see that again, only with full semi trucks that are faster than a normal semi (and are still faster when you drive them). Only instead of being silent, they should beep their horns periodically

Yeah, that'd be cool to see the Timmy's return, they were like the only bad guy in free roam besides the cops.

TAG MODE itself is a nice expansion of the idea of tapping a cop car and the chase begins, but expanded to every vehicle you tap and maybe beep your horn to at the same time, which would keep things under control rather than just tapping.

But I'm sure Reflections and Ubisoft will overlook such an awesome play mechanic in free roam.

I'd like varying difficulties to pick from too, so it'd range from easy, med hard, insane, selectable in the options mode.

J_Frumpleberg
08-02-2008, 07:30 AM
I've had some more driving game ideas. [edit]I'll put them in quotes to better seperate them.

BOMB TAG
Its sort of like tag mode, only with more on the line, in this one, one car has an explosive charge set to 10 seconds, when you tag another car, they get the charge and the count starts back at 10. You'd see a little bomb icon over the car with the bomb, if you don't tag somebody within 10 seconds, boom, you're gone.

BUT, the game keeps going (I always hate in Driver games where you fail and have to reload), not sure how you respawn, maybe like MarioKart where it just brings you back to the middle or what.

DESTRUCTION DERBY
Held in the streets (closed curcuits bore me), where suddenly every car you see is in play (except parked cars). Just wreck the other guys car. If your car gets totaled, jump out and try to get another one without getting hit.

Maybe after you're totaled you get spawned outside the action Halo-style, and a menu pops up where you can select from any car in the game. Get points for more damage, unlock more cars that way? All points from all games can be used anywhere in the entire Driver game to buy stuff???

Anyway the action doesn't stop until you end the game manually (or maybe a set timer at the beginning)

Basically I like taking ideas from old Driver minigames and making them more free roam style. I like Vigilante mode in GTA, where as soon as you stop one criminal you go after another. The only change I would make for Driver's Pursuit mode is that you can change vehicles anytime.

All minigames should be accessable in free roam, like DPL, but from the pause menu instead

I'm also thinking about taking regular sports like football and soccer and applying them to cars, set it in the streets, as usual.

InsaneDriver06
08-02-2008, 07:48 AM
Yeah, those are good sub-modes for TAG MODE. They'd help keep the game exciting months after buying it.

Survival TAG Mode
Expanding on the tag mode idea, imagine driving down the street, but rather than having to tag each car you wanted to chase you, every car in sight began chasing you, almost like GTA's zombie mode but with cars/bikes/trucks instead (and would also expand to on foot when you get out of your car).

There could be a target point across the map you'd have to reach with just a single car (Survival TAG Mode). Once you reach it, you could gain new cheats, like "DROP A RAMP" that allows you to drop a ramp 50 feet directly in front of your car, so you could avoid large numbers of oncoming attackers by jumping the ramp.

DROP A RAMP: With the press of a button, a ramp instantly appears ahead, giving you the choice to jump or avoid it. You could adjust the height angle with 3 preset positions with the tap of the same button. Low, medium or high angle jumps. Why? Because hitting ramps in a Driver game is a blast most of the time, and there aren't enough opportunities for catching air.

J_Frumpleberg
08-02-2008, 11:37 AM
Yes, now the conversations getting interesting! Survival Tag mode sounds like fugitive mode in cars.

I also like the target point idea, gives some more purpose to the game, like a mission without really being a mission.

InsaneDriver06
08-02-2008, 08:16 PM
Yeah, the target point could be random each time, to keep you moving to new locations, if you can get there in one piece.

I noticed in Driver 1 and 2, when the cops started chasing you, away went the option to exit your vehicle, forcing you to really use your skill and luck to lose the tails, increasing the tension.

The only change I'd make to that is to allow you to exit once your vehicle wrecked, so you could continue the escape in another vehicle.

J_Frumpleberg
08-04-2008, 05:51 PM
I'm not sure about that one. I like being able to hop out of my car at any time (though it does suck when, upon playing the game again after a long time, I jump out of the car thinking I pulled the handbrake)

Mean Streets
Just spitting out random ideas now. This one would be a roof-top racing game where there are ramps on roof-tops, you have to jump between roof-tops, and if your car touches the ground you blow up. You will be respawned back on the roof-top. You could however land on top of other vehicles (trains even, Stuntman style)

InsaneDriver06
08-05-2008, 06:04 PM
I'm not sure about that one. I like being able to hop out of my car at any time (though it does suck when, upon playing the game again after a long time, I jump out of the car thinking I pulled the handbrake)

Mean Streets
Just spitting out random ideas now. This one would be a roof-top racing game where there are ramps on roof-tops, you have to jump between roof-tops, and if your car touches the ground you blow up. You will be respawned back on the roof-top. You could however land on top of other vehicles (trains even, Stuntman style)

Yeah, the rooftop ramp chase would kick. The respawn idea sounds good, since it'd be a pain trying to get back to the rooftops, keep the chase going. I'd say hitting ramps is something I never get tired of in the Driver games.

Driver 2 didn't let you get out of your car while being pursued only, but it did amp up the tension, making the vehicle seem much more important to keep intact, versus the disposability of a "throw away" vehicle.

J_Frumpleberg
08-15-2008, 08:46 AM
Survival Mode
One thing I always hated about Survival mode is that it starts you out with 4 cops pointed straight at you and no time to get some speed. So, in the new survival mode, we should get 10 seconds before the cops are on us.

Also, I'd like Survival to be more like the Blues Brothers, where theres maybe 10 cars following you. Can't do too much without slow-down though, and I'd still like traffic to be driving around, maybe a bit less so we can have more cops.

In addition, like my other game ideas, I would only want the game to end when you choose. So when your car dies, you can respawn or get out and try your luck finding another car.

On foot survival: much like how the cops are suicidal in car, now they just run up to you guns blazing, see how long you can fend them off. When you die, you respawn in a car, cops stop shooting and run back to their cars.

InsaneDriver06
08-15-2008, 06:10 PM
I like the idea that when in car, shooting is no longer an option, so the driving becomes the focus again. On foot, shooting is fine to keep busy with.

I think that was the mistake Reflections made, trying to improve the gamers options by allowing guns and driving, actually ruined the fun of a good old fashioned car chase. Not much fun if your tires are always getting shot out by the cops.

----
Yeah, TAG MODE should allow the chase to go on without any "RESTART?" screens cutting into the fun. Keep it going till we find it's time to put the game away.

FutureVenturer2
08-15-2008, 09:55 PM
Yes, after giving it some thought, car chases in movies and even on reality TV shows have hardly ever offered shooting, so it would make a lot of sense to keep the shooting portions of gameplay away from ruining a potentially great car chase. But I certainly think that when it comes to the point that your car comes to a stop, you should have the ability to shoot out of your vehicle at a police officer and get away with your car again (or run out of it and try to hide somewhere that no one will be able to find you). And the car chases need to have the cops feel and act very similar to those found in reality TV shows about cops going after suspects in car chases. But like I said before, during a car chase, shooting should not be around at all.

J_Frumpleberg
08-16-2008, 04:51 AM
I would want to be able to jump on top of someones car and go for a ride though, then giving me drive-bys kind of. And even better is the idea of having a "gang" who could pick you up with the press of a combo and you could sit in the back and shoot out that way.

InsaneDriver06
08-22-2008, 06:32 PM
GTA4 Online is working on a zombie mode, which is something that would work well in TAG MODE, where if you get caught by one of 50 pedestrians, and they manage to bite you, you slowly turn into a zombie. It'd be cool if there were stumbling slow walking zombies, and if the option was picked, fast running zombies. But that's going into the "cheat code" realm, not actual gameplay modes that would ever fit into a Driver game.

J_Frumpleberg
08-23-2008, 01:16 PM
Cheat codes are fair game to me, and the way I see it, cheat codes should be almost like expansion packs, change the gameplay in odd ways. Games are too normal, all these GTA type games do the same thing as eachother, theres nothing outside the box really. I think cheat codes are some of the more important parts of a game. And now, for something completely different!

BTW, I've also gotten pretty far on the wishlist, considering I didn't know the programming language at all two days ago, so I'm thinking that definately within the next week I'll have the wishlist up, then I can just update it and tweak the code to my liking.

InsaneDriver06
08-24-2008, 08:56 AM
Cool. Looking forward to seeing a compilation of the Wishlist.

TAG MODE ON FOOT PURSUIT: If I'm being chased by an angry mob, I'd like to be able to run through a narrow alley, knocking over garbage cans to slow them down, then when I get around the corner, grip against the wall as the mob rushes out of the alley, passing me up in front. But one of them scans the area ahead, doesn't see me and turns around, spotting me. Since this is TAG MODE and I'm "it", I either blast them with a hand gun or keep running, climbing a ladder to the rooftops.

J_Frumpleberg
08-24-2008, 09:11 AM
Something I thought about when I was writing Tag Mode into the wishlist is, what do you think of the ability for others to be "it"? Then when you tag another car/person, everyone starts chasing them. It would have to be a different mode I think, because TAG mode you tag as many cars as you want but you're always it.

Hey InsaneDriver, on the last page you made up a game called Survival Tag Mode, I thought of another possible name for it so its not mixed up with regular Survival or Tag Modes: Witch Hunt! Tell me what you think!

InsaneDriver06
08-25-2008, 07:25 AM
Something I thought about when I was writing Tag Mode into the wishlist is, what do you think of the ability for others to be "it"? Then when you tag another car/person, everyone starts chasing them. It would have to be a different mode I think, because TAG mode you tag as many cars as you want but you're always it.

Hey InsaneDriver, on the last page you made up a game called Survival Tag Mode, I thought of another possible name for it so its not mixed up with regular Survival or Tag Modes: Witch Hunt! Tell me what you think!

If it was a survival horror game, that would be a great title for it, but it does get the point across, so yeah, that could work.

FutureVenturer2
08-25-2008, 10:39 AM
I don't really like the idea of cheat codes because they often make you nearly invincible and due to them sometimes going against the concept of the game. If I want to see things that are not anything like the game's original intentions, I'd rather leave that upto another developer to make such a game. Sometimes cheat codes can even get in the way of making a more polished game. For instance, I think that if the GTA games didn't focus so much on cheat codes, could've had enough time to be polished in terms of graphics and other aspects as well. One thing that I'm happy to hear about GTA IV is that it's not going to the extremes in terms of cheat codes as much as the previous GTA games did. I've recently unlocked a special item in MGS3 that allows you to be 100% camoflauged, and it's considered a cheat. I enjoyed it for one playthrough, but now I'm not enjoying it anymore because it's just a really easy stroll through the game, thus lowering the difficulty greatly. Instead, I want to be a professional speed runner if I can be that. And I think that speed running is an even better idea than the likes of cheats because it's shows how talented a being is and how devoted he/she is to a particular game that he/she has come upon playing.

Like InsaneDriver06, said in the other topic, we should be hoping for a better driving game, not something else. In fact, I wouldn't mind if the game was 100% driving and 0% on-foot. It would probably give Ubisoft Reflections the chance to create one of the most unique driving games ever around in the video game industry. It's about time that we started to think a lot less about the on-foot, which, of course, is Ubisoft Reflections' weakness, and that we started thinking primarily and only about the driving. At least until we can find a really polished driving experience for a Driver game, I don't think it is a smart idea for us to see anything more than driving in the game. I hope that D4/D5 will be even more realistic with its use of vehicles than even D3 was, especially in terms of realistic damage, such that it will go as far as Mafia II is going or even further, which promises that the crashes will look even more realistic and spectacular than Burnout: Paradise's. As far as I'm concerned, Burnout: Paradise is the tip of the iceberg for the Burnout franchise. There really isn't anything more special to implement than the open-world idea that Burnout: Paradise had going. We need the best driving experience, by sound, by graphics, by its gameplay, by its controls, by its replay value, and most of all, by its innovation.

J_Frumpleberg
08-26-2008, 07:25 AM
Invincibility is just one cheat code that you don't even need to use. What I'm saying is developers can really let their imaginations run wild with the cheat codes, for instance, Giant Mech Robots! It would allow new modes of gameplay.

I just need to learn to make my own game. Then you would see how cool these ideas really are. Anything Goes!

InsaneDriver06
08-26-2008, 05:25 PM
Cheat codes make old games fun, I'm all for cheat codes. Invincibility, cops off, allows for a great time in the Driver games. And then when I feel like it, I turn the cheats off and enjoy the original intentions of the gameplay.

Sometimes, for gamers that don't have enough time to complete insanely difficult missions but want to enjoy the game with the time they have, cheat codes are really useful.