PDA

View Full Version : XP and Core2Duo

AchimT
06-19-2007, 02:26 AM
I haven't been flying for a few years, so I apologize sincerely if my questions are obsolete and the info is common knowledge. But...

I've reinstalled the whole pack from IL2 to PF on a new Core2Duo/WinXP/Nvidia8800GTS 640MB/DX9.0c machine and have applied all patches from 3.01m, 3.03m, 3.04m, 4.01m, 4.02m, 4.03m, 4.04m.

When I start PF (disk 2 in the DVD drive) I get the startup window showing an airplane over water, I can see one or two processed starting in Windows' task manager, but those processes exit again after a few seconds.

Are there any known issues with this kind of hardware or under XP that I am unaware of, and could anyone please help me find the solution if one is known?

Thank you very much in advance!

AchimT
06-19-2007, 03:15 AM
Or did I make a mistake installing everything in the same directory? As far as I remembered I purchased all Maddox products and did a merged install when I was playing them the first time around. But now I wonder, AEP - maybe I didn't have this?

I found IL2, Forgotten Battles and Pacific fighters in my cupboards. Should I have another one called AEP, meaning I messed up the installation and then installed the wrong patches on top of this? Or can I install IL2, FB and PF on top of each other in this order too?

If yes, which patches should I use for this - the merged ones or the non-merged ones?

Please help. Thank you!

stansdds
06-19-2007, 04:17 AM
The classic merged install is Forgotten Battles, then Aces Expansion Pack, then Pacific Fighters, then the patches. If you installed IL2 or FB, then PF, it will not work. If you don't have AEP then you are stuck with the PF as a stand alone sim. I would also add that if you don't have AEP and you want the complete sim, just buy the IL2:1946 DVD and patch it to 4.08, this will give you the entire collection on one disc.

AchimT
06-19-2007, 04:45 AM
Stans, thank you very much for your reply.

At first I thought that it must have to do with the new hardware because I thought I'd installed everything. But then later I started having doubts. I must have the AEP because I purchased everything from Maddox at the time, it's probably just somewhere in another box. I'll go looking for it.

So my mistake was probably installing FB into the IL2 directory, and then PF over that without AEP in-between - doh.

Thank you very much for your help!

TgD Thunderbolt56
06-19-2007, 06:28 AM
If you need to purchase AEP to get the merged install, I'd strongly recommend getting the IL2:1946 DVD instead. You can probably find it at Circuit City for $20 USD and after a one-button-install, you'll only need the 4.08m patch to be up to speed with everyone else.

This is definitely the way to go.

TB

AchimT
06-19-2007, 07:22 AM
Thanks a lot for the hints and tips guys. I have AAMOF ordered IL2:1946 DVD during lunchtime, had to pay pretty much what u suggested.

Is there btw a way to set a screen resolution of 1680 x 1050 in PF?

Also, are there any command line switches for PF on dual core processors?

TgD Thunderbolt56
06-19-2007, 07:42 AM
Look here: http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/49310655/m/7141055765

There are also a couple other threads that may better-explain how to get your picture right. Just look through the Tech-help forum.

TB

AchimT
06-20-2007, 02:14 AM
Gentlemen, I've now found my AEP CD and installed+patched everthing to 4.04; it's running well.

PF uses the 1680x1050 widescreen fully, FPS and visual quality are flawless. I'm using DirectX as I think I remember that Dx in the later versions of IL2 had better image quality than OpenGL (as opposed to the earlier versions of IL2).

I only have one wish, I'd like to be able to move the pilot seat back and change the aspect ratio to 16:10 (someone said in another thread one should do that but I cannot see how that could be done in the ini file).

Is there a way to change the FOV and/or the aspect ratio? I couldn't find an option in the ini file? Something more wide angle would definitely be useful now with this screen.

Thanks for all your help gentlemen, this is much appreciated.