PDA

View Full Version : Getting a great gear item is like winning the lottery....and the chances are the same

LubzinNJ
07-14-2019, 05:48 AM
Think about it. Pick 5. You need all 5 numbers to hit. Backpack....3 gear attributes and 2 talents. Even allowing for rolling one you still need all 5 to be at least great individually 4 out of 5 AND the 5th to be something you can roll.

You made getting a great piece of gear winning the lottery. Thanks for nothing Massive.

i-hero
07-14-2019, 06:00 AM
I've been looking for a gila guard inventory system backpack with 2 blue 1 red and i'm not even picky with the rolls for like 5 weeks.
I think i've found 3-4 in total since wt5 started NEVER with 2 blue 1 red.

TU5's updated crafting going to solve some of this but i have no clue if they will put in blueprints for all combinations though i'm on 12/12 on backpacks and no inventory system.

LubzinNJ
07-14-2019, 06:08 AM
I've been looking for a gila guard inventory system backpack with 2 blue 1 red and i'm not even picky with the rolls for like 5 weeks.

TU5's updated crafting going to solve some of this but i have no clue if they will put in blueprints for all combinations though i'm on 12/12 on backpacks and no inventory system.

Even if the crafting thing fixes it unless they change the cost of crafting/re calibration or increase the carry capacity of crafting materials expect to spend far more time farming for materials than you ever did in TD1

Merphee
07-14-2019, 06:19 AM
You also forgot to mention the other layers of RNG:

Filtering out 15 other brand sets
Filtering out 5 other gear slots
And hoping that the drop isn't a weapon or gear mod drop.

You take your numbers up to the cashier, then hope that the machine doesn't somehow print out a scratch off, and then hope it doesn't print out a PowerBall when you were looking for a Mega Millions. You want to play again? Welp, you'll have to pay again.

Course, the way that the RNG works in any game with loot is standard stuff, I presume. Targeted grinding would mediate this without giving what you want immediately. It already exists with gear mods (shooting the supply drops), and can be done with gear in general. It's a matter of whether or not the devs want it to be. Whenever I play, I only really do Territory Controls. Two waves of enemies, quick loot, while I wait for a Conflict match. Those drops seem to favor gear more than weapons, but that might just be a placebo.

But, as I have learned in the past. I cannot mention targeted grinding without mentioning the "I wouldn't want to play something I wouldn't find fun" argument.

So, which is more important, the loot you need or the fun you have? Because the only way you will get both is if the boss at the end of your favorite activity drops a debug menu that allows you to choose the items with the exact rolls you want. In other words, impractical. Lol.

J_Tokyo_Rogue
07-14-2019, 06:57 AM
This sound like a fun game you guys are playing, what is is call?

jmart83
07-14-2019, 07:12 AM

I literally just found one today. Nothing great though. 8% armor, 14k health or something like that, 4.5% crit chance, some utility talent I can't remember, and self adjusting. It also has defensive and offensive slots. I literally don't know what to do with it. I'd rather have hardened, but I don't want crit. And I already have a Richter pack rolled similarly for my pistol build I never use.

i-hero
07-14-2019, 08:06 AM
I literally just found one today. Nothing great though. 8% armor, 14k health or something like that, 4.5% crit chance, some utility talent I can't remember, and self adjusting. It also has defensive and offensive slots. I literally don't know what to do with it. I'd rather have hardened, but I don't want crit. And I already have a Richter pack rolled similarly for my pistol build I never use.

Yeah, no that one is kinda useless if i could find one with like 8% armor 10k+ armor 5% weapon damage and hardened, i dont care about the other talent.
Would mean i could run a yahl mask instead of badger which would be a great upgrade and i would gain a little more armor as well compared to my alps backpack.

The problem they hardly ever drop for me :(

Cadillac-Jack
07-14-2019, 10:14 AM
Well I came back and decided not to care about the loot/gear or weapons. there is no point when the RNG is so vast and the game itself has a few problems internally now i'll hop on run a few things and then go.

i'm finding this game more of a jump on jump off type good for 30 mins to an hour, then go play something else.

I just don't think the loot is worth chasing anymore.

Shame reallly

kniVes-6-
07-14-2019, 11:05 AM
I can forgive all the bugs and I enjoy the gameplay and graphics immensely but D2 is completely ruined by an RNG system that you have the bare minimum control over. Tu5 will not help this in the least and tbh I don't think they have any idea how to address it or if they even want to. It's so frustrating when a game you love becomes abandoned over shear ignorance.

cn555ic
07-14-2019, 11:22 AM
I got to me a lottery win when I got a 49 DTE mask and one vest piece with 16% weapon damage. The sad part of getting the vest piece with 16% WD is that I canít even roll it onto one of my vest piece that I am using because it says itís capped at 13%! I think that system is so damn stupid. You can roll only one item which is dumb to begin, but you can even roll another item which is the same attribute but just Better %.

This alone is one of the dumbest and not well thought out execution of gear calibration.

Lol. I have a 13% weapon damage rolled. I get a 16% and try to roll it to the gear I have 13% and it states itís capped at 13%.

Lmao. What a joke of a system. This is the only thing I have to complain about with the game. All that work to get better stats and you can do shieeeet with it.

CassiousCloud
07-14-2019, 11:31 AM
I gave up on trying to get a great piece..I just hope for great attributes to show up on something I can work with or put on a piece that can come close to great..

It's slim pickins

jmart83
07-14-2019, 12:39 PM
Yeah, no that one is kinda useless if i could find one with like 8% armor 10k+ armor 5% weapon damage and hardened, i dont care about the other talent.
Would mean i could run a yahl mask instead of badger which would be a great upgrade and i would gain a little more armor as well compared to my alps backpack.

The problem they hardly ever drop for me :(

I don't recommend a badger mask no matter what unless it has awesome rolls.

eskimosound
07-14-2019, 04:45 PM
Think about it. Pick 5. You need all 5 numbers to hit. Backpack....3 gear attributes and 2 talents. Even allowing for rolling one you still need all 5 to be at least great individually 4 out of 5 AND the 5th to be something you can roll.

You made getting a great piece of gear winning the lottery. Thanks for nothing Massive.
I would rather Win the Lottery

Sunswimmer
07-14-2019, 05:31 PM

YEP, what he said! :D

scarp99anzz
07-14-2019, 06:10 PM

I have one of these in my UF build. 13.5% WD, 6.5% TA 19K Armour and it has Hardened and On The Ropes talent though OTR isn't active. Pretty decent piece for UF as it bangs the armour way up. WD I rolled onto it,

I actually get loads of these but not many of the big horn Gila backpacks.

LubzinNJ
07-14-2019, 06:47 PM

Well played sir, well played

eskimosound
07-14-2019, 10:27 PM

I've got 2 Gila Guard Inventory and 2 Gila Guard Big Horn....none of them are 500, the best one being 499 but I won't use anything else they look way too cool...and it's taken me the whole game to get them!!

Uhnomuhlee
07-14-2019, 10:43 PM
It's not like winning the lottery. You're comparing apples and oranges.

It's more like getting stopped by a train on the way to work, or getting sick while in a group.

This community exaggerates so much. I have 4 complete builds all about 80-90% optimized.

Chasing perfection is an endless and naive venture.

CassiousCloud
07-14-2019, 10:46 PM
Getting stopped by a train on the way to work because the conductor won the lottery?
:p

Riflemania
07-14-2019, 10:47 PM
I really do think the only fix for the loot system is for two attributes instead of one can be swapped.....the loot table is very complex, maybe too complex.

It's a looter shooter, at present i am shooting but getting no looting.....i do also think that RNG effects some more than others.

Uhnomuhlee
07-14-2019, 10:51 PM
Getting stopped by a train on the way to work because the conductor won the lottery?

HA! Touche lol

Demiz3r
07-14-2019, 11:15 PM
It's not like winning the lottery. You're comparing apples and oranges.

It's more like getting stopped by a train on the way to work, or getting sick while in a group.

This community exaggerates so much. I have 4 complete builds all about 80-90% optimized.

Chasing perfection is an endless and naive venture.

Ha. I don't believe you.
You are here to troll by flaming community members to fight each other. You were banned for it. :rolleyes:
The lottery system is based on an RNG system. Just like the loot in this game.

Chasing perfection is the grind of a looter-shooter. You are supposed to min-max your builds in a looter shooter... That's the whole point of the end game.

https://media2.giphy.com/media/pPhyAv5t9V8djyRFJH/giphy.gif

Back to the topic at hand.

I think this upcoming update will bring out more frustrations from the community on the current state of loot drops. Everyone will want to try out these changes to skills with their live builds and they will need to farm for loot and mats to perfect their builds. The pieces they need won't be dropping. The sense of progression is not there because the RNG is severely punishing. You have better chances of getting an Eagle Bearer than getting one brand set with the right talent with the right stats attributes so you can reroll one stat attribute. This is not an exaggeration. I am still hunting for Fenris vest with right talents and stats rolls for my raid build. I can't imagine hunting for gear with skill talents and utility attributes on the same piece of armor. There's needs to be a better way to filter out these brand sets.

We should be able to farm ODZ, Heroic activities, and Raid for quality loot drops with high stat rolls. It doesn't make sense why these activities reward you with the same loot from everywhere else. These activities are more challenging than completing "normal" activities. Yet you have the same chances of getting the same item with low stat rolls doing a heroic activity than normal activity. The only difference is the number of items dropped.

Raid drops should be top quality items with high rolls because the raid is the pinnacle hardcore activity for PvE. We should not be dismantling these drops for materials or selling them at the vendor for credits. I think most players just the look at the rolls and just leave the item there because it's not worth the trouble of storing it in your inventory.

Demiz3r
07-14-2019, 11:18 PM
I really do think the only fix for the loot system is for two attributes instead of one can be swapped.....the loot table is very complex, maybe too complex.

It's a looter shooter, at present i am shooting but getting no looting.....i do also think that RNG effects some more than others.

I think a band-aid fix would be introducing the optimization station and lifting restrictions on the recalibration table to let use reroll two attributes on gear as you said.

eskimosound
07-14-2019, 11:23 PM
🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪

Uhnomuhlee
07-14-2019, 11:24 PM
Ha. I don't believe you.

I don't care. You're opinions are usually rudimentary anyway and full of hyperbole.

And quit saying "troll". That's sophomoric and an overused term. It is used to describe any opposition and has lost all meaning. Just like saying "racist" because of what someone said. Only someone with a grade school vocabulary uses that term.

And, again, the rng in this game is not statistically comparable to WINNING a national lottery. Not even close.

eskimosound
07-14-2019, 11:25 PM
Ha. I don't believe you.
You are here to troll by flaming community members to fight each other. You were banned for it. :rolleyes:
The lottery system is based on an RNG system. Just like the loot in this game.

Chasing perfection is the grind of a looter-shooter. You are supposed to min-max your builds in a looter shooter... That's is the whole point of the end game.

https://media2.giphy.com/media/pPhyAv5t9V8djyRFJH/giphy.gif

Back to the topic at hand.

I think this upcoming update will bring out more frustrations from the community on the current state of loot drops. Everyone will want to try out these changes to skills with their live builds and they will need to farm for loot and mats to perfect their builds. The pieces they need won't be dropping. The sense of progression is not there because the RNG is severely punishing. You have better chances of getting an Eagle Bearer than getting one brand set with the right talent with the right stats attributes so you can reroll one stat attribute. This is not an exaggeration. I am still hunting for Fenris vest with right talents and stats rolls for my raid build. I can't imagine hunting for gear with skill talents and utility attributes on the same piece of armor. There's needs to be a better way to filter out these brand sets.
This...

eskimosound
07-14-2019, 11:26 PM
I don't care. You're opinions are usually rudimentary anyway and full of hyperbole.

And quit saying "troll". That's sophomoric and an overused term. It is used to describe any opposition and has lost all meaning. Just like saying "racist" because of what someone said. Only someone with a grade school vocabulary uses that term.

And, again, the rng in this game is not statistically comparable to WINNING a national lottery. Not even close.
It's EXACTLY like the Lottery.
You've got to be in it to Win it.....🤞🤞🤞🤞

Merphee
07-14-2019, 11:41 PM

Lol !

Demiz3r
07-14-2019, 11:42 PM

I can say the same thing about your previous statements and opinions.
Your analogy is faulty but okay.

Again, no one is saying that. You missed the point. Another hyperbole comment. :rolleyes:

Riflemania
07-14-2019, 11:44 PM
Chasing perfection is the grind of a looter-shooter. You are supposed to min-max your builds in a looter shooter... That's is the whole point of the end game.

100% agree with this, it's just a shame that the game won't allow this.

Demiz3r
07-14-2019, 11:57 PM
100% agree with this, it's just a shame that the game won't allow this.

In time, I think we will be able to min-max. Hopefully, in a year, the game will be in a good place.

eskimosound
07-15-2019, 12:01 AM
In time, I think we will be able to min-max. Hopefully, in a year, the game will be in a good place.
I agree most Ubisoft games take a year to settle

Uhnomuhlee
07-15-2019, 12:06 AM
I can say the same thing about your previous statements and opinions.
Your analogy is faulty but okay.

Again, no one is saying that. You missed the point. Another hyperbole comment. :rolleyes:

But you didn't. All you did was pose a strawman. Not surprised.

And there's nothing hyperbolic about what I said. My analogy is semi-sound, and the lottery analogy is not.

You have no counter, so fallacy is your only course of action. Go on keep thinking 1=5000 though. If you believe it enough, maybe it'll come true.

Just believe, I believe in you.

Visualsun
07-15-2019, 12:27 AM
What exactly do you need perfect builds for? Can finish Heroic and raid content with the current drop system.

Medicles
07-15-2019, 01:40 AM
What exactly do you need perfect builds for? Can finish Heroic and raid content with the current drop system.

They havent realized yet, that the actual problem is the lack of a constant progression system and that min-maxing just makes the hardest difficulty easier than it already is. That even the increase of Gear Score will end in stagnation when they found and recalibrated their new gear. That there wont be any incentive to play anymore, when they reached their dream build and realize that the enemies will still stay the same, that there is no possibility to go higher, but only to go wider with other builds to try out. That pvp wont rescue this game from slowly dying out anymore, like it was the case in the predecessor, because Division 2 foolishly focused on pve without important pve mechanics. There will never be a need for min-maxing in this game, they just havent realized it yet.

Visualsun
07-15-2019, 02:17 AM
They havent realized yet, that the actual problem is the lack of a constant progression system and that min-maxing just makes the hardest difficulty easier than it already is. That even the increase of Gear Score will end in stagnation when they found and recalibrated their new gear. That there wont be any incentive to play anymore, when they reached their dream build and realize that the enemies will still stay the same, that there is no possibility to go higher, but only to go wider with other builds to try out. That pvp wont rescue this game from slowly dying out anymore, like it was the case in the predecessor, because Division 2 foolishly focused on pve without important pve mechanics. There will never be a need for min-maxing in this game, they just havent realized it yet.

Yes, current system keeps me hunting for gear and I pay attention to even purple drops in the hopes I get an attribute I can recalibrate over to a high-end. Just the other day was in LZ open-world just opening gear chests and got a near god-roll health attribute that I'm waiting to recalibrate to another piece. Also, I play the raid a lot and have gotten bad drops, but have also gotten some really good pieces of gear along with exotics. Not really sure what's going on, but it just seems like the majority of the threads concentrate on increasing the quality of loot and decreasing the amount of time spent hunting for it. To me, the system has its imperfections, but its not exactly limiting me from playing the most difficult content in the game.

Medicles
07-15-2019, 03:02 AM
Yes, current system keeps me hunting for gear and I pay attention to even purple drops in the hopes I get an attribute I can recalibrate over to a high-end. Just the other day was in LZ open-world just opening gear chests and got a near god-roll health attribute that I'm waiting to recalibrate to another piece. Also, I play the raid a lot and have gotten bad drops, but have also gotten some really good pieces of gear along with exotics. Not really sure what's going on, but it just seems like the majority of the threads concentrate on increasing the quality of loot and decreasing the amount of time spent hunting for it. To me, the system has its imperfections, but its not exactly limiting me from playing the most difficult content in the game.

Man, i dont understand it either. Its quite easy and fast to build your character to the point where heroic and the raid dont offer much of a challenge anymore. Why the need to go higher? Why the need for the perfect piece with the attributes and talents you want? It doesnt matter anymore. My stash is full of pieces with high rolls, i wouldnt need much time to develope several new working builds. There is no need to search for a vest with 15% weapon damage when 10% is already more than enough. I dont need to get to 450k armor when i can easily survive with 250k and still kill the enemies without problems.