PDA

View Full Version : OT Texas



M2morris
06-19-2007, 04:29 PM
Greetings,
This is sort of tripple subject OT and I hope I don't confuse the hell outta you guys.
Do you guys remember the thread I started back in March about the USS Iowa being docked at Stockton California? Well, in that thread I stated that I no-longer wanted to live in the state of CA because these Californians rejected the idea and now the USS Iowa will probably be sunk and turned into an artificial reef somewhere. Well if you ask me that sucks beyond belief. Really, and for that reason(among others) I was going to move to Texas. Well, I was'nt drunk, (that much) when I said that because my wife and I now live in the area of Killeen Texas.
Morris is now in central Texas, love the weather, it's dramatic.
Oh, I saw some F-22 Raptors yesterday at the killeen airport while taxiing, saw them up-close
and awesome, I think I will like it here.
BTW, did someone here mention an anual warbird show in this area?

capt_frank
06-19-2007, 04:40 PM
Enjoy the Mex food, damn I miss it here. There's nothing like a nice warm breakfast taco...or six.

Divine-Wind
06-19-2007, 04:41 PM
I think there's a warbirds show or the like up North (Near the panhandle), can't really remember though.

Just remember... You may regret moving here when August rolls around.

M2morris
06-19-2007, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Divine-Wind:

Just remember... You may regret moving here when August rolls around.

I found a taco place capt_frank, it's kinda like someones own house kitchen. Good Mexican food.
Ft Hood was my first duty station when I joined the Army back in 1984,I was here for about 20 months before being shipped off to Nuremburg, so I kinda remember sweating my a$$ off as a private. The place is hot, damned-hot, and you can have a tornado chasing your arse down the road too, a friend of mine was driving a truck once during a heavy storm and he had a fish, a bass he said, hit his windsheild. Not boring. Better than hotter CA tho.

TAW_Oilburner
06-19-2007, 05:05 PM
You just missed a large airshow about a month ago in the Waco area. There is usually a large one in Houston and then there is one in the Odessa area also.

Welcome to God's country.

Divine-Wind
06-19-2007, 05:12 PM
Hehe, I saw a sign last night coming back from California (Scary place) somewhere between Del Rio and San Antonio, if there's a town or something between those two places, that read something like "Welcome to God's country, don't drive like he-- through it."

There's a rather small airshow that alternates between Kingsville and Corpus, revolving around the Blue Angels. Has some mock dogfights and stunts as well, pretty fun.

M2morris
06-19-2007, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Divine-Wind:
Hehe, I saw a sign last night coming back from California (Scary place) somewhere between Del Rio and San Antonio, if there's a town or something between those two places, that read something like "Welcome to God's country, don't drive like he-- through it."

There's a rather small airshow that alternates between Kingsville and Corpus, revolving around the Blue Angels. Has some mock dogfights and stunts as well, pretty fun.


I saw a sign that said: "Want to go to heaven? don't drive like hell" maybe it was the same author, hehe, somewhere in west Texas. I had a trailer tire going flat, had an exprience with a goobers garage outside Fredricksburg TX trying to get it fixed. Nice folkes, helped me out to a point. I think it was the CA license plates on my truck that had them worried,
dont blame em. But I got the tire fixed anyway.

Copperhead310th
06-19-2007, 06:03 PM
Well good for you man. By thw way....Texas is the last place going west you can get a decant plate of Grits and eggs.
Farthest western points in the us to get decant southern home cook'n:
Texas (WELL BECAUSE it's Texas & a southern state)
& Auroa, Col. ( LAST PLACE OUT WEST WERE THERE'S A wHAFFLE hOUSE) LOL

polak5
06-19-2007, 06:17 PM
Someone had posted a airshow event not to long ago that took place in north texas I cant seem to find it tho. If u dont mind the drive thers a show in galveston http://www.lsfm.org/index_offline.php (site was down for maintenance when i looked at it, but should be up soon)

arjisme
06-19-2007, 09:04 PM
Maybe you're talking about Alliance Airport in Fort Worth? They do an air show every year.

http://www.allianceairport.com/

MrKilroy
06-19-2007, 09:23 PM
They always put on a good one in Midland. http://www.commemorativeairforce.org/gatepage.php

TAW_Oilburner
06-19-2007, 09:27 PM
If you get to Fredericksburg again stop by the Nimitz museum (yep that's where he's from). There are some good static displays as I recall such as a B25, some navy plane (think an F4) and a Japanese mini sub. I'm not sure what type of minisub it was because it wasn't that "mini" but it definatley wasn't a full size sub.

Here's a link (they've even added more stuff since the last time I was there)

http://www.nimitz-museum.org/

I saw they have an engine tag from the Betty bomber Yamamoto was in when he was shot down.

Ernst_Rohr
06-19-2007, 09:39 PM
Fredericksburg is also Texas wine country, and there are some really nice winery tours down there. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

MrKilroy beat me to it on the airshow, I was going to say Midland as well. Midland is also home to several warbirds from the CAF, so its worth checking out for that as well.

Esel1964
06-19-2007, 10:39 PM
Welcome not-too distant neighbor,I'm in Waco.

The largest shows in your area are usually at: Central Texas Airshow-Temple (http://www.centraltexasairshow.com/site/)

Bluebonnet Air Show-Burnet (http://www.highlandlakessquadron.com/airshow.html)

Texas Air Fiesta-Waco (http://www.rangerwingcaf.com/RANGER/Airshow_Schedule.html)

Keep your eyes on this site,they're a very active squadron.
Devil Dog Sqdn.-Georgetown (http://www.devildogsquadron.com/contact.html)

Headquarters for the CAF is of course: Midland,TX (http://www.cafb29b24.org/).Wicked museum,as is the Lone Star Flight Museum in Galveston,both would be great weekend-travels.

Randolph AFB Show-San Antonio
http://www.randolph.af.mil/library/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=6012

It seems like earlier comments mentioned Addison,and occassionally Ft.Worth.

M2morris
06-19-2007, 10:48 PM
Wow! Thanks alot you guys for the welcomes and the information and stuff.

Esel1964
06-19-2007, 11:19 PM
M2Morris-If you like BBQ and don't know about Schoepf's in Belton-it's pretty good(close to I-35).
If you're a fan of The Second Amendment,you'll like a place called Guns Galore (http://gunsgalore.clearwire.net/),and there're semi-annual gun shows at the Belton Conv. Center.,that are usually pretty good.

If you're in the market for collectibles;Major Dad's Military Antiques,just a couple of blocks toward the Courthouse,past Schoepf's(on the same street)in downtown Belton on E. Central.
It's no bargain basement,but if you have a hard to find item on your list,he can likely help.
It's worth a look even if just as a museum. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Don't forget the museums on Ft.Hood,always changing.

If you ever make it up to Waco,PM me ahead of time,and we can grab some suds,and go to Ft.Fisher/Tx Ranger HoF (http://www.forttours.com/pages/tocftfish.asp),they've got Bonnie & Clyde's guns and stuff,D. Boone,Jesse James...I could go on and on.

Xiolablu3
06-20-2007, 04:26 AM
MOstly Hippies live in CAlifornia,

Mostly...

MEGILE
06-20-2007, 06:41 AM
All my ex-es live in Texas

I heard that somewhere

Ernst_Rohr
06-20-2007, 07:09 AM
Really? I live in Texas, my ex is in the UK.... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

CzechTexan
06-20-2007, 07:18 AM
The Airshow at Alliance Airport between Fort Worth and Denton is a good one. Last time they combined the Air Force and Navy and I assume they will continue to do this in the future. The WW2 classics also had great demonstrations and air battles/flybys.
Alliance is about a 3 hour drive from Killeen but it's worth it if you really like airshows.

Dallas has a vintage museum at Love Field (home of Southwest Airlines) and a small airshow. Last time you could pay to ride in a B-17, B-24, or B-25.

While in Dallas, go to Addison and to the Cavanaugh Flight Museum there. There are quite a few static displays of classic planes there.

Last but not least, and mentioned earlier, Waco has an annual show around Memorial Day (I think) at TSTC campus/airport in Bellmead, north Waco.

I recommend going to:
Fredricksburg to the Nimitz museum.
San Jacinto Battleground near Houston to see the Battleship Texas.
Corpus Christi to see the aircraft carrier USS Lexington.

By the way, welcome to Texas. Seems like you'll make a good Texan. As long as you think and act like us then you'll be all right. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

crucislancer
06-20-2007, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by Xiolablu3:
MOstly Hippies live in CAlifornia,

Mostly...

I live in California, and I am certainly no hippie. I bathe daily! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Morris, you are a lucky guy. My wife and me have been itching to get out of California as well. I think we settled on moving to the Potland, Oregon area, or just over the border into Washington.

TgD Thunderbolt56
06-20-2007, 08:43 AM
When I was living in San Antonio, we used to go West of town, through Hondo and attend a fantastic "underground" airshow there. I say underground because it wasn't advertised and they would do stuff there that they weren't supposed to...even back then (like low Dfing over the small crowd, pyrotechnics waaay too big and waaay to close to the same small crowd). Of course that was back in the mid 80's and most of the birds were from the now-renamed Confederate Airforce.

Heck, at that time they were still stationed in Harlingen.


I miss Whataburger, and breakfast tacos. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Divine-Wind
06-20-2007, 10:00 AM
Eh, what's this? Now-renamed CAF? What are they called now?

And yeah, Whataburger is a good alternative to McDonalds. Thank goodness. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

berg417448
06-20-2007, 10:38 AM
It is still the CAF but the "C" now stands for Commemorative.

http://www.commemorativeairforce.org/gatepage.php

Xiolablu3
06-20-2007, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by crucislancer:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Xiolablu3:
MOstly Hippies live in CAlifornia,

Mostly...

I live in California, and I am certainly no hippie. I bathe daily! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Morris, you are a lucky guy. My wife and me have been itching to get out of California as well. I think we settled on moving to the Potland, Oregon area, or just over the border into Washington. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hehe, pls disregard whatever I said there.

I was just dying to use the Alien/Cartman line...


They Mostly come at night.....mostly...

Mostly hippies go to farmer's markets.... mostly...

Divine-Wind
06-20-2007, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by berg417448:
It is still the CAF but the "C" now stands for Commemorative.

http://www.commemorativeairforce.org/gatepage.php
Ah. I was afraid some goofball might've changed their name to something more PC.

I remember going up to a little museum of theirs in Idaho. Really neat, got to crawl around inside a B-29 (Fifi, I think) and see the remains of a P-51 that had been shot down.

TgD Thunderbolt56
06-20-2007, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Divine-Wind:
Ah. I was afraid some goofball might've changed their name to something more PC.


That's exactly what it was. "Confederate" was deemed outdated, insensitive and politically incorrect. Accordingly, it was changed to Commemerative Air Force and retained the acronym.

polak5
06-20-2007, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Megile:
All my ex-es live in Texas

I heard that somewhere

thats why i hang my hat in tenesse. Clint Black song i do believe.

Divine-Wind
06-20-2007, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by TgD Thunderbolt56:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Divine-Wind:
Ah. I was afraid some goofball might've changed their name to something more PC.


That's exactly what it was. "Confederate" was deemed outdated, insensitive and politically incorrect. Accordingly, it was changed to Commemerative Air Force and retained the acronym. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Of course. http://battleforeurope.com/images/smilies/jerkit.gif You'd think they'd keep the name with all the talk about patriotism and such.

Esel1964
06-20-2007, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by CzechTexan:
The Airshow at Alliance Airport between Fort Worth and Denton is a good one. Last time they combined the Air Force and Navy and I assume they will continue to do this in the future. The WW2 classics also had great demonstrations and air battles/flybys.
Alliance is about a 3 hour drive from Killeen but it's worth it if you really like airshows.

Dallas has a vintage museum at Love Field (home of Southwest Airlines) and a small airshow. Last time you could pay to ride in a B-17, B-24, or B-25.

While in Dallas, go to Addison and to the Cavanaugh Flight Museum there. There are quite a few static displays of classic planes there.

Last but not least, and mentioned earlier, Waco has an annual show around Memorial Day (I think) at TSTC campus/airport in Bellmead, north Waco.

I recommend going to:
Fredricksburg to the Nimitz museum.
San Jacinto Battleground near Houston to see the Battleship Texas.
Corpus Christi to see the aircraft carrier USS Lexington.

By the way, welcome to Texas. Seems like you'll make a good Texan. As long as you think and act like us then you'll be all right. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Those are some top-notch ideas,Czech Texan! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

M2Morris-If you ever make it to Galveston,in addition to the Lone Star Flight Museum,check out the remains of the pre-WW1 coastal defenses.Last time I was there,you could crawl all through them.

http://www.fishermancove.net/FortTravis.asp

http://freepages.military.rootsweb.com/~cacunithistorie...0of%20Galveston.html (http://freepages.military.rootsweb.com/%7Ecacunithistories/CD%20of%20Galveston.html)

And for the best military surplus around,(they've actually got civil war surplus-and everything in between) you've got to check out Col. Bubbie's Strand Surplus (http://www.colbubbie.com/);it's so cool,my wife was willing to marry me in there. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Copperhead310th
06-20-2007, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by polak5:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Megile:
All my ex-es live in Texas

I heard that somewhere

thats why i hang my hat in tenesse. Clint Black song i do believe. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope George Strait sir.

Copperhead310th
06-20-2007, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by TgD Thunderbolt56:
When I was living in San Antonio, we used to go West of town, through Hondo and attend a fantastic "underground" airshow there. I say underground because it wasn't advertised and they would do stuff there that they weren't supposed to...even back then (like low Dfing over the small crowd, pyrotechnics waaay too big and waaay to close to the same small crowd). Of course that was back in the mid 80's and most of the birds were from the now-renamed Confederate Airforce.

Heck, at that time they were still stationed in Harlingen.


I miss Whataburger, and breakfast tacos. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

WHATABURGER...more like What-IS-A-BURGER, cuase they got no9 idea. we just got one of those here. hate em. 1st one i ever ate was in Ft. Walton. ugg. i hate them almost as much as i hated Carls Jr. when i was in Commiefornia. Pi$$ed me off big time when they truened all the damn Hardees into Carl's Jr's. uuuggg.

When i lived in Colorado i used to get FISH taco's for breakfast off the "roach coach" every morning. lol
ummm ymmm.

polak5
06-20-2007, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Copperhead310th:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by polak5:

thats why i hang my hat in tenesse. Clint Black song i do believe.

Nope George Strait sir. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well I dont know who sings it but funny enough when im drunk I can sing it. Damn I luv texas
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/heart.gif

Esel1964
06-23-2007, 10:42 PM
Sorry to bring back an old thread,but,I just thought of another good place close to M2Morris.

The Texas Military Forces Museum (http://www.texasmilitaryforcesmuseum.org/exhibits.htm) at Camp Mabry,Austin;is very nice.

Museum home page. (http://www.texasmilitaryforcesmuseum.org/index.html)

BillyTheKid_22
06-23-2007, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by Esel1964:
Sorry to bring back an old thread,but,I just thought of another good place close to M2Morris.

The Texas Military Forces Museum (http://www.texasmilitaryforcesmuseum.org/exhibits.htm) at Camp Mabry,Austin;is very nice.

Museum home page. (http://www.texasmilitaryforcesmuseum.org/index.html)


I know Texas Military forces Museum!! My Cousin live in Austin,Tx. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif I love Texas!!!

M2morris
06-23-2007, 10:50 PM
Thanks Esel, I will check that out for sure, and the same goes for all the other suggestions for museums and stuff, we will not be going anywhere. It's finally time to settle down. Thanks alot.

M2morris
06-23-2007, 10:52 PM
Oh, Hi to you too Billythekid. You popped in there while I was replying to Esel.

capt_frank
06-24-2007, 07:02 AM
"For a Good Time..."

Forgetabout 867-5309...

Call 512-858-4959, closest to heaven on earth you'll ever be, and that's damn straight.

The Salt Lick

http://www.saltlickbbq.com/

TAW_Oilburner
06-24-2007, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by Esel1964:
Sorry to bring back an old thread,but,I just thought of another good place close to M2Morris.

The Texas Military Forces Museum (http://www.texasmilitaryforcesmuseum.org/exhibits.htm) at Camp Mabry,Austin;is very nice.

Museum home page. (http://www.texasmilitaryforcesmuseum.org/index.html)

Where I work I could throw a rock and hit Camp Mabry...I had no idea that was there..thanks!

Esel1964
06-24-2007, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by capt_frank:
"For a Good Time..."

Forgetabout 867-5309...

Call 512-858-4959, closest to heaven on earth you'll ever be, and that's damn straight.

The Salt Lick

http://www.saltlickbbq.com/


You,Sir,are CORRECT! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Ratsack
06-24-2007, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Copperhead310th:
... plate of Grits and eggs.
...

I have always wanted to know what, in G0d's name, are 'grits'?

You see, where I come from, 'grit' is what gets into your engine in a dusty place.

cheers,
Ratsack

Esel1964
06-24-2007, 10:24 PM
It's coarsely ground corn meal,boiled until the water's gone making a pudding consistency,add bacon grease,salt & pepper all for flavor,and it's good stuff with the right combination to be served with;i.e. link sausages,eggs,and grits.

Esel1964
06-25-2007, 01:52 AM
M2Morriss-If you want plants that will live here,outside-year round.

Go see Reid,at Sweet Briar in Belton (http://homepages.vvm.com/%7Ereid/sweet.htm),he knows native plants like the back of his hand.