PDA

View Full Version : F4U Flying tips

3.JG51_BigBear
10-24-2005, 10:45 PM
I recenlty stopped playing online because I found it to be a massive time suck that consumed a ridiculous amount of my free time of which I seem to have less and less. I do however still enjoy playing offline and have had a lot of fun branching out from my trusty Focke Wulf which has been my main mount since the original Il2. I wouldn't call myself an excellent flyer by any means but I think I'm decent. For the most part I've been pretty pleased with my performance in other planes but the Corsair is just a nut I cannot crack. I try to keep my speed and alt up just like I would in a 190 and I stick to high energy firing passes but I just keep finding zeros riding my six. I can't shake the little ****ers.

I've loved the Hog since I was a kid and have been meaning to get around to it ever since PF was released but now that I'm finally messing with it I'm bummed because I just can't figure it out. Is there some great mystery to this plane I'm missing? Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

neural_dream
10-25-2005, 01:45 AM
Don't remember if i have any useful corsair tips in there, but you may want to check.

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/26310365/m/8311086963

polak5
10-25-2005, 01:52 AM
A guy in our squad gave us that link. That guide is awesome. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

I already downloaded and been meaning to print it out..wonder how much Ink that would take.... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Oilburner_TAW
10-25-2005, 04:33 AM
Originally posted by 3.JG51_BigBear:
I recenlty stopped playing online because I found it to be a massive time suck that consumed a ridiculous amount of my free time of which I seem to have less and less. I do however still enjoy playing offline and have had a lot of fun branching out from my trusty Focke Wulf which has been my main mount since the original Il2. I wouldn't call myself an excellent flyer by any means but I think I'm decent. For the most part I've been pretty pleased with my performance in other planes but the Corsair is just a nut I cannot crack. I try to keep my speed and alt up just like I would in a 190 and I stick to high energy firing passes but I just keep finding zeros riding my six. I can't shake the little ****ers.

I've loved the Hog since I was a kid and have been meaning to get around to it ever since PF was released but now that I'm finally messing with it I'm bummed because I just can't figure it out. Is there some great mystery to this plane I'm missing? Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

Same here. I have spent a LOT of time in this bird and am very adapt at bringing it back in 1 piece, but after the initial BNZ I have a very diffictult time getting back into an advantagous position over those pesky IJN/IJA machines. I think the worst thing about the Corsair is that you can really push it hard in a turn and pull off some maneuvers which are pretty impressive for such a big bird, but the E penalty is so significant it leaves you low, slow, and overheated.

Iron_Hand1
10-25-2005, 01:16 PM
E-retention in the Hog is a lot better for me since 4.02. if handled gently wings will now stay on to almost 800 KMH. In a dive from 3000 meters down to 500 meters, it will then climb back up to 2800 easily.
Are you playing with CEM?

S~

Oilburner_TAW
10-25-2005, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Iron_Hand1:
E-retention in the Hog is a lot better for me since 4.02. if handled gently wings will now stay on to almost 800 KMH. In a dive from 3000 meters down to 500 meters, it will then climb back up to 2800 easily.
Are you playing with CEM?

S~

Yes. I leave radiator closed (absolutely no effect on cooling) and pitch at either 95 or 100. Is there something special we should be doing?

fordfan25
10-25-2005, 05:27 PM
off line there is NO excusse for not turn fighting a zero 1 on 1 or even 2 on one. the AI even ace will not turn the zero at its fullist. i have yet to be downed in hog by a zero off line in a dog fight that i can remember.

WOLFMondo
10-26-2005, 02:02 AM
Only tips here are boom and zoom, set a hard deck of 10,000ft. Don't fight the Japanese planes, especially the Zero's best altitudes unless you have freinds.

Oilburner_TAW
10-26-2005, 04:59 AM
Originally posted by fordfan25:
off line there is NO excusse for not turn fighting a zero 1 on 1 or even 2 on one. the AI even ace will not turn the zero at its fullist. i have yet to be downed in hog by a zero off line in a dog fight that i can remember.
LOL offline is gravy, it's those online bastiges that give me fits...Especially the ones that fly IJN all the time like BF (she is merciless) or the Sentai guys.

It is kinda wierd though, if this post was "How do I fly the Mustang or Spitfire" there would be a million suggestions. Judging from the lack of responses it seems the F4U is a little harder to master.

3.JG51_BigBear
10-26-2005, 06:12 PM
I can't believe turning with Zeros on the deck in a Corsair works but it does. This AI needs some serious work.

jds1978
10-26-2005, 06:24 PM
the corsair gains speed well. translate that into a height advantage and B'n'Z till the baddies ist kaput.

takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'.

feel free to use hvar rockets against bombers (set fuse to immediate, no delay).

at very high altitude, this plane rocks while others go wimpy. say 20,000ft and above.

Iron_Hand1
10-27-2005, 12:32 PM
Yes. I leave radiator closed (absolutely no effect on cooling) and pitch at either 95 or 100. Is there something special we should be doing?

I find for level flight I can maintain 490-510 kmh with throttle at 95 and prop pitch at 85. I will usually not lower pitch more than that unless in a radical dive, and immediately start bringing pitch back up in increments when starting the zoom climb, though not too fast so 100% doesnt slow my speed, play with it until you get comfortable with what is right for you.

S~

Grey_Mouser67
10-27-2005, 08:26 PM
It is too bad that Oleg did not develop two AI algorithms...one for B&Z and one for T&B...I'm pretty sure we are strapped with one...so if he programs the Zekes to turn, so will the Fw's and Jug's and we'll be complaining about that.

This game really needs two AI routines depending on the situation and aircraft.

Opie-won
10-27-2005, 10:12 PM
Depending on the alt you are taking them on at mey be a Supercharger issue. Above 3000M I change to 2nd gear in the Supercharger and it gives better performance out of the engine. Higher altitudes require more boost. German a/c like the 109 or 190 use soemthing like a torque converter to determine how much boost is going into the engine, whereas Allied a/c use different stages and speeds that have to be manually changed. Hope that this will help out some. If it helps any i cannot count the times that I've been spanked by a Zero in a turning fight. Yo-Yo them if you can; a Hog can outclimb the Zero. When he runs outta airspeed fall back in on him and make another pass and repeat till he starts burning. Don't let them sucker you into a low speed dogfight; that is where the Zero is at it's best, and you end up fighting their fight. Only other a/c that can hope to turn with a Zero is a Spit and maybe a P-39 depending on the conditions of the fight. Of course, I'm kinda weird as I like flying Dive Bombers and Ground Attack planes. My plane of choice at present is a P-39 and taking the fight down into the dirt.

Iron_Hand1
10-28-2005, 08:48 AM
We change to 2nd "gear" lol, the second setting on superchargers in the Hog at 1900 meters, I can notice a difference (higher) in the rpm sound there.
IMO 3000 meters seems a little high to wait to change from 1st to 2nd.

S~

Opie-won
10-28-2005, 10:00 AM
1900M for switching to the 2nd stage of the Supercharger. I will note that as it is handy to know, Thanks for the tip Iron Hand http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

WOLFMondo
10-28-2005, 10:07 AM
1900m? If you change then according to the cockpit instrumentation you loose power.

I switch at 2500m to get the most power.

neural_dream
10-28-2005, 10:17 AM
1900 is early. I'd say 2400-2600 for the 2nd. The third is too high altitude. Don't bother.
Things like that i've covered i think in the guide i mentioned before btw http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif.

Iron_Hand1
10-28-2005, 02:09 PM
too early...hmmm I usually notice an RPM increase there.

I will definitely play around with it and check it out. Thanks for your tips guys.

Iron_Hand1
10-28-2005, 02:14 PM
Another tip I do that someone told me about is when taking off of a carrier (especially static) if I have a bomb loadout is to bump the mixture up to 120%.
Just don't forget to turn it off, or you'll be trying to figure why the heck it won't go once you start gaining alt.

Oilburner_TAW
10-28-2005, 05:47 PM
I'm doing all the things mentioned. I think my main problem is my flying style. I like to boom and boom and boom and turn and then zoom, but by then there isn't much zoom left for zooming....and it's overheating.

3.JG51_BigBear
10-29-2005, 11:24 PM
After putting some time in, I think I'm really starting to get the hang of it. I found that going against two Ace opponents of any Japanese type except the Ki-84 was actually really easy to handle using turning combat. I've started flying against three or four aces depending on the type to force myself to stick to energy tactics. I've found that boom n' zooming in a F4U is not the same as bnz in the Focke Wulf.

Given its size and propensity for overheating, I find I definitely need to extend away from the enemy in a very slight climb before making any drastic manuevers. Even after a high speed attack, I opt for the gradual climb out rather than the steep vertical I would normally pull with the FW. I also find that keeping the throttle at 90% when engaged forces me to conserve my energy and leaves the power there for when I really need it. Staying above 200mph is a must and keeping on top of the super charger makes a huge difference.

When a Japanese fighter gets on my six, I like to go for a gentle dive, build up speed but keep as much altitude as possible. If there isn't time I just bunt over into a dive and run, works great against zeros. Against Tony's diving and rolling works well. Despite their excellent high speed handling, the roll rate on the Tony definitely doesn't seem to keep up with the Corsair's at high speed and putting the plane into a barrel roll makes it very difficult for the AI to get a shot. I've also found that at high altitudes the best thing to do is go full throttle and go into a steep climbing turn. Just some things I've come up with.

I was also wondering if anyone knew of some good offline Corsair campaigns? Thanks.

MAILMAN------
10-30-2005, 03:19 PM
First I use feet and KIAS for my measurement. Patience is mandatory in the Corsair. Always, Always, Always fight in the vertical. Your fights will predominently have you watching your opponent in the rear quarter views until you dive to make your gun pass. Unless you are cutting in for a gun pass at high speed your maneuvers should never cause vapor to come off the wing tips. In the Air Quake dogfight servers all Japanese fighters including the KI-84 (unless it has an overwhelming E advantage) can be climbed out on even at fairly low altitudes of 5000 ft. Keep the speed at a minimum of 170 KIAS, climb with a low climbrate and turn gently in either direction (I usually turn to the right, but left works also). Turning in this high speed climb keeps planes like the "Frank" from using their excellent accelleration by going into a shallow, straight dive to build up speed to zoom on you. The turning causes him to bleed any speed gained in the maneuver. The game manual says to change supercharger speeds at 8500 ft and 24,400 feet. I have found that you get a benefit just over 6,000 ft and at 19,000 feet. The manifold pressure and RPM both increase and it lets me maintain my speed in the climb. My only reservation about this big blue bird is that the roll rate seems too slow at speeds above 200 KIAS. Just my experiences online in the servers with the settings at or close to realistic.

JFC-Slumped
10-31-2005, 05:02 AM
If you're unsure of what 'charger stage you should be on just check your manifold pressure. That obviously works in every plane, once you get a feel for what it should be in a given type you can change up and down without worrying about altitude.
Afterall the actual air pressure should change with temperature and height, so on a hot day you'll be changing at a lower altitude than a cold one to maintain pressure.

WOLFMondo
11-01-2005, 04:18 AM
Originally posted by neural_dream:
1900 is early. I'd say 2400-2600 for the 2nd. The third is too high altitude. Don't bother.
Things like that i've covered i think in the guide i mentioned before btw http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif.

For you maybe but I've grown used to flying at 6000+ metreshttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif. That way I can pick off the conga lines at 3000m and remain untouched.

MAILMAN------
11-02-2005, 09:49 PM
For what it's worth, after viewing the Zeno film on the Corsair (F4U-1, "Birdcage"), which in Pacific Fighters is represented by the Corsair MkI I found that the superchager is switched at different altitudes than what the game states it should.

The WW2 instruction film states:

In a normal power rated climb, 125 KIAS, the supercharger is changed at 8000 Feet and at 13,500 Feet.

Intercooler is open 1/2 way whenever using High or Low Blower.

Auto-Rich (we don't get this setting in the game) is used in all climbing and maneuvering.

Below is from the v3.0 Read Me File and as you can see different from the real altitudes:

F4U Variants
Switch supercharger speeds at 2,600 meters (8,500 feet) and 8,200 meters (26,900 feet)

HayateAce
11-03-2005, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by MAILMAN------:
Auto-Rich (we don't get this setting in the game) is used in all climbing and maneuvering.

F4U pilots were using the 120% fuel mix to good effect, so oleg took it away.