PDA

View Full Version : Not Just Dancing, more like Just Frustrating

N3558
07-17-2019, 03:58 AM
Hi everyone,
I've been playing just dance for a long time now and I have just recently discovered you can play hands free with a Kinect (LIKE WHERE HAVE I BEEN). So I went out and bought myself and xbox one with Kinect and Just Dance 2019. I have been playing with the switch previously. I have played several songs I know by heart and can dance the moves to even when it comes on in a grocery store. I CANNOT FOR THE LIFE OF ME get them to pick up most of the time. I have recalibrated my Kinect several times. I have moved it around and tried different angles. I have recalibrated it after moving it like I should. I have tried minimal lighting and I have tried all the light in the world (I even went out and bought another lamp for the room I am in). I have tried dancing further back. I have tried dancing further up. What really grinds my gears is that THE EXACT SAME MOVES IN ANOTHER SONG WORK FINE BUT IN THE SONG I AM DANCING TO WON'T PICK UP. It's all variable. I have had people stand there and watch me dance and say "Yeah, I don't understand. You are doing the exact same thing they are at the same time." Please please please for the life of me, HELP. I am literally on the verge of a mental break because I was so excited.

UbiMorning
07-17-2019, 04:58 PM
Hey N3558! I am sorry to hear about your frustrations with Just Dance. What song in particular are you having an issue with? Have you tried these XB1 steps as well? (https://support.ubi.com/en-GB/Faqs/000026628/Basic-Xbox-One-Troubleshooting)

N3558
07-17-2019, 06:11 PM
Hey N3558! I am sorry to hear about your frustrations with Just Dance. What song in particular are you having an issue with? Have you tried these XB1 steps as well? (https://support.ubi.com/en-GB/Faqs/000026628/Basic-Xbox-One-Troubleshooting)

Of course I have. I have sent countless hours googling for solutions. I have my friends also looking. I have asked people who know more about the kinect than I do. And I have to say the majority of them are doing this. I keep testing these different solutions with Work Work by Brittany Spears because it's the one that's making me the most irritated with not picking up the dance moves. Watch Me Whip is another huge one. I have checked everything. Everything is up to date. I literally just bought my xbox, kinect, and game so there isn't any cache to clear. I have readjusted my kinect. I have moved it and then recalibrated/readjusted. I have provided more light. I have provided less light. I have stood further back. I have stood further up. I have set my kinect up high. I have set it down low. I have moved it to the edge of the table and I have moved it back. Trust me. I have tried everything I have found.

greekphysics
07-18-2019, 04:13 AM
I had over a year's experience with Wii U when I first discovered Xbox Kinect in 2017, and when I first made the switch I had been very frustrated for weeks.

My problems were that (A) I had been used to focusing very much on my right hand, but Xbox Kinect looks for a wide variety of technical issues that can involve any parts of the body, not necessarily giving much attention to the right hand, and (B) some of the easiest dances on Wii U or Switch like Watch Me are among the more difficult dances on Xbox Kinect.

My first suggestion is to examine the body-outline image that you see before the dance begins and later at the top of the screen once the dance is in progress. If it's picking up the shape of your arms, legs, and torso more or less right, the Kinect sensor is probably picking you up just fine.

The Kinect sensor is generally quite flexible in terms of distance, height, clothing, background, colors, etc. Personally, I have my Kinect sensor mounted on a tripod at half my height, just to the right of the t.v., I wear compression pants and shirts that fit snugly to reveal the shape of my body clearly, and I have a background screen that contrasts well with the clothes that I wear. However, these things only make a slight difference in most cases. I've seen players dance in a wide variety of conditions and hit amazing scores. From well-lit rooms to dark rooms, I haven't noticed my difference with Kinect. (The PS4 camera though is notoriously picky.)

If your body-outline image (for lack of the proper wording) is missing an arm or leg, or if loose clothing is making it difficult to see bent knees, bent arms, proper leg and arm angles, which way your torso is leaning, and other technical details, then you need to focus on how to get the body-outline image to look right. In most cases, this is pretty good and doesn't need adjustment.

Once you have the body-outline image working reasonably, you need to focus on the full-body choreography. Even if the right hand is so smooth and coordinated that it generally hits perfects on a particular dance with remote play, you can take X's and OK's due to technical fouls with any part of your body with Xbox Kinect. With a few of the harder and trickier moves it can seem a little like Where's Waldo trying to figure out what's wrong, but most of the time when I have figured out how to turn an X, OK, or good into a perfect the thing I had been doing wrong was clearly wrong. Somebody on the Just Dance team must spend a lot of time thinking, "What would the best dancers do right that most players would do slightly wrong?" Occasionally, it turns out to be a rather small thing.

I've learned that the Kinect sensor sometimes picks up very small details and that these little details can have a big influence on the scoring.

Watch Me, Dragostea Din Tei, Wherever I Go, and other dances that had been relatively easy with a remote I really struggled with when I first discovered Xbox Kinect. On the other hand, dances like Lean On (quartet) that had been very difficult for me with a remote were suddenly very easy with Xbox Kinect. At first, this seemed frustrating, but then I realized that Lean On has some intricate hand movements that aren't easy to replicate, and that the full-body choreography of Watch Me is pretty challenging to pull off from head to toe (whereas it is pretty easy to get the right-hand motions right with a remote). That is, there are differences in the nature of the choreography that make some dances easy with a remote but hard with Kinect, and vice-versa.

It's been a couple of years since I first switched to Xbox Kinect, but now I'm better across 100% of the dances with a Kinect sensor than I am with a remote. It took me a long time to learn how to do the full-body choreography properly, and to learn the variety of things that the Kinect sensor might be looking for.

The footwork is very important. Now, when I learn a new dance, I focus on just doing the footwork right before I worry about the rest of my body. I learn the dance bottom up, so my footwork is usually pretty good. Then there are leg angles, arm angles, body leans, three-dimensional moves, and moves where it might be looking for two or more body parts to be synchronized well together, and a host of other little details that could be important for the scoring. I spent a lot of time working on the hardest Kinect dances like Aquarius, Funky Town (which has devilish moves between the gold moves), Watch Me, Gangnam Style, etc., and although these dances were frustrating to learn with Kinect, I eventually learned a lot about how the sensor works and what I needed to do to improve my full-body dancing.

It may be less frustrating and help to build confidence to start out with easier dances like Bailar, Te Dominar, Side to Side (main version), Blue, etc.

If you have 2017 and if the video challenge feature is still active for 2017 (I'm not sure as I haven't checked for a long time), you can learn a lot by watching video challenges from top players. (If not, there are tons of videos on YouTube, though a few use PS4 camera, not Kinect, which doesn't work quite the same, it's like apples and oranges.)

Though if your full-body dancing is already very spot-on and your only issue was with the body-outline image, then once you get that body-outline image to work well, you should be in good shape.

Good luck and happy dancing. :-)

UbiMorning
07-18-2019, 04:58 PM
Thank you so much for your detailed reply greekphysics!!

N3558
07-21-2019, 01:43 AM
Wow, this is amazing. I'll try and see what happens. I mean I have been dancing to "Mi mi mi" and scored way higher than I have ever on the switch.

greekphysics
07-22-2019, 05:49 AM
Wow, this is amazing. I'll try and see what happens. I mean I have been dancing to "Mi mi mi" and scored way higher than I have ever on the switch.
That's great. Good luck. :-)

greekphysics
07-22-2019, 06:06 AM
Thank you so much for your detailed reply greekphysics!!
Actually, I have a suggestion for the Just Dance team.

Part of what makes the game frustrating to some dancers is the uncertainty of how the game works, how well the sensor works, how the scoring works, and the fear that the game isn't tracking you.

Related to this is the natural human psychology that "I'm doing it perfectly" and "thus the game isn't tracking me right when I take a bunch of X's or OK's." This is reinforced when some of the easy dances are pretty forgiving, making it easy to hit strings of perfects, especially on Xbox Kinect, while the harder dances make it easy to take X's and OK's on some moves. A player hits almost all perfects on an easy dance, then gets slapped in the face with X's on a hard dance.

Plus, it's intuitive to think that an X occurs because the game doesn't track you on the move. Why? Well, if the game didn't track you on the move, you would take an X, right? I know that X's also occur due to choreography mistakes, but dancers new to a platform or mode of gameplay often suspect that the X means a technology problem instead.

I have a suggestion that may help to alleviate much frustration.

There ought to be a little session that you go through when you first use the game in a given mode of game play. The idea of this session is to give a little idea of how well the sensor works, to give players confidence that it actually tracks very well, and give a few ideas for the kinds of mistakes that one might make while dancing.

My idea is that this get-acquainted session would show a move, ask you to copy it, and give you a little feedback. There might be a dozen moves or so, which wouldn't take too long.

The first two moves should be so easy almost everyone would do them right, to prove that the sensor works.

The next however many moves (five to ten perhaps) should be clever. These should be moves that 90% of dancers will make a little mistake, for which after reading an explanation of what they did wrong, everyone will be able to correct the mistake. This will teach players that, hey, the technology actually works far better than we realize, so that when they encounter X's and OK's during gameplay, instead of thinking the sensor is faulty, they are more apt to trust that they are in fact doing something wrong.

The session shouldn't divulge all of the wonderful secrets that make the game challenging. But it should provide a handful of varied examples.

It would say, try to copy this move. Then it would offer feedback: This is the score you would receive on the move (X, OK, Good, Super, or Perfect), and this is what you did wrong (or it would congratulate you). Would you like to try it again or advance onto the next move? The should also be accessible later (not only the first time you play), in case you want to review it (or in case a friend comes to visit and wishes to check it out).

If someday the player tries a different mode of gameplay (like using a phone after first trying Kinect), the session should automatically start again, since the technology works somewhat differently.

Thanks for considering.

UbiGabrinth
07-22-2019, 07:39 PM
Thanks for the suggestion! That's a great idea in my opinion, and I'll pass it onto the team. :)